Honey Birdette
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Honey Birdette Employee Reviews

Australia23 reviews
The work culture at Honey Birdette is like no other. If you’re not prepared to manipulate and seduce customers for their money, don’t bother applying. Managers have no sort of control or authority - area managers are in charge of everything, leaving you forgotten as they are in charge of too much. Ridiculous budgets and targets are set in place - unreasonable expectations are set daily, without consideration of the socio-economic area your store is situated in. Be prepared to be constantly harassed by management as to why you’re not making enough money - if customers don’t enter the store, this is YOUR fault, YOU are not doing enough to entice people into the store, despite the ridiculous prices being charged per item for such poor quality lingerie (it’s claimed to be “luxury” yet all made in China). I felt under constant stress working in this position, for a company that claims to be so “empowering” they do a good job at making their staff feel inadequate and pathetic. This company does not want to help their customers, they want their money.
This job involved a great deal of training and commitment to sales and hitting targets. I thoroughly enjoyed working for this company and appreciate the management opportunity I was given.
a day for me would be i would come in say hi to everyone the staff treat you with how all stores cooperate, with respect. a customer walks in make them feel comfortable. not many people would come in very often so some shifts were often slow. but other than that it was a great place to work
Management is so money hungry they will find any reason to fire you if you don't continuously make your KPI's. Company mentality is to push sales onto customers until they buy even if they don't want it. Claim to care about customers and feminism but only care about making money. You will be anxious everyday to make sales otherwise you are alienated. Constantly have new area managers, who come in thinking they know everything yet don't know a thing about the store.
You will be told to sell items as being "high quality" yet made in china. the company is bogus.
Pros
discounts
Cons
too much work for too little pay, every single day is an effort to keep your job.
I have worked with the company for a few years now,
In the beginning it seemed amazing, women empowerment, the wage, the incentives. soon realized what this meant.

women empowerment actually means: if your under the size 14 bracket

wages : great, but only to realise its because your casual, they change your roster just before the 24 hours mark is up and then don't contact you when you have questions about.

Communication is a ZERO!

bullying policy : bullying is tolerated as long as you make your budgets

budgets: achievable, but days where no one has come in and a girl has a few $100 left to make and feels the pressure to have to purchase items full-price so she can keep a shift? does that seem fair, specially if other girls are in the same boat but cant afford to pay their way out.

The girls that all work together are lovely but they don't stay long because they don't have the time to deal with petty companies.

I have stayed in hope to change the way others see the company, i have tried to put my foot forward but you can only get anywhere if your a Follower.

I also have stayed because the lack of knowledge and teaching some of these girls have, is appalling and people need correct information.

You try to help them and they just tell management and you lose a shift.

They have replaced experience women with 18 year girls that have no experience or anything but in the words of management "honey birdette is now targeting a different demographic"

We all used to look different ,now, you walk in we all look the same, same selling, same
 - more...
Pros
girls, my manager always took 1/2 long breaks so gave me time to make my numbers, incentives but sometimes poorly done, wages are good, its good that you can see budgets etc
Cons
management, company, expectations, rosters, hiring system, one 3 hour shift a week, unpaid travel, only heels, nail color
Management is a joke. The way they talk about their customers is disgusting. This place is a law suit waiting to happen. So many dissatisfied staff. Toxic
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everyone everything
I received a job here during Christmas period last year and I worked 5 days of training and they just stopped rostering me on and wouldn’t answer my calls or emails, and never paid me. They did so because they found out I had a second job and weren’t happy with it. They told me it was okay in the beginning, but then the manager decided to change her mind I guess? Never paid. Never compensated for my time and I even worked on my birthday. Have contact upper management many times just to be ignored. I’ve heard bad things about working for the company before, but didn’t think it would happene to me. Low and behold, they have bad rep for a reason! Don’t bother working here, staff are disposable and they don’t care.
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
Everything else
Having to put up with abuse and disgusting men on a daily basis, then for management to treat you like rubbish as well
If you don’t make your daily budgets (which most the time are ridiculously high) you’re made to feel incompetent

Very negative place to work
They claim to focus on customer service and making the customer feel beautiful and empowered, and yet they are happy to sell them lingerie that doesn't fit. They also encourage pushing sales to customers until they finally give up and don't purchase anything at all.

If you don't make your budget you are taken off the roster by higher management. You only receive benefits and discounts after a month because they are so worried you are going to leave within the month.

They treat staff like we are nothing as they are happy to give you `uniform violations' if your nails are the wrong colour.

Higher management will do anything to lie and cover themselves, just to make more sales and make over their budget.

Not to mention the strain wearing stilletos to work place on your back, if you don't wear stilletos (even with a medical certificate) you get bullied by higher management.

They also expect you to do homework every week which as a Uni student I don't have time to do ontop of assignments.

Honey birdette is the worst place I have ever worked at and I write this review so no one else has to be put through this.

DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!!
Pros
40% discount and "honey money" if you make over budget
Cons
Everything else
I made some amazing friends here due to the pressure and toxic culture. Somehow we stuck together and almost didn't realise how bad it was until we left.

