Hype DC

39: Hype DC Employee Reviews

Australia39 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Fun and fast paced workplace to work

It was a good experience working here, great managers and great teammates. It was quite fast paced during the holiday period but it was quite slow and quiet after the holiday. The downside is there was miscommunication from the recruiting managers in terms of the contracts. It seems they recruit a certain type of people which needs improvement.

Pros

40% discount

Cons

No job security

Bad company

Very bad company to work for. The company has 0 regard towards their employees. Instant pressure from higher ups. Nothing is ever good enough even if you hit daily, weekly and monthly targets

Great culture within team and 40% off discount

Somedays were easy and other days when the customers were more slow placed we were always questioned by higher management as to what we were doing? Other than that great start to get your foot into retail and management also.

Top Tier place to work, especially within retail.Wholeheartedly enjoyed my time here and would not have changed it for the world.

A typical day would include stacking shelves, packing boxes and speaking to customers. This would be followed with assorted admin/upkeeping tasks throughout the day, and closing up professionally afterwards.Workplace culture was super relaxed, and fun. Each days was filled with great banter between both team members and customers alike, one of the best perks of working here.Management always did their best to help out the workers. I always felt like the management team above me cared about what was happening to the workers in store, and they did their best to assist in whatever issues we were facing.The Team is always filled with like-minded people who love to hustle, and a friendly competitive attitude is rewarded. I made many good friends working here.Working at Hype also helped me learn me how to speak to people in a sales sense, and how to speak to all manner of people regardless of background. This is a skill I have found invaluable in many other aspects of my life.

Pros

Perfect work-life balance, great staff rewards, superb teams, high-quality management.

Cons

Can be boring if the shift is quiet, and working during Christmas Holidays is never ideal.

Stressful experience and unrealistic expectations

Unorganised and understaffed. Manager and upper management expected casual workers to ALWAYS be available on call last minute whilst also not giving shifts when you ask for them. My store only hired 5 workers (ALL casuals) and we were a brand new store, so everyone was expected to work almost full time hours. Availabilities are completely disregarded. The manager was fake and would evidently pick favourites - felt like a high school environment with her. Also, not enough training is provided for those who have no prior retail experience.

Pros

40% discount

Cons

minimal breaks, not feeling valued

Great team but stressful environment

A good place to work with if you love sneakers and interacting with people. However the work culture there was extremely metric-based, making it sales driven to the point it became stressful and unneeded.

Managers are idiots and literally care 0 about staff

I worked at multiple stores and the people were fine but all the managers and higher ups didn't care about anyones wellbeing just tried to force people to make money or fire them and shifted blame when speaking to higher ups

horrible managment

After the company got sold to accent group, it completely lost its culture and integrity. Would hire incompetent staff and not offer any training, therefore making the work day more difficult/stressful.

Job role at Hype

Working at hype was a nice experience. I learnt a lot, only reasons for leaving was to try something new. It is a nice easy going environment to work in although communications and upper management was not the best.

Pros

Work with nice people

Cons

Upper management's lack of decent management

Not a good company to work for.

The people casual staff are excellent and a lot of fun to work with but management is appalling and the salary is terrible. Store managers are mostly clueless and the WA manager is an absolute airhead.

Pros

Discount on shoes

Cons

Work during peak hours

Productive and fun

Formed strong relationships with my work team and regular customers Taught me how to live life to the fullest, and also be productive simultaneously Dealing with difficult customers was challenging but rewarding once they were satisfied.

Fun workplace

Can't complain getting to work at Hype IF you are lucky enough to get a good manager and area manager! Can be very biased based on friend groups within management.

Pros

Great discount and family discount

Cons

Bad management

Great team work ethic

A typical day at work is a really organised task orientated day with everyone understanding what the end goal is. Hype Dc taught me how to work under pressure on busy periods especially on festive seasons/ public holidays, being a full timer i got to work most of the time. My strongest quality that Hype Dc Taught me is being able to adapt to a new environment wether i am familiar with it or not. Management i take my hat off to them as we had some of the best managers who had been in the company for a long period of time so it made it a lot easier to learn and be guarded to the best we could be. Hype Dc is a very welcoming place, you could feel the care and priority of the customers from the employees and the employees could feel the priority and care from the head office staff who constantly supported in helping fix what ever it was that needed fixing and always letting employees know that their hard work doesn't go unnoticed. Personally I wouldn't say there was any hard part about the job as everyone knew how to rise up to a challenge and be accountable for their duties. My most enjoyable part about my job where the relationships that formed from just being coworkers to a family that didn't just see each other at work.

Pros

learning something new every day.

Cons

late pays.

Love this work

Good place to work, really good team and friendly atmosphere. It’s always a pleasure to serve customers who come in the shop for a gift to themself. Unfortunately I am looking for more shifts (full time or part time)

Unrealistic

Not the best company to work for. The wages are fair and the incentives used to be good. Staff turnover is a revolving door these days. KPI's are necessary evil but they need to be realistic. Contrary to popular opinion you can't sell ice to a eskimo.

Productive and fun

This company was great to work for, awesome managers and friendly staff. Great pay and the customers are always friendly and easy to deal with. It set a great standard for retail work.

Great cultured company

You get to encounter different customers daily, everyone loves shoes! Customers and staff. The company is quite cultured. I've noticed majority of staff that work at Hype are really outgoing and easy to get along with and work with. You work hard, but have fun at the same time.

Pros

Staff discounts

Cons

Condensing

productive and very enjoyable

You learn to prioritise your time and make the most of every shift, with the help of the management team. Always having someone there for you to help with every little thing is essential in the learning process and you can always count on other people/crew to help, creating a lovely and enjoyable environment. The hardest part in the job is to find where you fit in when you first start otherwise there isn't really anything that's "hard". Every part of the job is enjoyable and an all round great job

Pros

discounted shoes, great company all round.

Cons

nil

Productive and Fun workplace

My employment at HYPE DC was nothing but exciting and fun. The people i got the chance to work with were nothing but amazing. And the tasks given were also engaging and interesting. The most enjoyable part of the job was simply being able to engage with different kinds of people everyday. The hardest part of the job was sometimes experiencing a bad customer who just makes the day the worst. However the other employees all makes it better.

Pros

Fun Times

Relaxed and enjoyable workplace

Working at Hype DC saw me progress from a casual team member to 2IC. The progression enabled solid experience within all aspects of store & employee operations. Whilst maintaining general management duties, I had the responsibility of organising stock for new stores.

Great workplace to gain retail experience and customer service skills.

Great company to work for, people are friendly depending where you go. Managing side of company/stores needs to improve - paying more attention to workers needs whilst still being fair to their job role.

Pros

Great discount on shoes from Hype and Platypus

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hype DC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Hype DC with