IBM logo
IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews in Poughkeepsie, NY

Work–Life Balance

Found 210 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,773 reviews

Great time off when needed. Managers respect family time in need when possible.

Sick time and family emergency time off is a great benefit. The company provides drinks and snakes which are a big savings. You get three weeks of vacation from day one.

Pros

Free snacks.

Cons

Health plans.

Great worker

Love having good work and people who enjoy communicating at there bet level to get the job done. Great communication is the key to everything at that I say humbly

Incredible but desirable learning curve

Learning never ends so long as you stay motivated. Everyday you're presented with new and exciting challenges. While work is largely team oriented an elevated level of individual troubleshooting capabilities is necessary to be successful.

Awesome work experience

Free snacks, friendly people and awesome supervisor. busy sometimes and chill sometimes. big space. they priorities your safety above all. flexible shift.

Pros

Free snacks

Cons

contractual

No job security. Work Overload with many layoffs

This company has no job security. Their mgmt model is to layoff employees to pad executive bonus pay and then transfer the workload to remaining employees. This contributes to burnout with no consideration for work-life balance.

Pros

Remote work

Cons

No Bonuses for regular employees. All bonuses go to upper management

Define your own path

IBM has a multitude of options for defining your own career. Airways offering the option of moving to be roles/challenges. They provide a multitude of ways to learn and educate yourself in a variety of areas. The downsides are more limited to being a massive company. There's always multiple levels of corporate red tape to get things changed. The physical sites are on the older side lacking many modern amenities of newer tech companies

Pros

Career mobility, learning opportunities

Cons

Facilities are stuck in the 80s

Hired for Test Tech, thrown into Assembly

I was hired to be a test tech, stress testing their Z Mainframes. It was a lie, I was thrown into Assembly pulling ethernet and ram cards out of their books. I was terminated for "refusing to work", which is a total lie, they don't enough work to go around and employees are talking about furloughs.

Pros

On site cafeteria cooks healthy food

Cons

lied about the job, fired when they didn't have any work

Remote Intern Loving Her Job

I'm a Latina of color working in hardware development who was pleasantly surprised to find my project leads being Latinos and women. We work with people all over the world, and so many people want to offer mentorship whether it be to their professional peers or interns. There are so many WebEx events like chair yoga, identity-based events, professional/skill development meetings, you name it. It's absolutely great. The only complaint I have is administrative, being that the interns are experiencing delays in receiving our physical checks/having direct deposit implemented, but that doesn't speak on IBM's supply chain engineering awesome environment. I also get paid pretty well for an intern :-)

Pros

DoorDash DashPass + $90 in giftcards, workplace culture, representation of women and BIPOC, so many opportunities to learn and expand your network

Cons

payroll

Good enough

The company itself is good enough as it is in the z/TPF department area. The teams are very versatile and there is a lot of flexibility. I would recommend developers out of college apply for the z/TPF area as they are currently innovating to newer technologies (Docker, Rest, MongoDB, etc).

Good

Company treats employees well. And there are many opportunities of getting further within the company. Management trains new employees efficiently and well paced.

need education background

very interactive with global team. Flexible work hours, Utilization of leadership and teamwork skills. Very supportive team members. Lots of opportunities for advancement.

Enjoyed the work from home

Enjoyed working from home - have worked for IBM as a regular employee for 36 years then as a contractor for the last 3 years - know the process and their applications and keeping updated on all new applications

IBM has lost it's soul.

IBM used to be a company with a clear vision and purpose. Respect for the individual, quality and the pursuit of excellence at the heart of our core values, they were once the essence of our DNA. No longer! In today's IBM it's unclear what the core values of the company are. With today's "strategic imperatives" there is no clear communication from our executives to the workforce. In the US IBM is NOT a growth industry, we continue shrinking as more and more of the jobs are being outsourced overseas. Commitment towards customer satisfaction, quality and field service has fallen by the wayside. Management decisions are not being made with a focus on product quality, rather to appease continually escalating demands to reduce cost. In short, IBM has lost its soul.

you never know when your job will end and leave their customers high and dry for for a few nickles more for the top brass stock options.

Good work if you can stand the turnover and the insecurity of the new culture of this company. New jobs are not permanent. Layoffs are quickly replaced with new hires at a much cheaper employment rate with less experience to handle critical customer incidents. Planning and execution of projects tend to be well off track of customer expectations and often run late and well behind schedules service dates.

Good company to work

Worked for IBM just shy of 20 years as a regular employee. Worked normal business hours but also on weekend on off shift change windows in the middle of the night and 24x7 on call support. When I started with IBM my department had a lot of members that supported their own external accounts. Over the years we automated manual tasks and people retired or moved on to different roles. Department head count shrunk over the years causing remaining members to pick up the workload. Older members who could retired did. The department then received new members from Brazil, India, and China. Was required to train the new member. After many months of training and documenting every thing for my duties I was told I was no longer needed.

Falling apart.

It is a struggle to do the most basic of tasks anymore since everything is cobbled together and there is no support. You do not get the needed hardware or time to complete any task, and i mean, complete it.

Proactive and exciting place to work, very professional.

I have enjoyed the various professional opportunities I have been given throughout my career. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people, the collaboration and professionalism is what makes each day work. Employees strive for a better way, faster, easier, more precise way of designing and thinking about the task at hand, that is what sets an IBMer aside from everyone else. Great place to work.

great employer.

They work with you until you are successful continuesly. enjoyed the culture of ibm. Technology is at its best. I recommend IBM employer to anyone who wants to develope there talent in technology.

Okay Experiance

I learned alot while there, but generally had a poor relations with co workers. They helped only when is was convent for them. management wasn't very fair. very bias to different people. It felt like I was treated as a child.

I refuse to answer

I would rather keep my experience to myself. I had a good when first starting there,but in the end the company has gone downhill. They wanted you to learn all areas but weren't willing to pay for each area you were certified in.

Can be frustrating environment

The company seems to chase fads and downsizing, while leaving their employees to pick up the pieces and guess what skills might be required in the future.