IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
IBM Employee Review

No support for contract staff

16 October 2017
Over my time at IBM, I never had personal contact with either the management team from IBM, or my direct supervisor. I was pretty much left to my own devices to shape my own position without any guidance from my manager.
19 July 2020
Same role
Project Manager (Former Employee) - Ballarat VIC
Great staff at the technical levels. IBM's reputation seems to earn it some solid Government contracts. However... I should have taken the obvious hint the universe was trying to send, when the interviewer for the first interview arrived 30 minutes after the appointment time, and didn't seem to know what was going on. Accepted a senior management role, but within a month or two it became obvious the role was surplus to requirements. Let go after five months with little support or direction, and wondering why I was hired. IBM Ballarat has a close relationship with Federation University, so be prepared to work with students in "Earn and Learn" programs - this is both a pro and a con. Workplace is distant from the Ballarat CBD, with not many facilities close by.
Pros
Great technical people. Good training if you can find it.
Cons
Micromanagement, sprawling hierarchy, no onsite HR.
3 June 2020
Same role
Project Manager (Former Employee) - Australia
Provides a collaborative and competitive environment to work.a lot of career path chalice was available and provide opportunities to enhance knowledge and skills.
9 January 2020
Same location
Security Consultant (Current Employee) - Canberra ACT
IBM has gone down the opensource path and that makes many of their Cloud offerings familiar and user friendly because many of the opensource products used have a large community backing. They also have pre-packaged a number of options to make technical on-boarding easier for many.
  1. No support for contract staff