Human Rights Watch
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Human Rights Watch Employee Reviews

People were happy to engage and answer questions. There is room to grow in various departments. The work is important and that is a good driving factor.
I was not an official employee of this organization, only a recurring volunteer, but I enjoyed the work environment as always felt as if what I was doing was benefitting people.
This is a great place to work if you like to research and write. That said, as others have mentioned, the organization is relatively insular and it's difficult to get to know the more senior staff. If you want a mentor, this might not be the internship for you.
I really enjoyed my experience there even though it was a temporary job. I learned a lot about helping people and listening to asylum seekers.
Translation from French to English became really my passion.
Pros
It was interesting to learn about asylum seekers
Cons
It was a temporary job
Working for Human Rights Watch, I have learned how such an outstanding NGO works with local NGOs and organisations, as well as EU institutions to advocate for the right cause. Great atmosphere in the office, great team.
I was an inter and it was an incredible experience, my first one in Brussels. The colleagues are nice, the topics treated are interesting and there is so much to learn.
Laid back office culture, but important fast-paced work. They provide a great lecture series for interns to learn. Got to do real work and was very rewarding.
Pros
Free Coffee, Good lectures
Cons
no pay for interns
Working at HRW was a privilege to me as a former human rights activist as it gave me the opportunity to contribute to the work of defending those in need.
Relaxed environment, friendly staff, etc. No one was too stressed and everyone seemed passionate about their jobs. Really enjoyed working there. Wish they paid interns though.
In Human Rights Watch, I enjoyed working in team work, this teamwork enabled me to to realize how important to work as a team and more so be an active team player.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
Working hours
Human Rights Watch is an amazing environment. I feel like I'm helping make a change and that my work is valued. As an intern, I have to pivot from task to task and project to project which makes work exciting and meaningful. I also get to work in the Empire State Building which is a once in a lifetime experience.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights nonprofit organization that was founded and dedicated to watch, research and reports everyone including each nations, governments and nongovernment’s institutions, communities and individual’s compliance and response on human rights and other international human rights treaties. It’s a place where everyone would like to work if have passion on international laws, international policies, international and regional’s human rights review mechanisms. But one must be ready and understand the challenges that will face since every human rights defender is always perceived as an enemy to the part that is alleged or suspected to violate human rights laws, policies or treaties. Every time you must be very careful to what say, note or defend whether on public or when having one on one conversation cause what you say have great impact to the image or reputation of the organization. Above all HRW is good organization with great management and great benefits.
Pros
Most of time you will work independently but your work will always be checked with highly level
Cons
Individually, most time you have to make sure you are safe
Human Rights Watch is a powerful cause which defines our humanity and spreads hope. It is a culture of such dedicated smart people that are interested in the world around them and beyond.
Human Rights Watch is an excellent place to work at. The people that work there are all wonderful passionate people all with incredible experience and great points of view.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Not enough to do
Hard work, but worth all of it because I am changes lives. Must be dedicated and ready to work long tireless hours. May have to work from home. Benefits include: meetings with prominent people in the international sphere.
I gather background information on medical and security staff in county and state jails in Louisiana. The hardest part is listening at how these inmates are being denied healthcare with such serious medical illnesses.
Good guidance and great work environment to learn. People are communicative and want you to succeed. The intern program gives you the opportunity to talk about your experience with other interns and work with other HRW interns around the world.
Pros
Meetings with all departments, Check on your resume, Have the opportunity to attend talks
Cons
Sometimes hard to see the bigger picture
Great Human Rights Organization dedicated to serving the rights of all categories of people, classes, cultures, and religions.
Had the opportunity to learn high-level advocacy from the best in the business. Worked on a Refugees Division report to completion.
Responsible for supporting and guiding special projects in the areas of advocacy, education, outreach and development for the Los Angeles office of Human Rights Watch
• Responsible for establishing and maintaining communication with HRW constituents - and occasionally with HRW researchers and East Coast based staff - and participate in HRW Los Angeles' special events (class/work schedule permitting)

• Assisting the LA Network with initiatives and events

• Helping to plan events in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, including Human Rights Watch's annual Voices for Justice Dinner and LA Film Club Screenings

• Management is enthusiastic about their work and have a willingness to you accomplish your goals.

• The hardest part of the job is notifying an individual that we can not help individual human rights violation cases because we are simply a watchdog organization, but we provide them with referral information of others that may be able to assist them.
Go to work, enter my office and use the computer. Do researches on International Justice. I have great co-workers and they are really helpful. My job is not really hard because i enjoy doing researches that are challenging. I'm always getting great result for the fight against impunity.
Pros
Free visits to the top of Empire State Building
Cons
N/a