IBM logo
IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews in Detroit, MI

Work–Life Balance

Found 15 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,773 reviews

Contractor

Contracted position did not get much insight therefore unable to provide the required number of characters that you all are looking for with this question,

Pros

Work from home

Cons

No job security

Wonderful place to work if you get put on the right account.

Great benefits, work/life balance, and opportunity to work with different departments and vendors. Good place to be introverted without being ostracized for it. Only down side is the lack of room for advancement within the same account. If you don't mind moving around and on-call work you'll enjoy yourself and learn alot.

Management Changes Over The Years

The mist enjoyable part of the job was management and their ability to give their team autonomy to make decisions. Over the years I have seen less and less concern for the more mature employees and more focus on hiring young adults to fill roles that should have been given to progress the seasoned staff. Pay has also declined as incentives, stock and 401K plans have decreased.

Direction by management

The direction changes almost every year and it was difficult to mange the expectations. Management constantly changed to prevent continuity for projects.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Uncertainty

Enjoyed the position

I worked form home at IBM and enjoyed it a lot. It allowed me to be productive and be able to care as a single Parent for my son who has autism. I started out in the Center in Debuque, Iowa, and was double promoted to the team lead position. I worked under excellent managers the whole time , the salary was not good however, but it was a job. I was able to grow and take on not only Team lead for UNIX, but for Windows too and Security Focal.

Pros

open diversity, excellent communication, working form home

Cons

Salary

no thanks

I'd never suggest a friend work here or consider working here. They treat their people poorly and they treat their customers even worse. It was a great company once, but, it certainly isn't anymore.

Productive remote experience

When I worked at IBM, the Marketing team members were remote. The work/life balance was very good, even if you traveled, you could still maintain balance.

Productive workplace with great benefits

IBM has great benefits in terms to Healthcare, Medical leave, and vacation/Holiday pay. However the work/life balance is a struggle if you have a family and if you work remotely, it's hard to feel connected to the company.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Communication and Work/Life Balance

Extremely capable team

We work as a cohesive group with all members sharing experience. Learning new tools and concepts. Also learning new industries and software. Working on production support of amends expands my knowledge of DB2.

Pros

Level of work / learning

Cons

As a SubK pay is low

Great Job

CEO does an excellent job running the firm and maintaining a great corporate culture. Overall, he is doing a good job and I enjoyed working at the firm.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at IBM?

Good company, but shrinking in the US

IBM is a good company to work for in general. Benefits are above average, and there are opportunities for advancement. However, the company is significantly cutting its US-based workforce and restricting benefits, salary increases, etc.

Pros

Good benefits, stable company, quality people.

Cons

Lack of US opportunities

Not much employee support

Released while working critical server hardening. Little care of employees. Reviews based on preparation for release.

great learning experience

My time at IBM was one of the most rewarding times of my life. The people I worked with were the best. They exhibited passion, commitment and energy to make IBM service the best in the industry. The training I received at IBM helped me to succeed at many other business activities.

Pros

training, accessability, opportunity

Cons

entrenched corporate culture

Nice place to work if you know the right people

While I appreciated the ability to work from home, and the 401K match...that was about it for highlights. Frustrating to get some issues resolved because there is no local human resource person, but you call a number and get someone in India to answer your questions. You are given the right to review yourself....but your local manager seems to have no control over if you can get promotions or raises. Its easy to get lost in the system. However I think if you impress the right people you can make a long career at IBM.

Pros

Work at home, 401K match

Cons

little actual career management, 401K match only at end of the year if you are not laid off.

A thorough and rewarding career and life experience at IBM.

An opportunity that kept on giving for numerous years. I worked hard and was a model employee. I earned career advancements and managerial opportunities. IBM will always be the symbol for IT and the computer technology age. We started it all with how we marketed the full package with our product sales and services. I've worked for IBM in sales administration, contracts, finance, headquarters, maintenance-service, accounts receivable, and management. The IBM team was second to none and we had the finest customers that consumed the Fortune 500 listings. Satisfied customers made my day. There were challenges at times when our climate paradigms shifted and we needed to retool. We also encountered challenges from numerous competitors that appeared to be arriving at solutions that challenged our niche in the industry. Overcoming those challenges and delivering to our customer requirements were rewarding.

Pros

Development and career advancement with hard work and commitment.