IBM logo
IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews in Dubuque, IA

Dubuque, IA142 reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Found 142 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,824 reviews

Independence

The job allowed me to do the job that was needed and the management almost always supported the work that was done. They offered many ports of support or would find that assistance or class that was needed

Pros

Supportive management

Cons

Too many layers of management

Run as fast as you can.

Most of the managers are people who screwed up. The mantra at IBM is if you screw up you move up. There are no bonuses or raises unless you are an executive. No appreciation of the "resources". They make you move to another city only to have you terminated.

Pros

Lots of vacation time

Cons

Management could care less about their "resources"

Home for 11 years

IBM was great for the 11 years I was there. Rough go sometimes worried about cuts and layoffs but the freedom to work remote was nice. I'd do it again.

Pros

Time off, remote work, freedom to make kids events and appointments etc

Cons

Job security, no raises, low pay, very little opportunity to advance

Avoid IBM Services at all costs

When I started at IBM I had a decent manager. The team I worked on was friendly and I looked forward (for the most part) to doing my job. It was enjoyable enough to look past the fact that we were constantly under threat of layoffs and forced relocation's with little to no chance at advancement. That was over after about 6 months. Then a new manager came in that was SUPER toxic. He drove away all the people that made the work enjoyable. I spent the next six years working in the worst cesspool of workplace imaginable. I endured near constant bulling and harassment from my few remaining colleagues which was fully enabled by the trash manager and team lead. I watched my Peers get raises and promotions(Bands) right and left while I got nothing but larger and and more stressful workloads. I reported the abuse to HR but they refused to address it. I had to fight tooth and nail to get the manager to approve a transfer off the team, which I finally got only for them to close my center a year later and issue a forced relocation to everyone in the vicinity of the center including me even though I now work remote. Now I'm in a lose-lose scenario, force my family to move to a new city(that we don't want to live in) and lose half our income, or stay, get laid off and lose half my income. IBM Services is Trash just stay away... its not worth it.

Pros

50:50, roll of the dice... are you feeling lucky?

Cons

Toxic environments, High stress, Bad Management, no job security, Low Pay, little to no advancement opportunities

Management is Achilles' Heel

Talented people and teammates, but in my 7 years at IBM, I had one good manager out of a total of four. Either don't know what's going on, can't tell you, or are in charge of laying people off. Promises made are not often kept (band bump to come after moving to a new position, will give backpay to cover the differential = band bump came after 18 months in the position. For me, I moved from a band 4 to a band 6/7 position and got band 6 promotion 18 months after starting that job and due primarily to earning a certification, rather than doing the job at the level and getting underpaid for it. No backpay was ever provided for those 18 months. So - yeah.

Pros

Flexible schedule, great benefits, good teammates

Cons

management often not transparent with information, layoff happy company

Back and Recovery Dispatcher

ProsSalary is good, availability of education to grow your career, work life balance is good.ConsConstant layoffs, eroding baseline, insecurity of retaining your job and potential sale of specific divisions. Target for RA once you hit the 20 year mark.Advice to ManagementSo many talented hardworking people have been let go to raise stock prices. They have all gone to your competitors and that is why IBM is loosing market penetration, trust , and confidence for our clients to buy from IBM and our competitors are taking away our clients.

Company was good to work for 10 years ago and has gone downhill

I started at IBM 10 years ago and it was a good place to work. Now 10 years later and its a rough place to be. Constant resource actions and wondering if your going to be the next one let go. They do not care about there employees at all.

Good Place to work

Good Place to work, my supervisors were top notch. My co-workers were the best. Each of us backstopped each other. A real sense of team work. I'd love to work for them again.

It was great working with IBM

The jobs in IBM are pretty stable. The people were nice to work with. They don't easily letgo people bit they they are very specific about their company policy and regarding security policies and if you happen to not follow them specially the security policies and codes, they will let you go like no other.

Pros

Stable jobs, big company, lots of learning and great people

Cons

Very limited remote option

Great Company

I love working for IBM. They have amazing benefits and really work with you to build your career and learn new skills. Great company and great management.

Computer environment

Location relevant pay and above average benefits. Team environment aids to improve performance. Interactive employee events are common. Positive community outreach programs.

technical support specialist

the job would be good if management didnt require 2x / day meetings. these meetings can be summarized in a single email message without breaking everyone's concentration. in addition to this, management is the red tape in the organization meaning there are far too many managers wasting resources instead of working.

Not willing to Compensate for Loyalty and Skills Building

I have been with this company for 9+ years. I've had one raise in that time frame, even tho I have elevated my job roles and skills. I wasn't even given the last "cost of living" raise the last year, because I had just rec'd my ONLY raise from the company. I was brought in at the wage minimum, and was forced to get a 2nd job on the weekends, just to make ends meet. They do not compensate for loyalty and Skills building.

Pros

Flexible Dress Code, good vacation coming in

Cons

No Raises, bad pay

No decent compensation for 9+ yrs of

After 9+ years of dedicated service and positive service reviews, I received 1raise. Disappointed, and frustrated, it forced me to get a second job. I had positive reviews every year. I have had favorable reports from my clients every quarter. I was passed over for the latest cost of living increase even tho I was stated well under the average in my area.

Pros

Vacation days upon starting were great.

Cons

No decent compensation for 9 yrs.

Great culture, good company

IBM is a great company to work for. It is an old IT company and will give you a great set of skills to work for any IT company out there. Main drawback is the bureaucratic nature of the company.

A definite learning experience

IBM was a great place to work and allowed me the opportunity to communicate with great people from different countries. Management was very cooperative when personal issues arose and allowed employees special working conditions. Being a team player was instilled while they encouraged us to grow on our own.

Productive place to work that offers skill advancement

IBM has invested heavily in their employee skills and education. You are required to take 40 or more hours of education every year. They offer online learning courses. Thinking of better ways to solve problems is highly prized at IBM.

Fun workplace

Was challenging. Long hours and team support. The site was created in a old department store. The first floor fortunes was very nice sad the building owner removed them. The option to work from home was very good during bad weather.

Has treated me well over the years

I have been there for 10 years, and overall, I have been treated well. I have had many opportunities come my way and have been given choices to make about my future.

Sometimes I'd like to be more

People should mean more and having lay offs should not be so regular that it is expected. It was a great opportunity to have the IBM name on my resume and would go back to try again.

Great co-workers

Great place to work and management listened when we had concerns. 3 and 4 day weekends were a great benefit to the work schedule we had with the particular clients

Pros

co-workers, management

Cons

commute distance
  • IBM