Human Rights Watch Employee Reviews

Great employer
EU Advocacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Brussel-Hoofdstad17 July 2018
Working for Human Rights Watch, I have learned how such an outstanding NGO works with local NGOs and organisations, as well as EU institutions to advocate for the right cause. Great atmosphere in the office, great team.
Incredible people
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Brussel17 July 2018
I was an inter and it was an incredible experience, my first one in Brussels. The colleagues are nice, the topics treated are interesting and there is so much to learn.
Great Place to work as an intern
National Security Intern- US Programs (Former Employee) –  New York, NY19 June 2018
Laid back office culture, but important fast-paced work. They provide a great lecture series for interns to learn. Got to do real work and was very rewarding.
Pros
Free Coffee, Good lectures
Cons
no pay for interns
good place to work
Human Rights Monitor and Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC27 April 2018
Working at HRW was a privilege to me as a former human rights activist as it gave me the opportunity to contribute to the work of defending those in need.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC5 January 2018
Relaxed environment, friendly staff, etc. No one was too stressed and everyone seemed passionate about their jobs. Really enjoyed working there. Wish they paid interns though.
It was a nice working with Human Rights watch
Translator (Former Employee) –  Nairobi20 December 2017
In Human Rights Watch, I enjoyed working in team work, this teamwork enabled me to to realize how important to work as a team and more so be an active team player.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
Working hours
Meaningful Work
Intern (Current Employee) –  New York State17 October 2017
Human Rights Watch is an amazing environment. I feel like I'm helping make a change and that my work is valued. As an intern, I have to pivot from task to task and project to project which makes work exciting and meaningful. I also get to work in the Empire State Building which is a once in a lifetime experience.
Dream place to work for those with passion on international human rights mechanism
Field Research Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dar es salaam, Tanzania30 September 2017
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights nonprofit organization that was founded and dedicated to watch, research and reports everyone including each nations, governments and nongovernment’s institutions, communities and individual’s compliance and response on human rights and other international human rights treaties. It’s a place where everyone would like to work if have passion on international laws, international policies, international and regional’s human rights review mechanisms. But one must be ready and understand the challenges that will face since every human rights defender is always perceived as an enemy to the part that is alleged or suspected to violate human rights laws, policies or treaties. Every time you must be very careful to what say, note or defend whether on public or when having one on one conversation cause what you say have great impact to the image or reputation of the organization. Above all HRW is good organization with great management and great benefits.
Pros
Most of time you will work independently but your work will always be checked with highly level
Cons
Individually, most time you have to make sure you are safe
The most enjoyable part of the job
Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY28 June 2017
Human Rights Watch is a powerful cause which defines our humanity and spreads hope. It is a culture of such dedicated smart people that are interested in the world around them and beyond.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC19 April 2017
Human Rights Watch is an excellent place to work at. The people that work there are all wonderful passionate people all with incredible experience and great points of view.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Not enough to do
Productive & Inspiring
Research Assistant/Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NY30 May 2016
Hard work, but worth all of it because I am changes lives. Must be dedicated and ready to work long tireless hours. May have to work from home. Benefits include: meetings with prominent people in the international sphere.
Challanging and Heartbreaking
Human Rights Activist (Current Employee) –  New York, NY25 January 2016
I gather background information on medical and security staff in county and state jails in Louisiana. The hardest part is listening at how these inmates are being denied healthcare with such serious medical illnesses.
Great Place to Intern
Development and Outreach Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NY1 December 2015
Good guidance and great work environment to learn. People are communicative and want you to succeed. The intern program gives you the opportunity to talk about your experience with other interns and work with other HRW interns around the world.
Pros
Meetings with all departments, Check on your resume, Have the opportunity to attend talks
Cons
Sometimes hard to see the bigger picture
ok
United Nations Advocacy Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NY25 September 2015
Great Human Rights Organization dedicated to serving the rights of all categories of people, classes, cultures, and religions.
Great experience
Advocacy Fellow (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC16 November 2014
Had the opportunity to learn high-level advocacy from the best in the business. Worked on a Refugees Division report to completion.
Productive team fundraising and event planning team
Intern (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA30 September 2014
Responsible for supporting and guiding special projects in the areas of advocacy, education, outreach and development for the Los Angeles office of Human Rights Watch
• Responsible for establishing and maintaining communication with HRW constituents - and occasionally with HRW researchers and East Coast based staff - and participate in HRW Los Angeles' special events (class/work schedule permitting)
• Assisting the LA Network with initiatives and events
• Helping to plan events in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, including Human Rights Watch's annual Voices for Justice Dinner and LA Film Club Screenings
• Management is enthusiastic about their work and have a willingness to you accomplish your goals.
• The hardest part of the job is notifying an individual that we can not help individual human rights violation cases because we are simply a watchdog organization, but we provide them with referral information of others that may be able to assist them.
Productive and great time with my co-workers
Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NY1 August 2014
Go to work, enter my office and use the computer. Do researches on International Justice. I have great co-workers and they are really helpful. My job is not really hard because i enjoy doing researches that are challenging. I'm always getting great result for the fight against impunity.
Pros
Free visits to the top of Empire State Building
Cons
N/a
An amazing experience to learn how Human Rights Watch functions
Development Outreach Intern (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA17 November 2013
As a graduate student currently finishing his last month at this internship, I can say that my expectations interning at the Human Rights Watch Development and Outreach office in San Francisco have been met. The office fulfills its duties by keeping their donors informed and pleased with the work the organization's researchers perform.

As an development outreach intern, my duties were to conduct prospect research on potential donors as well as maintain the office's day-to-day operations. Tasks that are given to me by my supervisor are both challenging and fun. It is fantastic to work with such enthusiastic people who are passionate about the organization's goals by informing the public of human rights abuses around the world and their mission to defend said rights.

It is an honor to work with such a highly renowned organization committed to defending human rights worldwide.
Pros
Meet human rights defenders and researchers, attend special events
Learning working enviroment
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg North, GP7 October 2013
Prepare the boardroom for meetings held during the day.
Maintaining the smooth and effective functioning of the office; liaising with the premises landlord; responding to public queries and visitors; performing general office maintenance including stocking office supplies; assisting with travel arrangements and follow-up; answering general post, email and telephone enquirers; and maintaining office security and protocols.
The culture of HRW is really great
Intern in the Department of Finance Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NY3 October 2013
During the internship, I was primarily involved a consist of focusing on ongoing projects such as helping to reconcile international bank accounts by identifying missing items; reporting to cities on the revenue booked on their behalf; confirming that Raiser’s Edge (fundraising software) reconciles; tracking revenue adjustments and confirming changes are made in both databases; reviewing account levels for disproportionate amounts; expense reporting to cities at various intervals; and audit prep work for cities like NY and London.
Pros
good location and great company culture
Cons
keeping busy all the time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Human Rights Watch. Our community is ready to answer.

4.8