IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews in Remote

i am working at IBB korea as a consultant. IBM is nice place to work, but I'm not satisfied with salary and other compensation. I think WLB is not tha bed than industry average
Growth opportunities in areas of demand. Opportunity for education and continuous growth. Excellent culture for management, peer support and continuous improvement to meet goals.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
no work life balance depending on the area
Incredible management and support staff. Gives free range for tackling issues (within certain guidelines). The reference and knowledge base available is amazing!
Pros
Lots of tech
Cons
This is a pretty good company to work for. They will, however, lay you off (Resource Actioned) even if you're a long time employee. Their severance packages are generally okay.
Pros
Benefits are ++
Cons
Cash pay --
Good for the Fortune 50 experience, not worth staying at more than a couple years if you want to grow, advance, and be fairly compensated for your work.
I had quite a number of chances to excel during my twenty years with IBM. As with all large companies, there are times where you just have to shake your head then press on because you are not set up for success. There are other times when you get to work across all functional lines of the company and mobilize the total capability of the company to produce a unique solution for your clients -- and that's an awesome experience!!
Pros
Being treated like a person
Cons
Direction that doesn't make sense as well as quotas that are impossible to attain
Good place to work as long as the division or product line you support remains in their strategic plan. They are in transition right now and that can lead to uncertainty.
work / life balance very dependent on your job role, you could be on call 24 x 7 due to under staffing to cut costs on your accounts. Many jobs being shipped off shore so always looking for your job to be cut.
Pros
fair pay and good benefits
Cons
lost the respect for the employee culture 20 years ago, all about costs.
Typical day: First you make sure you are still employed. Then you typically have an early morning stand up meeting. Then you check for any problems. Then you check for any service requests. Then you spend the rest of the day in useless meetings. Then you make sure you still have a job before you sign off for the day.Everybody is always worried when next RA (layoffs) will occur and when their time is up. Moral is terrible. Customers are canceling contracts. RAs are no longer based on performance or utilization. Just reduce head count. I got out when I could before I was RA'd.
Pros
Remote work. First line managers were easy to get along with. Exposure to latest technology.
Cons
No raises, tiny bonus', promotions virtually non existent. IBM doesn't match 401K in first year of employment, then they only match at year end if you are still employed.
Despite being an eternal optimist, IBM has managed to make me believe that they will repeatedly choose to focus on following others (10 years behind) or state grand visions that is not well executed (and often not properly interpreted) through all levels of management. Despite a desire to innovate at the top, ranks below opt for spinning metrics to tell other stories to be self-serving. Missions change every 6 months given no goal or organizational structure time to “bake in.” There is also no actual customer focus. Customers who pay a lot for technical leadership often find a delay in service due to mass RAs of the wrong resources.
Pros
Telecommute
Cons
Lack of consistency in execution of vision
I was fortunate to work for great mid level managers however the direction of our segment would change often and was not adequately communicated downstream.
Pros
There are some good people and great talent
Cons
expected to produce results as if you can make the changes needed to accomplish this
IBM is very weird company to work for. I’ve worked for numerous Fortune 100 companies in Sales and IBM has the worst sales organization. Its not the people or talent but the way it’s organized and our lack of execution. It’s challenging to do business w IBM. There are numerous business units, dozens of sales team, and none of them are integrated. Customers have different IBMers pingin them. The channel is a disaster because they push everything to disti which has no fiduciary responsibility to IBM. Quoting things is very difficult. IBM has solid tech that is just challenging to purchase. IBM is a tech company that talks about digital transformation but internally this place is a mess. IBM is still the titanic w a small rudder.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Massively disorganized
This is review on their Services team doing consulting work.Depends vastly on the project you are on.I wish there is more uniformity between projects.If you happen to be in a good long term project life is good, otherwise life is undesirable, so there is a luck of draw to some extent.
IBM is known for its many, surprising job layoffs. Management doesn't seem to take an active role in your employment. As long as the work is getting done, management doesn't seem to care about your employment, or is extremely fake. Upper management are experts at very verbose company idealologies, and the HR department seems to try real hard to be righteous, although employees are merely Serial Numbers. I put in a continual 15 years of service, but was not recognized for those years essentially losing that tenure. The company's history and culture seem too big for its own good.
Pros
Good benefits, competative salary, good sick time policy
Cons
Employees are just serial numbers, verbose company culture, random layoffs
Not a pleasant place to work. Constant downsizing. Was more focus on not growing their US team. I wouldn't recommend IBM to any new college kid that I mentor
Multiple opportunities for career advancement or changes. You can receive training in different areas and then apply for different roles. With management assistance you can transition into a new career.
Pros
Remote work
Cons
Frequent Resource Actions
Good place to work nice team big pool of skilled peopleManagement is clear on vision. Many account with variety of work and growth opportunities. Follows process and policy
It depends on your team but in my experience there has been the constant threat of layoffs and that is used to motivate employees to work more and not complain or you could be next.
Pros
Work from home through COVID
Benefits and pay were great and overall, the culture wasn't bad. Some bad managers just spoiled it for me. Work-Life balance was advertised, however not followed completely through. overall, I liked to work for them.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
overtime, managers who didn't know me
This is an alright place to work if you're extremely proactive with networking and your job/career. You need to be okay with changing roles and departments freqeuntly. There are major shifts in company org structure every quarter, which reminds me of shifting chairs on the Titanic. You make your own job security here with the connections you make. I don't recommend for people looking for any measure of consistency or reliability in their employment status.
Pros
Tons of learning opportunities available, set your own hours more or less, and lots of independence.
Cons
No job security, Layoffs every quarter, Your survival at IBM is contingent on making friends with the right people.
IBM used to be a great company, with a strong sense of pride in the quality of products and services they provided. Now, IBM behaves like a desperate start-up, begging for crumbs and willing to lower itself to attempt to compete with the low-price/low-quality competitors.. and failing miserably.If you work at IBM, especially in the services division, you'll be constantly under the threat of layoff, with your job either being eliminated all together or shipped overseas. If you are unlucky enough to survive the latest round of job eliminations, you'll be faced with trying to meet contract obligations with limited resources that are either taking on roles they've never done before with no training, or you'll be expected to step up and take on additional roles for the same compensation. There may be divisions within IBM that aren't cesspools, but the Services division isn't one of them. If you have no other choice, take the job, but plan to keep looking for better opportunities. Trust me, your best day at IBM will be 1000 times worse than your worst day anywhere else!
Pros
It's better than losing your house to foreclosure
Cons
Constant layoffs, expensive healthcare benefits, no tuition benefits, limited advancement opportunities