IBM logo
IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews for Systems Administrator

Systems Administrator367 reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Found 367 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,824 reviews

Fun place to work

Learned a lot, exposed to many different areas. The experience I gained at IBM positioned me well for my current role. "As many would say, you work with a lot of smart people but you also work with some bad apples who should not be there"

Hire Contractors more for less salary

Hire Contractors more for less salary no job security, Once done the project they ask to leave the employee. Good for Freshers to start up their carrier but not good for long term

It is very productive and good workplace

IBM is a good platform to learn many things and technologies It is very productive and good workplace Employee will have good scope to expose his skill set .

Productive and Fun Workplace

Productive and Fun Workplace Learn about cloud Computing . Good Management.very nice working Culture, Supportive senior resources ,the best place for for learning and Earning .

Technical Services Team

Manage emails from customers. Change Management Meetings. Work Ticketing System. Manage and Maintain AIX, Operating Systems, Work with Storage and Network Teams. Log tickets with Vendors to work issues. Hardest part of Job is Migration of old Hardware to new Hardware. Most enjoyable working with People. .

Pros

Working with IBM Hardware and Software and virtualization

Cons

More Training

Good Experience

I was with IBM for 3 years and I am gratefull to IBM for learning everything I did and giving me an oppurtunity to grow and make a life changing decision that I am super proud of. Company structure is good and lots of good people but job security is scary as even with rest of companies are constantly outsourcing. Thank you for the experience and I am gratefull for everything learned

Pros

Life/Work Balance

Cons

Job Safety

IBM was a honor working for them.

IBM is a great company, and the culture was excellent. I had great managers that tried to get you to better yourself. They reward for all your hard work.

Good company just very large

I was part of a outsourcing with IBM. The company took over our IT department and then downsized us after the shuffle with little to no notice at all.

Okay, I guess

I worked from home so I did not see much of the culture of the company. I got the feeling that there was no chance for advancement if you were not working at one of the IBM centers.

working as system administrator at IBM

i worked as system administrator for IBM (contractor) and my direct managers is IBMER i learned many things in this projects and skills i worked on products of ibm like tsm,tivoli

Jobs at IBM

Systems Administrator positions
See more jobs

Good place

s a leading and growing global provider of payment processing, information management and fleet card payment solutions. We hire people who share our passion for continuous innovation and client service that is unparalleled in the industry.

IBM Contractor

IBM treats contractors like furniture....... they will cut your hours or lay you off to meet stock price/quarterly goals. Pay was permanently cut on two occassions

Great company to work in

IBM is a great company to work in, most people are nice with excellent team working skills, promoted by almost everyone in the company. They have some benefits but they could definitely be better.

Pros

Working environment, good people

Cons

Salary stagnates

Fun work place to work

Very busy project but because of a very nice managers it was good place to work and learnt so many thinks like knowledge based with different level, its a 24 hours shift its a hardest part as shift will rotate every 4 weeks. Very professional, friendly nature and helpful atmosphere on floor with whole team.

Good company

Good company great culture gives every employee a chance to improve. Lot of resources to help you improve. Agile training and practices team enviroment

Productive Place

I got to learn new technologies like while working on projects. So work was quite interesting most of the times. Sometimes though due to work pressure from management you feel highly stressed.

Productive, Educational, Friendly

Some areas of work can be fast pace due to high priority deadlines or urgent client needs. You learn something new everyday, co-workers become friends

Pros

friendly environment, learning experience, amazing benefits

Cons

work/life balance was a challenge--more work, less life

Productive and Fun Work Place

Excellent company. Fun work place Learnt a very good process in IBM Enjoyable part of the Job is all will very friendly. Happy and enjoy to work with IBM.

Beautiful goals but terrible in achieving them

IBM envisions itself as professional and highly standardized with enthusiastic co-workers but in reality loses professionals because of incompetent management, ignores it's own standards and co-workers are fed up with the above.

Working as a Wintel SME

Awesome place for self learning as the company provides vide range of courses for free of cost for the employees You will get an opportunity to get mentored in the area of your interest

Pros

Very good company, ocean of knowledge, diverse technology, lots of project if you're open to relocate

Cons

Hike might not be excellent, so better to enter with good bargain

Na

 Understanding Boot Process & GRUB recovery procedure.  Hands on experience in Patch and Package Administration using yum and rpm.  Configuring disks under LVM - Initializing the disks, creating volumes, File systems & mounting them.  Remediating issues with Remote console like ILO,ILOM,IMM.  In Linux Environment, Changing root Password & troubleshooting Booting (Issues) problems.  Increasing swap space on server.  Providing security to the servers using iptables.  Hands on experience in troubleshooting Os issues and hardware issues.  Adding iscsi luns and extending logical volumes on virtual machines.  Performing fsck when required to resolve file system integrity issues.  Creating and managing logical volumes by using lvm in Linux.  Coordinating with vendors like DELL for hardware replacement and support.  Monitoring, and problem identifying and replacement of Sun memory modules, system boards, disks etc. and resolving any issues related to hardware by working with the hardware vendors  Creating cronjobs as requested by customer.  Starting and stopping application services by request.  Conduct periodic reviews of information security policies, procedures, and compliance. Prepare reports of findings for review by management.  Coordinating and Root cause Analysis for major incidents using incident and Problem management, change management skills.  Coordinate with various teams like Network, backup, Storage teams  Ticketing system (Remedy); performance of change requests on production and Development servers by approval of Client & APP Team -
  • IBM