IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews in Ballarat VIC

This place is stress-free and they work very well with each individual to make sure their work/home/uni life is balanced. They cater to Uni students very well.
Pros
Company laptop
Cons
Very little career progression assistance
Great staff at the technical levels. IBM's reputation seems to earn it some solid Government contracts. However... I should have taken the obvious hint the universe was trying to send, when the interviewer for the first interview arrived 30 minutes after the appointment time, and didn't seem to know what was going on. Accepted a senior management role, but within a month or two it became obvious the role was surplus to requirements. Let go after five months with little support or direction, and wondering why I was hired. IBM Ballarat has a close relationship with Federation University, so be prepared to work with students in "Earn and Learn" programs - this is both a pro and a con. Workplace is distant from the Ballarat CBD, with not many facilities close by.
Pros
Great technical people. Good training if you can find it.
Cons
Micromanagement, sprawling hierarchy, no onsite HR.
Moving to IBM Ballarat a year ago was worth it. There's a good bunch of people working here and lots of opportunity for anyone who wants to make a difference. I like that I am able to just be myself when I come to work and I'm valued for it, it's great to be among people who respect and understand me. I've been fortunate to have supportive management who are helping me achieve my career goals, I've also asked for and been given opportunities to develop my leadership skills. IBM gives you access to so much learning via the intranet, it's astounding how much knowledge is there to be shared and the people you can reach out to for help are pretty supportive. There's also a lot of support from top management to grow the site, so lots of potential for future advancement. Ballarat itself is a great place to live and work, being a regional location you've got the benefit of a more relaxed lifestyle and friendly country-town feel, yet the facilities of a city with a population of 100,000+. Plus it's not too far for a Melbourne day-trip! Pretty much anywhere you choose to live will only be a 20 minute commute at most (many of my co-workers live 5 minutes walk), and it's great for families as the council puts on all sorts of free activities during the year.
Pros
Great people
When I first started at IBM 10 years ago it was a pleasant place to work however over the years it has changed culturally and now there is a lot of uncertainty of job retention with Australian jobs going off shore to save costs for the "Big Blue". American Management does not appear to have any affinity with their Australian personnel.
Pros
I learnt a lot about fixing computer issues
Cons
IBM is not what it used to be
Large company therefore lots of areas to work within and broaden your knowledge and experience of business processes, industries and lines.
Pros
team environment
Cons
bit far
Good people to work with. Repetitive but something new was learnt. Most enjoyable part of the job were the people I worked with. Made the environment more pleasurable to work in.
Pros
Flexiable hours
Cons
Not given the chance of being full time when a casual
Saddened by my redundancy as I loved my job but the staff are great and I now have my Cert III in Business Admin
Pros
Great people, amazing clients
I like to get to work early, so I can get myself setup for the day. Most days will answer maybe 10 to 20 calls, varying from a Head office employee wanting his computer password reset or his outlook account opened or some other problem to do with his computer, to a store team member who has a problem with a register. Most of the time I am able to assist them to fix the problem during the call, but other time I will need to send the problem to a support team to fix.During quiet times I am required to call the customer and find out if the support team has fixed their problem and if not would then call the support team to find out a time period when the job would be fixed, then call the customer back to let them know. I have learned how to fill out the online forms that are sent to support teams and how to use the many varied applications used to assist customers and fellow team members in their daily work. Management and co workers are always there to help and lend assistance in problems with my computer and any queries that I have not dealt with before or do not occur very often, also they are good fun to work with at work and out of work. I find the hardest part of the job is during busy times, trying to fill out the form when there are calls waiting. The whole job is enjoyable. We have like an internal facebook system which is called sametime, which we use to communicate with co workers in the office so we do not have to shout for assistance.
Pros
casual hours
Cons
casual hours sometimes not enough. not permanent hours