IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews in Melbourne VIC

After 20 years I have seen many changes in IBM and what was once a great company to work for as it has afforded me many benefits in my personal life, has changed so dramatically and working for IBM has become extremely challenging for most people. From an education/skills point of view, you couldn't ask for more, it is excellent for upskilling oneself.
A typical day is busy. Organize it the way needed to be. Everyone very helpful, work as professionals minding yours on business. Very competitive and decent culture.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Fixed term employment
Team work is .essential, with ability to work under pressure and ability to work autonomously critical. Imperative that employees are focused and able to deliver on time and within budget. Job expectations are high with rewards given for good performance. Strong and diverse work culture, with IBM regularly taking out awards for their focus on diversity. Ability to adapt to change is critical in all aspects of positions available.
The work was fairly fast paced and interesting. We had a great team that did some fantastic work. At the time IBM were only just beginning to come to terms with working from home and other life balancing options.
IBM has a good work-life balance, supports its employees well, and promotes self-development. The senior leadership team is highly motivated and transparent.
This company was good to work for. I dont believe its appropriate to pass comment on an organizations in a small it industry. The culture was great. Management was great
this was 13 years ago - IBM will be a different company, it had great projects and very ordinary projects - the best were some of the best work times I have experienced
I spent 7 years with IBM on the NAB account. In 2012 I was award the IBM eminence and excellence award for Project Management. IBM is a world leader in Technology and I gained immerse experience from my time there.
Long hours but enjoyable teams to work with. I was consistently learning from others. Flexibility was good unless you where dedicated to a client site. Some clients showed little respect for individuals which was a little disappointing however my manager was always proactive
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Very nice place to work at. Nice management. Lots of growth opportunities. The company encourages to develop new skills and offer lots of paid certifications.
Focus is entirely on share price. Late to market. Missed the cloud by 5 years. Most experienced staff have been made redundant with many roles sent offshore as IBM focus is on cost cutting.
Lack of career advancement. IBM were looking to outsource the helpdesk and other support teams to India so the overall mood wasn't great among staff members.
no comment at this stage, this is not required from me at this point in time Not sure what else you need me to add as mentioned I don't need to write anything at this stage
The workplace has great people and flexible working arrangements are available. However, management is terrible and opportunities for advancement are very limited.
Despite the hype and talk, they treat staff like kleenex, use & throw. Your job security is not linked to your performance, but to overall firm productivity. If the firm has a good year, then no "RAs" (resource actions). If profits go down, then the edict is given, reduce headcount across the board. I would not recommend them to anyone.
The IBM of old structured themselves around the skills and competencies of staff and how they could support the customer to maximise the ability to generate profit.
Learned a lot, exposed to many different areas. The experience I gained at IBM positioned me well for my current role. "As many would say, you work with a lot of smart people but you also work with some bad apples who should not be there"
Its a great company to work for as they make you feel belong and part of the big blue family. Learn a lot of new development and knowledge and constant changes to makes the world a better place.
Pros
Rapidly changing and Evolving
Cons
Demanding
First ten years at IBM was very good. After profit downgrades in Australia and New Zealand and then management changes employees also changed their attitude in a good working environment. People started to leave the company and new employees really did not fit into the IBM work force.
No two days were the same - constant challenges drove my enthusiasm for the job. Not all was rosy though - often management (US based for me) was disjointed from what was actually going on in the field with customers. Constant re-organisations with typically poor communication about them drove moral down each year - along with resource actions causing some very good people to depart.
there was always some new tech to get involved with and learn about, but sometimes it felt getting recognition was about who you had coffee with rather than how productive you were, resource actions impacted morale, IBM has lost 1000s of years experience, sad, many managers simply trying to survive.
Pros
was able to learn a lot
Cons
morale and productivity hit by resource actions