IBM Employee Reviews

Found 193 reviews matching the search See all 24,660 reviews
Productive and friendly tram
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW14 October 2018
The IBM is one of the largest companies in the world.I have taken many long hours in somedays.IBM has the friendly culture of working with many benefits.The hardest part of the job is quite periods.
Pros
free brakfast
Old-school Enterprise IT firm, trying to change
CIO ADVISORY & CLOUD CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 May 2018
IBM could have been great but is let down by onerous bureaucracy, favoritism and poor or non-existent leadership.

Workplace culture is oppressive and diminishing. Management varies between great and awful.

The most enjoyable aspect is that IBM was a great company and the depth of knowledge and understanding is second to none - there is nothing the company cannot do, but they cannot overcome the inertia.

You spend your whole time having to justify your existence and constantly looking for work as this counts towards your internal assessments. Too often left high and dry on the bench when plenty of work was available.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
No job security at all, favoritism in management.
not good
technical support (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW29 October 2018
I worked from agent.
6 month,
I got a new job and i decide resign.

in the contract, agent didn't tell me,
if resign without contract renewal time, they will not pay last 2 weeks salary.

I didn't get last 2 weeks salary.

Terrible work place.
Flexible working Environment
Unisys System Specialist (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC31 October 2018
. Flexible Working Hour : 7am to 3pm or 10 am to 6 pm
. Working From Home
. Organization changed quite often ( 3 to 6 Months)
. Cross Skill opportunities
Pros
Working Environment
Cons
Low Salary
Productive challenging and rewarding.
Project Coordinator Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW28 January 2019
Management very approachable, worked with diverse group of people where knowledge sharing always available. Especially enjoyed working with the client, workload always productive and at times challenging but rewarding. Team lunches were an added bonus.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Minimal Recognition
Large organisation that is losing control
Senior IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hobart TAS17 April 2018
The 'new' IBM is a result of transitioning the business from a leading hardware manufacturer to purely a services organisation.
The old/traditional management has left long ago, and now the business is failing under poor / inexperienced executive direction.
I fear that 'Big Blue' is in for dark days ahead...
Pros
Great work-life balance
Cons
No care for workers, no good benefits, poor money
Not Worth The Stress
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Helen VIC26 September 2018
Joined IBM as a senior PM. Started with a lot of promise and enthusiasm, but found within a few weeks that there was no clear planning around the role, and poor integration into the existing management structure. Existing management were protective of their own reputations, and reluctant to trust or accept my input.

Loss of confidence and lack of trust became unworkable, and right on the verge of resigning in disgust, I was let go, 5 months in. Still wondering why they ever hired me!

Best advice I can give, if you really want to work here, is to interview your hiring managers very carefully, to ensure you are really needed, and a good fit. The culture was unlike anything else I'd experienced in 33+ years of successful and productive work.
Pros
Working for a global brand
Cons
Old-school micromanagement and distrustful culture
Supportive and challenging
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ballarat VIC11 February 2019
Moving to IBM Ballarat a year ago was worth it. There's a good bunch of people working here and lots of opportunity for anyone who wants to make a difference. I like that I am able to just be myself when I come to work and I'm valued for it, it's great to be among people who respect and understand me. I've been fortunate to have supportive management who are helping me achieve my career goals, I've also asked for and been given opportunities to develop my leadership skills. IBM gives you access to so much learning via the intranet, it's astounding how much knowledge is there to be shared and the people you can reach out to for help are pretty supportive. There's also a lot of support from top management to grow the site, so lots of potential for future advancement.

Ballarat itself is a great place to live and work, being a regional location you've got the benefit of a more relaxed lifestyle and friendly country-town feel, yet the facilities of a city with a population of 100,000+. Plus it's not too far for a Melbourne day-trip! Pretty much anywhere you choose to live will only be a 20 minute commute at most (many of my co-workers live 5 minutes walk), and it's great for families as the council puts on all sorts of free activities during the year.
Pros
Great people
network
Senior Network Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW2 December 2018
great team culture, supporting their staff with good training. promoting agile environment, supporting creativity. great staff plans and career road map,
Pros
team building
Cons
Technology leader with a big focus on work-life balance
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC28 August 2018
Truly an IT company with extensive use of IT systems or tools in every aspects of work. They also provide a lot links to webinars, knowledge websites, information on emerging technologies and access to a whole heaps of technology information on ongoing basis to enable the staff to keep themselves abreast with the changes.

The tools also connects people globally and that enable staff to reach out to the right people for information or resolution, accelerating the process turnaround time, enabling effective learning.

IBM is big on diversity and there are people from all nationality and background, brought together and governed through IBM code of ethics. Personally I have met some of most amazing people with great sense of team work and with extraordinary leadership skill at IBM. Another great offering is the work-life balance

Overall it is good place to work.
Pros
self development opportunities, work life balance
fine
In-House Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW13 November 2018
Pros

Multinational, better than average people management, generally ethical, flexibility including work from home, wide range of career paths, don't have to excel to stand out in some teams, pay often above market medians
It was my first corporate job straight out of uni.
Asia Pacific Special Bid Leader (Former Employee) –  Pennant Hills NSW16 January 2019
IBM gave me a lot of opportunities to advance my professional skill set. I had exposure to international projects and manage projects on a global scale with a large budget.
Pros
Form strong bases for career path and gained strong process and systems skills
Cons
Corporate red tape didn't allow fast growth.
Balanced work-life balance
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW3 January 2019
IBM provides one of the best workplace cultures that I have come across. The management is flexible and lets the employee focus on his core duties. This makes IBM one of the best companies to work for.
Low salary but good place to work
Current Designation - Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Perth WA27 February 2018
Salary offered has got discrepancies
Mixed colleagues
Biased and opinionated views
management perception opinionated
human Resources is not effective
no provision for billing for bench resources
Cons
Great organization to work with
Technical Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW27 November 2018
Great experience in different roles. Very good work place to advance your career although salaries are relatively low. However heavy investment in training and development of employees. It has good ethics, policies and great flexibility for women employees.
Was great to work for but the culture has changed
MTS Senior Account Systems Service Engineer QLD (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD12 June 2018
The IBM culture has changed significantly since the change in CEO a number of years ago. Employees are considered recourses that are expendable and can be replaced with cheap labor from overseas market through 3rd party outsourcing.

In saying that, in the time that I did work there, I was fortunate enough to work with many great people who dedicated 100% of their to to IBM and went over and above to contribute to it's success. Unfortunately these guys are all retiring and the culture is changing rapidly.
Pros
The people that worked their for many years to make it a success
Cons
The new culture that is trying to transform the company by dismntling what it used to be.
all take, no give
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC14 October 2018
Despite the hype and talk, they treat staff like kleenex, use & throw.

Your job security is not linked to your performance, but to overall firm productivity. If the firm has a good year, then no "RAs" (resource actions). If profits go down, then the edict is given, reduce headcount across the board.

I would not recommend them to anyone.
Workplace and Management
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW13 March 2018
Workplace culture is not good enough. Management is not good enough and not encouraging. Not enough salary. Not enough reward for employee working hard.
Pros
Communication
A long time ago
Graphics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW31 October 2018
I enjoyed working in the city. This was a very demanding job with long hours needed to complete bids and proposals. Overall I enjoyed the challenge of this position.
Great work place to start a career
Compliance and Testing Tester / Specialist (Former Employee) –  Philippines22 October 2018
Great work place to start a career. The working hours is flexible and the organisation support it employee to be more knowledge with proper training that is inline with their goals
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Night work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

58.3K