IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews

Australia252 reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Found 252 reviews matching the searchSee all 31,399 reviews

Upper Management doesn’t care about bulk employees

My full time work experience with IBM as an entry level Graduate certainly could’ve been better. I started as an intern 5 years ago and the internship is a great experience and a great entry level into the corporate world. Once I started full time, COVID was thrust upon us and the level of support I had while working from home wasn’t great. As a graduate and as someone who is just starting their career I don’t think IBM truly understood the importance of being in the office for our social lives, for networking purposes that are important for all careers and for our mental health. Working from home may have its perks but I felt like my career was going no where during this period. I can only hope that others can progress their career post covid as a young graduate.

Pros

Great entry level job

Cons

Lack of support from upper management

Too focussed on Dollars to care about people

Every time we had a vacancy in our team the vacancy was not clear to be filled for at least 3 months. This went on many times. I thought the management structure above me was particularly vague, and the only time I met my bosses boss was when there was a lot of trouble in the work place.

Great team, but…

The interview process was quite quick as I had only one interview. I thought this was a good, but I now think we should have more steps so we can understand each other.

Pros

Mentors were awesome. Professional.

Cons

Many coworkers work off hours

Never got a payise or bonus in 6 years

For other they say it's been 15 years since a payrise and they expect you to be performance reviewed? What's the point in being reviewed if your not getting anything out of it.

Pros

Work family friendly roster

Cons

No career progress

No work life balance, senior leadership is very poor

Churn and burn, working for an American company they don't really care about employees in Australia. Too slow to adapt as the company is too top heavy.

Good place to start as a fresher

A decent place for graduates and work life balance is very good. If you are technical and really want to work with latest/trending technologies, you should consider some other place.

Pros

Pay is decent, work from home flexibility, good people, excellent learning portal, globally recognised

Cons

The work can be boring sometimes

A great place to work

After several years working with many different virtual teams across many locations and geographies, I can say that I had a very fulfilling time at IBM, collaborating with highly skilled people to engineer successes for clients, as well as for IBM.

Pros

Flexibility. Opportunities. Professional work environment

Cons

Can be process bound, but often, this is necessary

Turning around

Some interesting growth areas e.g AI. However, in general still struggling to find the right direction. Constant restructuring cause top talent loss and talent underutilisation. Too much focus on cost cutting result in short-sighted decisions in many cases.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Constant restructuring

A typical day is busy. Organize it the way needed to be. Everyone very helpful, work as professionals minding yours on business. Very competitive and decent culture.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Fixed term employment

Typical big corporate organization.

Lots of layers of management and comparative culture to get good jobs, lots of inexperienced employees. Too many people involved in simple decisions. Rely on their size and reputationbl rather results.

Pros

Great offices

Cons

Management is poor

Big Blue is greatest company

I had started from call taker in 2001 and ended as a senior business analyst of whole AP regions countries.If you work hard, you will get it.Good company

Pros

Clear carrier pass

Cons

Interview them as deeply as they interview you!

Great staff at the technical levels. IBM's reputation seems to earn it some solid Government contracts. However... I should have taken the obvious hint the universe was trying to send, when the interviewer for the first interview arrived 30 minutes after the appointment time, and didn't seem to know what was going on. Accepted a senior management role, but within a month or two it became obvious the role was surplus to requirements. Let go after five months with little support or direction, and wondering why I was hired. IBM Ballarat has a close relationship with Federation University, so be prepared to work with students in "Earn and Learn" programs - this is both a pro and a con. Workplace is distant from the Ballarat CBD, with not many facilities close by.

Pros

Great technical people. Good training if you can find it.

Cons

Micromanagement, sprawling hierarchy, no onsite HR.

Relaxed work culture with minimal politics

This place is stress-free and they work very well with each individual to make sure their work/home/uni life is balanced. They cater to Uni students very well.

Pros

Company laptop

Cons

Very little career progression assistance

Best consultancy experience

Plenty of learning and exciting projects. Intellectual work culture. Great people. Great benefits. Travel opportunities. Computer technology pioneer and Global leader.

Pros

Innovative company

Cons

Utilisation

Remuneration is commensurate with expectations/workload

After 20 years I have seen many changes in IBM and what was once a great company to work for as it has afforded me many benefits in my personal life, has changed so dramatically and working for IBM has become extremely challenging for most people. From an education/skills point of view, you couldn't ask for more, it is excellent for upskilling oneself.

Diverse work culture. Opportunities are earned not given out based on years of service. Rewards are based on service delivery, reflecting committment

Team work is .essential, with ability to work under pressure and ability to work autonomously critical. Imperative that employees are focused and able to deliver on time and within budget. Job expectations are high with rewards given for good performance. Strong and diverse work culture, with IBM regularly taking out awards for their focus on diversity. Ability to adapt to change is critical in all aspects of positions available.

Excellent employer

Provides a collaborative and competitive environment to work.a lot of career path chalice was available and provide opportunities to enhance knowledge and skills.

A great experience

The work was fairly fast paced and interesting. We had a great team that did some fantastic work. At the time IBM were only just beginning to come to terms with working from home and other life balancing options.

Good place to work, though highly dependant on business unit

IBM for me has been a good place to work, though other peoples views will vary hugely based on which part of the business they are in, with many having much more negative experiences. Very sales focused culture & quarterly managed business. Never standing still, the business and people are subject to constant change to meet changing priorities and customer needs. Great people to work with, though a fairly high level of churn with people coming and going.

IBM is an excellent organisation

IBM has a good work-life balance, supports its employees well, and promotes self-development. The senior leadership team is highly motivated and transparent.

A lot of Learning opportunities

Overall my experience - we can learn a lot and grow in IBM A lot of traveling involved in a short span of time Multi culture environment. Most of them are very friendly and co-operative

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• IBM