IBM logo
IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews

Work–Life Balance

Showing all 30,773 reviews

Turning around

Some interesting growth areas e.g AI. However, in general still struggling to find the right direction. Constant restructuring cause top talent loss and talent underutilisation. Too much focus on cost cutting result in short-sighted decisions in many cases.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Constant restructuring

일과 삶의 균형 추구

세일즈는 모르겠지만, 서포팅 조직의 경우 분위기 좋은 편입니다. 매니저들이 평균적으로 gentle한 편입니다. (국내 회사에 비하면 아주아주 젠틀) 휴가쓰기 자유롭고 예외상황 (아이가 아프거나 어린이집 급한 호출 등)에 유동적인 편입니다. 일은 천차만별이나, 월급루팡이신 분들 때문에 아래 분들이 업무가 과중한 경우가 있습니다. 영어를 많이 사용하는 편이고 영어가 편한 경우 우대받는 일이 가끔 있습니다.

Pros

에버랜드 가족나들이

Cons

월급루팡들이 많음

IBM was my first real job

I have 3 daughters and 3 grandsons. I have above average intelligence and I made a lot of friends at IBM and with the customers I serviced. Lots of company get togethers

Pros

Awards for good performance

Cons

No company car

Fun place to work.

Loved working here. Great co-workers. Good managers. Fulfilling work. They pay well and lots of career and education opportunities. Would highly recommend.

Would not recommend for Long-Term Careers

When you are hired, you are promised various career growth opportunities, but you will quickly find out that once they place you in a certain area, they will try to keep you there with no incentives for advancement. Bonuses and promotions are rarely given. You are not placed on projects based on your skillset and interests, but based on billable work available. Training isn't always afforded/available for the type of project work you will be assigned. Expect to use your personal cell phone and internet services for client work. No technical equipment or support is provided to you outside of the work laptop. Teammates are very supportive and helpful, but little to no support from the higher-ups. Overall, if you are looking for a job that is complacent and looking to get a start in the industry with mediocre pay, this would be the place to begin.

Pros

great introduction to career in the tech industry, supportive internal team members, diversity and inclusion

Cons

salary, work/life balance, organizational structure, management, lack of training, communication, no work phone or internet provided for analysts and consultants, etc.

Has been going downhill for years

Have worked at IBM for over 20 years. Used to be a great place to work with fair wages, education, lots of opportunities, and good benefits. However, over the years the pay was stagnant, the cut-throat politics grew, job security disappeared, internal opportunities disappeared, and the workload became unbearable as you watched your coworkers get laid off.

Pros

Remote work. Coworkers and lower management were great

Cons

Constant layoffs, stagnant pay, everyone for themselves mentality

Good

Nice to work Good work culture Work from homePaternity leave 3 monthsGood benefitsShared projects allocation is not good idealogyManagers are good

Pros

Good benefits

Flexible hours

Enjoyed my stay in this company, but salary is justifiable because workload is not that much. However you need to wait for 1 whole month for your salary too.

Pros

Schedule, wfh

Cons

Salary

Good experience!

Good compensation and benefits. Managers are always willing to help. the company has a good response on the workplace difficulties caused by the pandemic.

Learning Environment

There are some amazing people with great hearts. They are willing to learn new things and bring everyone along in the learning journey. There is a high value on learning.

Jobs at IBM

See more jobs

I loved working at IBM. I found it stimulating and learned many new things.

IBM always had their way of doing things. I spent two weeks in training before I sat down at a desk. Then I spent moving around as a temp before given a permanent assignment. The last position I had I spent half the day as a secretary and the other half of the day as a programming librarian which entailed coding PL/1. I enjoyed my work and the people I worked with!

Pros

Great training for new jobs.

Cons

None.

Great company but too much middle management.

Great pay and benefits. Good HR , Upper management performance is pretty good, a little path to move up the ranks if you are in the right group or vertical. Too many managers to report to.

Pros

Great salary and benefits.

Cons

Too many mid level management

Buena empresa

Te dejan trabajar tranquilamente, estuve en varios proyectos de los cuales aprendi mucho como operador de sistemas. Te exigen que estudies 40 horas al año tienes material para realizarlo en los servidores de estudio de la empresa o si deseas particularmente. Aprendes y enseñas de cada uno de los que laboran directa e indirectamente contigo. Dependiendo del area donde estes haces turnos rotativos, lo que mas me gusto del trabajo es el ambiente laboral. La parte mas dificil fue cuando tenia que trasladarme desde mi casa a la oficina para ir 2 horas para regresar a mi casa 3 horas el trafico es terrible. Lo mas triste es cuando te dices hasta aqui no mas llega tu vinculo con la empresa y asi pase 8 años.

Pros

Tienes todas las facilidades para poder trabajar

Cons

Para poder realizar practicas en otras areas dificil si no tienes conocidos

Decent place to work, but not for long term

This is a decent place to start off after college and get your feet wet, however don't plan on making it the place you will retire from. I worked there for almost 20 years and the culture has changed immensely, it's not the same revered IBM from back in the day. One would never have to worry about layoffs, but as the years have gone on every month there are massive layoffs. Also I found that work-life balance was almost non existent in my role. I could not take a vacation day or any time off without having to bring my laptop with and having to log in and work on my vacation.

Pros

Free Coffee/Snacks

Cons

No work-life balance

Good place to work, but...

Good place to work but only focus on numbers, results. Doesn't take into account people who are always there for their shifts versus people who seem to be sick or take time off with no notice to the rest of the team.

Pros

Work remote

Cons

no loyalty to employees

Busy all the time, not much work life balance.

The company has NO downtime. You're either overwhelmed with work, or in danger of being laid off. There is no in between, and work life balance is very difficult to maintain in an environment such as this. Management is in the same predicament, but are generally friendly and pleasant to work with.

Pros

Coworkers and management are friendly and team oriented.

Cons

No work life balance. Difficult to use time off.

very professiona

Some of the smartest and most professional people I have ever met. I Had opportunites for learning and advancement, nad worked with professionals in cutting edge technologies.

Professional approach to all aspects of the job

It's s a fast moving organisation that both drives and reacts to business and technology changes. Be prepared to work hard and reap the rewards. You'll be well supported by your manager.

Pros

Teamwork

good place to work

i am working at IBB korea as a consultant. IBM is nice place to work, but I'm not satisfied with salary and other compensation. I think WLB is not tha bed than industry average

A place of learning (It was like a 3 year at work MBA)

IBM has been a place that has helped me learn professional things with a certificate. Enthusiastic and young as it was a BTO. Got me into the habit of night time working.

Pros

Team bonding, certified corporate learning

Cons

People in middle management would not last long, heads would roll or they would roll for a better opportunity, leaving the kids to prove themselves to new managers time and again.

productive workplace

Growth opportunities in areas of demand. Opportunity for education and continuous growth. Excellent culture for management, peer support and continuous improvement to meet goals.

Pros

Great Co-workers

Cons

no work life balance depending on the area