IBM logo
IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews

Work–Life Balance

Showing all 30,777 reviews

Turning around

Some interesting growth areas e.g AI. However, in general still struggling to find the right direction. Constant restructuring cause top talent loss and talent underutilisation. Too much focus on cost cutting result in short-sighted decisions in many cases.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Constant restructuring

Lack luster start - takes time to get momentum

I was very excited to work at IBM, unitl I started and I wasn't given actual work for about 8.5 months. Usually the initial training (aka doing nothing) is about 3 months, but my own experience was a bit longer than normal due to poor hiring decisions - hiring too many employees for a single new client that ended up terminating the contract.I would go weeks without talking to my direct manager, even though he sat two desks over from myself. Although I do not blame him, he was new to the role when I started and I don't think it was in his job description to be constantly checking on me. He was a very nice guy otherwise.The starting salary and benefits are great for young adults starting their career. IBM is a great place to grow your skills. There is room for advancement but it is a very long term commitement, upwards of a decade for a management role.

Pros

Salary and Benefits

Cons

Poor Intial Training Process

Educational and Rewarding Work Experience

I enjoyed my experience at IBM. Management was helpful and supportive. Pay was fair. Benefits was were great. Coworkers were friendly and productive.

Pros

Great people and training

Cons

There is talking of the talk, but no walking of the walk

There is the saying, anyone is replaceable within 3 months, but a manager who tows the line "priceless"On many occasions I felt myself short shrift.

Great place to work if you don't get RA'd

This is a pretty good company to work for. They will, however, lay you off (Resource Actioned) even if you're a long time employee. Their severance packages are generally okay.

Pros

Benefits are ++

Cons

Cash pay --

Good Company

IBM has always been a fair company and treats everyone with respect. Lots of opportunities for advancement and a forward looking company. I would highly recommend.

Lacking competitive compensation, but great people

Worked here for about 6 years. The job advancement is pretty slow and compensation will not be competitive to top engineering firms in the area.However, the engineers are very knowledgeable, and the people are great to work with.

Pros

Flexible work schedule, remote work

Cons

No bonus, stocks, or additional compensation

Great place to work , more opportunities to learn new things .

Excellent place to have work life balance . People listens others . Excellent learning opportunities. Many free training and certification program. Difficult to move from one project to another .

Pros

Great place for learning

Cons

Difficult to move from one project to another project

Great

Still one of the best places to work on this planet. Especially in the Cyber Security Intelligence field.Executive leadership is 2nd to none.I would recommend entry level to the most experienced to give us a try with one of several thousand opportunities worldwide.

Constant Churn

There has been recurring layoffs since I joined the company with more rumors about spin offs that have made it feel very unstable. We cannot backfill when people leave which leaves little motivation for those who stay

Pros

Benefits, remote work

Cons

work life balance

Jobs at IBM

See more jobs

Good benefits, low hike

Good company to work with. Job security. Good management. Good team. Good culture. Hike is very less but you got job security. Enough paid leaves. Thanks

Pros

Job security, Good benefits

Cons

Stress

Productive and fun

IBM is a very good place for experienced candidates, we can explore more things parallelly we can enjoy more fun when participating events occasionally.

Top heavy company, not dynamic enough

Need to support legacy technology for customers, always held back to support mainframe customers. Unstable environment with constant layoffs. Not the leading technology

Pros

Respectable name

Cons

Unstable environment with constant layoffs

Good flexibility, depends on what client you get

Great flexibility, how difficult your work is depends on the client you get assigned. Working from home option is great and save a lot of time on comuting and getting stuck in traffic.

Very Good

Its an awesome culture. Very collaborative, competitive and relatively no pressure environment. There is awesome scope for professional/career progression. Lots of tools/learning portals to update skillsets and learning new technologies.

Empresa que atua com progresso do funcionário

Trabalhei com muito orgulho por 3 anos nesta empresa. Apesar de minhas atividades de alta complexidade me foi concedido varios treinamentos para sempre melhor me qualificar a exercer estas tarefas. Obtive maior crescimento professional após cada tratativa comercial. Agradeço pela oportunidade.

Pros

Plano de Saude

Cons

nenhuma

Good place to start, but not to stay

Good for the Fortune 50 experience, not worth staying at more than a couple years if you want to grow, advance, and be fairly compensated for your work.

Non productive not an employee friendly environment

IBM is no more an IBM we used to know. Gradually, it's India operation has been filled up with people in middle management who relies more on buttering and saving their own job, rather emerging as a thought provoking leaders. This racket has become fairly large and they never promote employees in actual sense. There are lack of career development and growth opportunities. All policies exists on pen and paper only and twisted as per the management need when it requires to squeeze/corner an employee who is NOT an yes man. It's "you scratch my back, I will do yours" atmosphere created in very organized way. Various operational decisions will flow down and Band 8/9/10 people are only keen to hear from YES MEN!! They created an environment gradually that damaged the harmony, franternity amongst the co-workers and there is a very unhealthy competition to be in manager's good book culture developed. This entire chain is dependant on personal level to each other. Some managers work on behalf of their tower leaders to collect house rent, cheque deposits to the bank, just to satisfy their supervisors for years. Think how they would think of their subordinates!!!?? There have been an unholy nexus formed between project managers, tech managers, tower leads and local HRs where there specific regionality matches, and come down to the employees hard as a gang to supress the employees who raise their voices. There are trememndous level of biasness and nepotism prevailing that has been flowing much above the IBM's policies on record and no senior management desire to look down below, to see -

Pros

Learning various courses

Cons

Growth, benifits, people

Great people, very interesting products, okay compensation

Compensation is okay, but better than smaller companies.Where IBM really shines is in the talented people that it has, in my case both engineers and managers.Also they have some very interesting products.

Expect a lot of travel if required by position.

If your position requires travel, expect a lot of travel. Coach is standard until you get status on airlines then upgrades are free (when available) on airlines and hotels. I do not regret my years at IBM.

Great work life balance

Great work life balance. Amazing direct manager that do listen to the employees. While there is a lot to improve but IBM is changing to the right direction.

Pros

Flexible office and work from home mix. Best work life balance

Cons

Compensation is not very competitive compared to other big tech company