Hype DC
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Hype DC Employee Reviews

Australia34 reviews
A good place to work with if you love sneakers and interacting with people. However the work culture there was extremely metric-based, making it sales driven to the point it became stressful and unneeded.
I worked at multiple stores and the people were fine but all the managers and higher ups didn't care about anyones wellbeing just tried to force people to make money or fire them and shifted blame when speaking to higher ups
After the company got sold to accent group, it completely lost its culture and integrity.
Would hire incompetent staff and not offer any training, therefore making the work day more difficult/stressful.
Working at hype was a nice experience. I learnt a lot, only reasons for leaving was to try something new. It is a nice easy going environment to work in although communications and upper management was not the best.
Pros
Work with nice people
Cons
Upper management's lack of decent management
The people casual staff are excellent and a lot of fun to work with but management is appalling and the salary is terrible. Store managers are mostly clueless and the WA manager is an absolute airhead.
Pros
Discount on shoes
Cons
Work during peak hours
Formed strong relationships with my work team and regular customers
Taught me how to live life to the fullest, and also be productive simultaneously

Dealing with difficult customers was challenging but rewarding once they were satisfied.
Can't complain getting to work at Hype IF you are lucky enough to get a good manager and area manager!
Can be very biased based on friend groups within management.
Pros
Great discount and family discount
Cons
Bad management
A typical day at work is a really organised task orientated day with everyone understanding what the end goal is. Hype Dc taught me how to work under pressure on busy periods especially on festive seasons/ public holidays, being a full timer i got to work most of the time. My strongest quality that Hype Dc Taught me is being able to adapt to a new environment wether i am familiar with it or not. Management i take my hat off to them as we had some of the best managers who had been in the company for a long period of time so it made it a lot easier to learn and be guarded to the best we could be. Hype Dc is a very welcoming place, you could feel the care and priority of the customers from the employees and the employees could feel the priority and care from the head office staff who constantly supported in helping fix what ever it was that needed fixing and always letting employees know that their hard work doesn't go unnoticed. Personally I wouldn't say there was any hard part about the job as everyone knew how to rise up to a challenge and be accountable for their duties. My most enjoyable part about my job where the relationships that formed from just being coworkers to a family that didn't just see each other at work.
Pros
learning something new every day.
Cons
late pays.
Good place to work, really good team and friendly atmosphere. It’s always a pleasure to serve customers who come in the shop for a gift to themself.

Unfortunately I am looking for more shifts (full time or part time)
Not the best company to work for. The wages are fair and the incentives used to be good. Staff turnover is a revolving door these days. KPI's are necessary evil but they need to be realistic. Contrary to popular opinion you can't sell ice to a eskimo.
This company was great to work for, awesome managers and friendly staff. Great pay and the customers are always friendly and easy to deal with. It set a great standard for retail work.
Cons
You get to encounter different customers daily, everyone loves shoes! Customers and staff. The company is quite cultured. I've noticed majority of staff that work at Hype are really outgoing and easy to get along with and work with. You work hard, but have fun at the same time.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
Condensing
You learn to prioritise your time and make the most of every shift, with the help of the management team. Always having someone there for you to help with every little thing is essential in the learning process and you can always count on other people/crew to help, creating a lovely and enjoyable environment.
The hardest part in the job is to find where you fit in when you first start otherwise there isn't really anything that's "hard". Every part of the job is enjoyable and an all round great job
Pros
discounted shoes, great company all round.
Cons
nil
My employment at HYPE DC was nothing but exciting and fun. The people i got the chance to work with were nothing but amazing. And the tasks given were also engaging and interesting. The most enjoyable part of the job was simply being able to engage with different kinds of people everyday. The hardest part of the job was sometimes experiencing a bad customer who just makes the day the worst. However the other employees all makes it better.
Pros
Fun Times
Cons
Working at Hype DC saw me progress from a casual team member to 2IC. The progression enabled solid experience within all aspects of store & employee operations. Whilst maintaining general management duties, I had the responsibility of organising stock for new stores.
Great company to work for, people are friendly depending where you go. Managing side of company/stores needs to improve - paying more attention to workers needs whilst still being fair to their job role.
Pros
Great discount on shoes from Hype and Platypus
Cons
Typical Retail work, Very number driven company with a heavy emphasis on sales targets and unit per transaction targets.

I Learnt to be patient and to always remain calm in all situations and to think problems through with a level head. The job further allowed me to practice my ability to lead and manage teams and to develop relationships through constant social interactions with customers and co-workers.

Work place culture at hype is fantastic, Individual stores will be like a family and each store cluster would be like a little extended family.

The hardest Part of the job was not being stimulated enough by the work, It lacked direction and meaning.

The Most enjoyable part of the job was to be able to help people and to witness the appreciation on their faces after I serve them. The Team bonding was another highlight of working in the Hype enviroment.
- you work with a great and fun team
- teamwork

- high motivation

- daily goals

- high level of training

- great employee discounts

- high self satisfaction

- lots of interaction with customers

- generally a fast paced environment

- stock handling
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
short breaks
Customer service is the priority of the company.
I have learned a lot about sneakers with this job.

Everyone treated each other like family. Love working in the company.
Besides working most weekends there is honestly nothing bad to say about my experience working within HYPE DC. I had a great team to work with and the store enviroment and company culture was a really good experience.
Pros
4.9/5 star
Cons
Not the best work/life balance
I started working with Hype Dc when my family friend was going on her maternity leave and was there just under a year to help out with the management with the store.
we had a very young team, but we had lots of fun, typically the customers that came in were around the same age group as us, so it was easy to build raport.

the best thing about it was always getting new product in store, trying it on, picking a favorite and trying to outsell that over another assosicates favorite.

its important to have (friendly) competition.
Pros
great team, great shoes
Cons
slow traffic at times working on a street store.