IBM Employee Reviews

Found 185 reviews matching the search See all 23,684 reviews
Flexible working Environment
Unisys System Specialist (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC31 October 2018
. Flexible Working Hour : 7am to 3pm or 10 am to 6 pm
. Working From Home
. Organization changed quite often ( 3 to 6 Months)
. Cross Skill opportunities
Pros
Working Environment
Cons
Low Salary
A long time ago
Graphics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW31 October 2018
I enjoyed working in the city. This was a very demanding job with long hours needed to complete bids and proposals. Overall I enjoyed the challenge of this position.
not good
technical support (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW29 October 2018
I worked from agent.
6 month,
I got a new job and i decide resign.

in the contract, agent didn't tell me,
if resign without contract renewal time, they will not pay last 2 weeks salary.

I didn't get last 2 weeks salary.

Terrible work place.
Great work place to start a career
Compliance and Testing Tester / Specialist (Former Employee) –  Philippines22 October 2018
Great work place to start a career. The working hours is flexible and the organisation support it employee to be more knowledge with proper training that is inline with their goals
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Night work
Great company to work
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW20 October 2018
It is great company to work. Which provide good work/ life balance.

It also encourages to provide innovative ideas , which can help to grow in once's career.
all take, no give
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC14 October 2018
Despite the hype and talk, they treat staff like kleenex, use & throw.

Your job security is not linked to your performance, but to overall firm productivity. If the firm has a good year, then no "RAs" (resource actions). If profits go down, then the edict is given, reduce headcount across the board.

I would not recommend them to anyone.
Productive and friendly tram
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW14 October 2018
The IBM is one of the largest companies in the world.I have taken many long hours in somedays.IBM has the friendly culture of working with many benefits.The hardest part of the job is quite periods.
Pros
free brakfast
Productive and Fun Learning Experience
Inter-University Student Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW3 October 2018
As I went through Univative 2017 which is a inter-university competition. I absolutely enjoyed the IBM experience as they put us into many time constraint activities where we developed my vital skills.
Pros
Great Work-culture
Cons
Very competitive environment
Not Worth The Stress
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Helen VIC26 September 2018
Joined IBM as a senior PM. Started with a lot of promise and enthusiasm, but found within a few weeks that there was no clear planning around the role, and poor integration into the existing management structure. Existing management were protective of their own reputations, and reluctant to trust or accept my input.

Loss of confidence and lack of trust became unworkable, and right on the verge of resigning in disgust, I was let go, 5 months in. Still wondering why they ever hired me!

Best advice I can give, if you really want to work here, is to interview your hiring managers very carefully, to ensure you are really needed, and a good fit. The culture was unlike anything else I'd experienced in 33+ years of successful and productive work.
Pros
Working for a global brand
Cons
Old-school micromanagement and distrustful culture
Good but big company
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW12 September 2018
Able to be part of a large company is very exciting. However business is quite slow and it is getting replaced by other competitors in the same space.
Fun place
Managing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 September 2018
Great experience in different industries and roles very good work place to advance your career although salaries are relatively low. However heavy investment in training and development of employees
Pros
Great Work Experience
Cons
Under paid
made some good friends
Automation Consultant Contractor (Paxus) (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW3 September 2018
not a happy place to work, everyone seems stressed and confused about their future in the organisation, I guess it's a general feeling in the industry, anyway, with all the jobs being offshored, like mine, as I transferred my expertise overseas and didn't get the contract renewed after..
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
change process, too many managers, too many meetings, lack of information about contract renewal, etc
Technology leader with a big focus on work-life balance
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC28 August 2018
Truly an IT company with extensive use of IT systems or tools in every aspects of work. They also provide a lot links to webinars, knowledge websites, information on emerging technologies and access to a whole heaps of technology information on ongoing basis to enable the staff to keep themselves abreast with the changes.

The tools also connects people globally and that enable staff to reach out to the right people for information or resolution, accelerating the process turnaround time, enabling effective learning.

IBM is big on diversity and there are people from all nationality and background, brought together and governed through IBM code of ethics. Personally I have met some of most amazing people with great sense of team work and with extraordinary leadership skill at IBM. Another great offering is the work-life balance

Overall it is good place to work.
Pros
self development opportunities, work life balance
It was a different place
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC23 August 2018
The IBM of old structured themselves around the skills and competencies of staff and how they could support the customer to maximise the ability to generate profit.
Poor management making incorrect decisions.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Australia19 July 2018
Started off nicely then management kept changing and additional lanes of management were added who had no business knowledge of the client. Office dynamics shifted quickly from a great place to work to a place you did not want to walk into the office.
Learned ITIL and change management
Intel Server Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW21 June 2018
Good place to work and every change was very well documented and implemented as per ITIL standards.
IBM has a huge client base and we will get opportunities to gain experience in varied fields
Pros
Sound organisation
Cons
Less interaction with top management
gob company for work
Cleaner - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD19 June 2018
my job was to keep trash cans clean while the event was taking place. It was a very good experience because my team was very good and we communicated in a good way.
Was great to work for but the culture has changed
MTS Senior Account Systems Service Engineer QLD (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD12 June 2018
The IBM culture has changed significantly since the change in CEO a number of years ago. Employees are considered recourses that are expendable and can be replaced with cheap labor from overseas market through 3rd party outsourcing.

In saying that, in the time that I did work there, I was fortunate enough to work with many great people who dedicated 100% of their to to IBM and went over and above to contribute to it's success. Unfortunately these guys are all retiring and the culture is changing rapidly.
Pros
The people that worked their for many years to make it a success
Cons
The new culture that is trying to transform the company by dismntling what it used to be.
Compliance
Compliance focal (Current Employee) –  Hebbal4 June 2018
enjoy what i do , if the work assigned is being satisfactory.. management differs from process to process .. work like balance is good and I have the option to work from home .
Old-school Enterprise IT firm, trying to change
CIO ADVISORY & CLOUD CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 May 2018
IBM could have been great but is let down by onerous bureaucracy, favoritism and poor or non-existent leadership.

Workplace culture is oppressive and diminishing. Management varies between great and awful.

The most enjoyable aspect is that IBM was a great company and the depth of knowledge and understanding is second to none - there is nothing the company cannot do, but they cannot overcome the inertia.

You spend your whole time having to justify your existence and constantly looking for work as this counts towards your internal assessments. Too often left high and dry on the bench when plenty of work was available.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
No job security at all, favoritism in management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

57.9K