IBM logo
IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews in Boulder, CO

Work–Life Balance

Found 420 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,773 reviews

Has been going downhill for years

Have worked at IBM for over 20 years. Used to be a great place to work with fair wages, education, lots of opportunities, and good benefits. However, over the years the pay was stagnant, the cut-throat politics grew, job security disappeared, internal opportunities disappeared, and the workload became unbearable as you watched your coworkers get laid off.

Pros

Remote work. Coworkers and lower management were great

Cons

Constant layoffs, stagnant pay, everyone for themselves mentality

Just the worst place to work.

Just the worst place to work. I cannot believe that these people have kept this company alive for so long. The only thing you can do is take the job and IMMEDIATELY start looking elsewhere.

Lays people off a lot

I loved working for IBM but always lived on the edge wondering if I would have a job the next day. They have so many lay offs. Other then that I enjoyed the company

Out of touch

A typical day at IBM could be a meeting where they ask why work isn't being performed by the team any longer. Response: you laid off everyone with that skill. Upper management: That's no excuse! Response: No, it's not, it's reality. They ask for more work but with fewer people and lower pay. My first and lowest salary offer after leaving IBM is 27% more than my top pay at IBM.Lower management and the "workers" are great. Management, at least some, attempt to make up for the failure of upper-level managers while struggling to hold on to as much talent as they can.The hardest part of the job was wondering if today is my day on the chopping block. The best parts of the job were eliminated years ago.

Pros

Cons

No pension plan, low pay, constant layoffs, poor judgement

High production environment, peers worked hard, set the example

Overall good, some of my leads and managers previously performed the 1st job I performed. High production testing and assembly. Self reliance.Managment was average, numbers / defect driven.People of many backgrounds, most added to success of team / dept goals. MonotonousWorked with many "'characters".

Pros

overtime, credit union, suggestion plans, stock plans, tution refund program, travel

I enjoyed working here. I really felt like I was valued and appreciated as an employee. The management was great and there was also plenty of ways to advance.

Pros

Great cafeteria food, free snacks from the coffee shop

Cons

Nada

Management communication

IBM management is nowhere to be found and never available when one needed advice or questions answered. There is no training when you get hired. I was let go for being proactive and giving myself work at the beginning of each day.

Pros

Time off when needed

Cons

Communication

Pay below value

For the effort needed pay was very low, not reliable work, eventually closed the call center and farmed it to India , they were nice, flexible and grateful we worked there, many people were so overqualified, phd, in nuclear physics for example 2 separate coworkers is degree.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Low pay

Not for everyone

I do enjoy working just 4 days a week, but each day I do work is 7:30am-6:30pm. It is long unrewarding work. Most days I honestly feel like I am teaching a computer literacy class for seniors, half of my calls are from elderly people who have no idea how to operate a computer whatsoever, even though they interact with a pc on a day to day basis. On the occasion I get a genuinely interesting call from somebody who has a genuine problem and have a blast problem solving. But for the most part its older people who just call in already angry because they messed up their computer.

Pros

Good pay, nice schedule

Cons

Unrewarding, long hours

Once you get on its a good place to challenge your skillset.

One of the best companies I have worked for. Having said that, stability is an issue as you are always under the gun with whether your will have a job in the coming year or not.

Good Company

Very good company. Flexible hours and Lunch break. Good Management. An equal Opportunity Employer. Treat very well. Allow work from Home. Clean Environment. Good Management

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Lunch Breaks

It's decent

During Covid-19 the associate who work here are told to work remotely. This is great if you have decent internet but it does cross over the home and work aspects. While in office everyone is super nice and it's almost always a good time. There are several break areas and even a room where people can relax, play some ping pong, and enjoy themselves. The job itself isn't difficult and the management is always willing to assist or further training if needed. Overall, the place is nice and the people are even nicer.

Professional and innovative company.

I enjoyed and gained experience working at IBM. My manager and coworkers were great people. My work load was fair and easy. I made many connections with folks there.

Age discrimination

I enjoyed much of my time working at IBM but the end of my career was terrible. The upper management was mediocre for much of the last two executives terms. Assignments were a merry-go-round and IBM squandered its advantage in both customer relationships and provision of service. Its push to disenfranchise experienced workers to cut costs while failing to address really poor executive leadership and execution has rendered it an afterthought in the technology marketplace for much of the areas it competes in.

Pros

Plethora of technologies, good pay packages

Cons

Corporate culture, feckless leadership, clueless board, lack of vision, slow to market

They have many shifts

Good company. Excellent training. Difficult to advance from call center.They are constantly changing with the times, which is good. Don't know if any in CA.

Excellent university, great pool of opportunities.

The good: Excellent university, great pool of opportunities, global culture. The bad: red tape, pre-established processes that may not fit all situations.

Hires mostly contrators

It is difficult to get hired by IBM directly as most employees start as a contractor at low wages. If you are able to get hired by IBM, salary doubles. Contractors hired may not have any IT experience at all.

Pros

Cafeteria

Cons

Treated like cattle

Cci ibm

Great work life balance. Wonderful place to be as a contractor while earning college degree credit or languages for advancement. Benefits are great when working to achieve a new life balance and education.

Pros

Great place for innovation and learning gaining experience.

Work from home availablity

Very flexible scheduling and ability to remotely access all supported systems and perform various monitoring and maintenance responsibilites. Interact and respond to incident, problem and change management systems and tools.

Flexibility work location

IBM was an excellent company to work for. CEO and direction changed dramatically. IBM big company you don't get hands on full job. For instant one group admins server other groups set rules and networking so going elsewhere your experience wont be complete.

Pros

Work location work from home. Flexible time off

Cons

Layoffs managemwnt Ceo only care about shareholders

Contractors get the shafteroo

Low pay and disposable people culture in the particular position i was in a healthcare Learning management administrator, defefintely a company where tech support and contract management is a liability.