IBM logo
IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews in Melbourne VIC

Work–Life Balance

Found 54 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,778 reviews

Remuneration is commensurate with expectations/workload

After 20 years I have seen many changes in IBM and what was once a great company to work for as it has afforded me many benefits in my personal life, has changed so dramatically and working for IBM has become extremely challenging for most people. From an education/skills point of view, you couldn't ask for more, it is excellent for upskilling oneself.

Overall pleasure to work for IBM esp early in my career

Great People, strong organisation - short term management approach limits the success of the organisation

Good company to work with

Worked on fixed term hire and can not comment on the management or job security. Overall enjoyed working for IBM Australia.

Java developer

a typical day at work what you learned management your co-workers the hardest part of the job the most enjoyable part of the job

Highly process-oriented, complex organisation

I've had the pleasure to work with some highly intelligent people on 5 continents through my various roles at IBM and feel it has been great preparation for any other large organisations in future. Projects tended to span business divisions, teams, and geography, often utilising resources (people) from other accounts to achieve outcomes. This means multiple levels of reporting and accountability for all the staff working on your projects - it adds several layers of complexity and keeps the job interesting. One of the most process-driven organisations I have ever worked in, IBM puts process before it's other objectives, and often the most effective way to achieve a result is to go through the process change process in order to amend the current processes to accommodate the current circumstance and tailor the process to the project's requirements where this is an option. The most enjoyable part of the job was the direct interaction with clients, occasionally on-site with clients overseas. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with arbitrary deadlines or losing resources (Staff working on projects running on schedule tend to be re-allocated to troubled projects).

Pros

Reputable company with plenty of work

Cons

Frequent layoffs created atmosphere of fear, lack of resources

Not very social

Everything was go go go. Learned so many tasks moving across different businesses. Met so many different people and valued their work ethics, would do it all again.

Great work life balance

Good company for work life balance, could be a bit cruel towards contractors. But they're willing to pay above market rates.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Workloads could be quite demanding

A fantastic team with nicest people around.

Always busy on escalated issues. Challenging and chance to learn new stuff

Excellent job culture at the same time very proffessional.

Had a wonderful time working in IBM ,the culture is very welcoming, patient and adjusting. Have learnt a whole lot of things professionally at the IBM.

Pros

flexible woking hours

Cons

too many processes

table tennies

It was very good environment. Enjoyed with management, co-workers

Pros

team lunch

Cons

not all the time only during fun time

Jobs at IBM

in Melbourne VIC
See more jobs

Ibm is a great place to work in, it provided a good work life balance and being a big organization we had the chance to gain a wealth of knowledge. Management were very professional and the diversified culture at work enabled all of us to learn from each other and respect each other. We were continuously busy and every day was a challenge in it's self, by this we were continuously learning new things. The most enjoyable part of the job is by far the people we worked with, we all got along well with each other and always helped each other.

Pros

Multicultural, big company to move around in, good work/life balance

Cons

No cons

Good Pay and experience of Multiple Large scale environments

Good Pay and experience of Multiple Large scale environments

Pros

pay is better than a lot of places

Cons

after hour work

If you want to put IBM before your family, friends and clients it is good

IBM espouses virtues such as:diversity - I was personally denied parental leaveemployee assistance - I was forced to withdraw a compensation claim for a nervous breakdown on the jobI was selected for redundancy based upon an accepted medical condition. The day after an executive called and became abusiveI was told that working the equivalent of 2 extra months a YEAR for several years was expected and nothing special.Reporting an executive for threatening to jump on a plane to "sort out" an Indian colleague resulted in no action.IBMA removed tea, coffee, milk, sugar, cups and gave us a coffee cup to make up for it.There is no staff Christmas partyThe Children's Christmas party in Sydney is ALWAYS at Luna Park. Last year they didn't give the kids anything.HR removed:- shift loading on long service leave- shift loading paid on sick leave beyond 20 days a year (IBM provides up to 1 year off sick in 2)- double time for extra hours worked replacing it with a flat rate- if they do make up for anything they take aware it invariably puts you outside your pay band so you wont get a payrise again until the market as they view it catches up- pay rises average 2% per year if that- only sales people get awards. The rest of us have to work longer hours to keep the promises that they make.

Pros

its a job

Cons

extremely long hours, management poor, execs extremely poor. hr view staff as "them"

Work and life balance

IBM and Telstra are the good company to work with, expecially work and life balance.

Pros

work and life balance.

Cons

no overtime pay
  • IBM