IBM logo
IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM

IBM Employee Review

Highly process-oriented, complex organisation

I've had the pleasure to work with some highly intelligent people on 5 continents through my various roles at IBM and feel it has been great preparation for any other large organisations in future. Projects tended to span business divisions, teams, and geography, often utilising resources (people) from other accounts to achieve outcomes. This means multiple levels of reporting and accountability for all the staff working on your projects - it adds several layers of complexity and keeps the job interesting. One of the most process-driven organisations I have ever worked in, IBM puts process before it's other objectives, and often the most effective way to achieve a result is to go through the process change process in order to amend the current processes to accommodate the current circumstance and tailor the process to the project's requirements where this is an option. The most enjoyable part of the job was the direct interaction with clients, occasionally on-site with clients overseas. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with arbitrary deadlines or losing resources (Staff working on projects running on schedule tend to be re-allocated to troubled projects).

Pros

Reputable company with plenty of work

Cons

Frequent layoffs created atmosphere of fear, lack of resources

Same roleSame location

An enjoyable 7 years

I spent 7 years with IBM on the NAB account. In 2012 I was award the IBM eminence and excellence award for Project Management. IBM is a world leader in Technology and I gained immerse experience from my time there.
Same role

There is NO Job security, when Program finish your Out.

I worked for IBM for 3.5 years, the first 1.5 as a contract before going permanent with them. Only 2 years later when the account was closed, the permanents were the first to go. During this time I received very little training or advice for advancement.

Pros

Workspace is generally good.

Cons

Poor IBM infrastructure, they relie on the client hardware to run.
Same location

A typical day is busy. Organize it the way needed to be. Everyone very helpful, work as professionals minding yours on business. Very competitive and decent culture.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Fixed term employment
  • IBM