HOYTS
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Working at HOYTS: 110 HOYTS Reviews

Australia110 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Fun place to work, especially as a first job.

Good place to work at, especially for a first job. We would have periods of rushes during school holidays and weekend nights that require communication and collaboration, as well as many quiet periods during school terms and weekdays. While the rushes are quite stressful, you get used to them (I personally enjoyed them as they made the time go by faster). There are many opportunities for advancing into management positions. The work environment can be cliquey and nepotistic depending on your site location, however.

Pros

Discounted tickets

Cons

Busy nights

Overall, the social part was amazing since you could talk to anyone easily, but for the pay, and the amount of work you do isn't worth it

Working at Hoyts was usually a nice experience, however, the management would be really strict on things that weren't too important such as whether you were or weren't wearing a badge or tucking in ur shirt. They wouldn't focus on the important ideas that were given. The hours that you were given would also be incredibly long such as 5 at the least and 12 at the most, usually being around 8 hours. For the pay you're given, it's honestly terrible, but on the social side, it's amazing, you meet new people and everyone there is amazingly easy to talk to.

Pros

2$ tickets discount on food

Cons

low pay, unprofessional management

not too bad but can be better

as a 16 year old i only get payed $11.22. i requested a part time job and now im working more than 5 times in a week. hours are very long and tiring. you won't get much free time. managers were amazing but main manager didnt care about anything.

Pros

$2 tickets and $7 medium meal

Cons

very long hours, no free time

Very Busy

Quite busy job with a lot of standing around and walking. Unless you are scanning tickets or working at the bar. You can't really work when you want because there is only days that they will try and put you at.

Pros

Better than maccas

Cons

Pay is not great and it can get really busy. It's also not easy to get time off.

Fun and easy but the pay isn’t great

I made a lot of friends working at Hoyts and always found the environment very welcoming socially, and it tended to be rather laid-back on week days. However, the pay was very very low and the hours were fairly long, not to mention the management was overly strict in unimportant areas while neglecting important ones. They were also always very passive aggressive when it came to being unavailable for work despite mostly employing full time students, and there was some unprofessional cliquey behaviour at times.

Pros

Staff discounts

Cons

Low pay and unprofessionalism

Good starter job

HOYTS is amazing for the range of experience it can provide - customer service, cleaning, cashiering, food preparation, retail, RSA etc.I really enjoy the culture of friendly crew members and managers. It's fairly easy going social wise. Staff parties are always a blast.

Pros

$2 movie tickets, discounted food and drink

Cons

Low pay

What really makes the job is the people there, however it has great flexibility and was an amazing job to have whilst I was in school. Being hired part time meant I had security and felt safe in my position there. The management team are good to get along with and like to ensure you’re happy in the job whilst also being tough and fair where necessary. I would recommend this job to anyone, especially those in school!

Pros

Major discounts on tickets & Flexibility

Fun workplace, bad management & pay

The people who work there are great and the job is mostly easy (except for peak periods, however they come and go, and the crew make it pretty enjoyable anyway). However, managers are either former crew members with no real management skills or proper managers with no knowledge of actually working as a crew member. Pay is also quite inadequate (but you are part-time and are guaranteed hours so it's a win/lose). If you're looking for a fun experience and to make new friends, I definitely recommend. Any fondness I have for this job is purely due to the fun times I've had with the people there. However if you're looking for a job with competent managers and good pay, you should prioritise other job offers.

Pros

Good workmates, guaranteed hours

Cons

Low pay, somewhat bad management

Great place for a first job

Lots of opportunities to learn new skills in different areas of the company. Staff are all very friendly as well and always willing to help. You get to work with people around your age with the exception of managers and discounted movie tickets and food was an added bonus.

Pros

$2 movie tickets and discounted food and beverages funded staff screenings and games nights

Cons

Pay isn't great because it is part-time

School yard gossip

very cliquey. management are very friendly with staff and if you arent in the clique you dont get equal opportunities. very low wage and high expectation.

I really treasured my time at HOYTS

Really loved my time at HOYTS. The staff I worked with were like-minded people and management for the most part were understanding. They were flexible with availability and swapping shifts as long as you followed the rules they implemented which were quite fair such as requesting time off at least two weeks in advance. Great opportunities to move around to different areas and further your knowledge eg. move to the bar area or move to LUX. Also excellent opportunities to move into leadership positions such as a trainer or manager. All positions are part time so there is peace of mind you will always be entitled to hours each week. If you have a positive mindset going into the job and are enthusiastic and respectful to fellow staff members and crew members, you will excel and really enjoy your time at HOYTS.

Good to start as a first job

This was my first job when I was fresh out of high school. It got my foot in the door and gave me the necessary experience to understand how the workplace worked. It's fast-paced, its hard work. I did genuinely enjoy the work there. I feel the real turn off was the customers, who consistently abuse the employees there and try to bend them to their will. That in itself does give its own experience, but getting that regularly was not healthy for me. The pay was decent, it got me by, but there are other workplaces that do offer better pay. But I would still recommend Hoyts just to get the experience of work.

Pros

Discounts on food, drinks and tickets

Cons

Long hours, pay below min. wage, difficult customer work

Great Highschooler Job, Not So Great Adult Job

HOYTS is a great job when you’re young and needing that little bit of extra money in your pocket and when your parents/carers can also help. However, as I, personally, have advanced through my career at HOYTS and am now classed as older staff, I am hardly enjoying it. Favouritism, lack of hours and a lack of feeling of a comfortable environment all become so apparent after “settling in”.

Hoyts work style

Worklife at Hoyts revolves mainly around the customer's satisfaction, this involves service with a smile and making sure all their needs are satisfied. Other duties also included regularly stocking up, making food, cleaning up the work area and the cinemas, and finally to maintain a high standard of cleanliness. The relaxed workplace creates an opportunity to make great friends with fellow employees and management ensures workers are motivated to complete all tasks handed out.

bad workplace culture

poor staff, poor management and a lack of respect from staff members. the interview process is really easy and cool and they at first seem nice and friendly however when you start working they are discourteous and deceiving.

Face paced and fun environment to work in

A typical day at work would be to clean cinema's and serve customers, as well as stock confectionary and all items. Shifts would range from 4-9 hours per day. I learnt a lot of management skills, as well as being put into stressful situations. Management was always on top of things and you knew you could talk to them if need be. It was an enjoyable job for a teenager.

Productive and relaxed work place

Hoyts is a very fun relaxed work place without to many downsides good job first job and quick to learn. With the ability to progress in the company further.

Productive place to work

Gain good experience for a beginner, however career advancement is difficult if you are located outside of Sydney. Culture at sites could be improved, as well as the flexible roster.

Pros

Discounted tickets

Productive yet stressful

Some days working at hoyts could be quite, especially during school times and in the mornngs. I learn to communication through radios and talk more to customers. Hardest part is needing to recieve managements confirmation to be able to process a special offer. I enjoy the benefits of $2 movie tickets and discount on some food.

Rude Managers

I went there for an interview one on one with the managers (Sunnybank Hoyts) and they were so rude. There were two of them in the room and they kept giving each other looks that seemed like they were making fun of me. they also started laughing loudly at me when I was answering questions which made me extremely uncomfortable. Overall management is really rude.

Chill work environment

Work during weekdays is usually pretty slow paced and cruzy. Work is required to be done but is done within a friendly and inviting environment making it fun and not a task.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HOYTS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• HOYTS