Management will happily pit you against each other, make you work overtime with no pay, let customers and staff demean you regularly and then blame it all on you for being weak.

Don't work here if you want to keep your sanity or dignity
Pros
learned a lot about toxic work culture
Cons
management
I have never left a review but this place is absolutely shocking. They don't care about their staff or customers- we are told to push people into selling things that they do not want. They do not offer full time positions to their staff so that they can cull you whenever they want. Management is forever changing.. staff turnover is terrible- go figure! Don't support a company that does not care about its staff or customers.
Pros
Nil
Cons
A terrible culture work culture, executives did not treat us like humans, there was so much expected of us all the time but we were not appreciated as workers.
Pros
Good incentives
Cons
Bad work culture
A typical day a work would involve creating a relationship with anyone who walked through the door, or finding a way to attract customers if it was quiet.
I learned that I was successful in doing this, making platinum sales and KPIs every week while building many connections throughout the stores.

I not only loved being a leader, however, loved the team I worked with.

My passion was with what I did within the company and loved empowering clientele.
Pros
challenging customers view of themselves for the better.
Cons
Nil
You will be expected to push customers into purchasing things that don’t fit them right to hit unrealistic sales targets. You’ll also be encouraged to add them on your social media to develop VIPs/regulars.
If you can’t stand to backstab others to advance this isn’t the job for you. If you are a casual and there is a customer complaint that could be about you or a higher up staff member as you both worked that day and the customer wasn’t specific, you as the casual will be blamed as you are expendable.

It is a very catty and backstabbing environment, with a revolving door of managers. They as a business will not accomodate a work/life balance and if you are unwell it is very hard to get sick leave. You will also always be expected to stay back and help unpaid and if you don’t you are bullied.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Unpaid overtime, poor management, catty environment, no work/life balance, no sick leave, backstabbing, bullying
The first few months of working in this company was fabulous. The girls I was working with were absolutely lovely! They were very patient with me and helpful when I needed the support. It was easy to engage with customers as well as my communication skills have excelled considering Ive been in customer service for over 5 years.
The hardest part of this job was definitely trying to reach sales goals every single day because some days foot traffic was not as regular as other stores.
Pros
discounted items, engaging with the community, empowering others.
Cons
sometimes over time work, sales, foot traffic.
I was in HB for a little of 2 months before i was fired.I was fired for my ''Uniform'', However i have a lot of trouble accepting that reason for my dismissal.The environment is Catty/Petty and if you don't fit in. You won't be treated like a 'Honey'.

I had certain issues one morning getting into work because my car broke down, There was no trainstation in walking distance to me , all stations were 30+ minutes away. I called my Area manager (who i will name as 'K'), K proceeded to yell at me saying

''I've got a lot of stuff to do today! You can't do this to me! Get to a trainstation! I'm two hours past the city ! I dont have time for this!''

Now let's proceed to why i was dismissed, I was dismissed because my pants were flare formal pants, HB only accepts Straight cut formal pants. I didn't know this until a co-worker who i will call 'L' mentioned it to me. But because my Area manager -K and my store manager at the time wore them, i thought it was fine to wear them too. But i was the one fired at the end of the day.

And L, has gone to my Area manager K, and has dropped a few lies which K had come to me and openly admitted to me about where these accusations came from, I spoke to K addressing each and every accusation. But i dropped it after i spoke to my AM, afterall she's the one i answer to.

I personally , in all honesty loved that store and frandschise , especially making woman feel amazing in lingerie. But the whole franchise is a mirage, a pure lie.

There was a list when i worked that was sent to everyone, basically who made how much money for HB. It
 - more...
Pros
staff discount
Cons
People, Staff
I was a casual at this company and was treated very poorly. Management will ring and demand that you are available at the last minute, if you cant make it they will bully you.
Girls are rude and will throw you under the bus to make sales.

Men harass you and management do nothing about it. I have been advised by other shop keepers that there was a gentlemen filming me inside the store and I brought it with management only to be shut down.
Pros
Dress up for work
Cons
Bullying and gossip from other staff
ridiculous jobs and unrealistic targets, if youre not a pushy salesperson and care about customers feelings do not apply. Expected to sell things to customers even though they clearly dont want them resulting in customers never returning.
Rude workplace, everyone talks about one another and your constantly made to feel you're not good enough. You'll constantly be out down and you are forced to lie to customers to make money
Very, extremely sales centric - I understand this is obviously important, but far better outcomes are achieved in a system based on rewarding employees with encouragement and incentive, as opposed to punishment/humiliation. There's a reason this place has developed a reputation for a treating staff poorly. Not to mention the poor quality/inauthenticity of much of the stock - support real, small Australian brands, not Honey Birdette who brazenly steals designs.
Pros
Discounted lingerie, interesting customs
Cons
Too many to list
Fun environment most times
Don't look after casuals very well in terms with falling pregnant and needing some time off

Good incentives but a lot a pressure to make high sales
Pros
Good incentives
Cons
Pressure to make high sales