IBM logo
IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews in Research Triangle Park, NC

Research Triangle Park, NC468 reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Found 468 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,824 reviews

Interesting and team oriented work

IBM provided me with a long and productive career. I was able to work with leading edge technology, expand my role, and deal directly with large customers. I enjoyed my time there.

Pros

Decent pay and benefits

Cons

Layoffs and high demands on time.

Educational and Rewarding Work Experience

I enjoyed my experience at IBM. Management was helpful and supportive. Pay was fair. Benefits was were great. Coworkers were friendly and productive.

Pros

Great people and training

Get what you need

At IBM, I recommend to learn as much as you can, and then go elsewhere, as the company has no loyalty to any employee, the culture is very very non respectful of people and only promote and pay white employees a fair and equitable salary. Minorities are pay dramatically less, scrutinized and watched, and passed over for promotions time and time again. Moreover, IBM has a massive amount of contractors to which they work for years and years, and are not hired permanently.

Pros

Intranet (Blue pages)

Cons

Discriminatory, lack of promotions, low pay for minorities, and a white rules culture

The work culture has deteriorated

At IBM, it matters who you know, rather than what you know. They promote a "Yes Boss" culture. Departments work on competing products. The information is not clearly communicated. The middle management does not care for the team.

Pros

Name

Cons

Culture, lack of promotion, low compensation, negligible bonus.

Company has no vision so everyone is running around with hair on fire

They have lost their vision of what they want to be. They were a world class hardware maker, and then they decided that hardware was not a money maker, so they jettisoned it for their storage group - that was a major disaster so tey jettisoned it and then they decided to be a software developer. Well, the problem is that the world was already developing software incuding the mom and pop joints who were doing it better than IBM's lethargic and sorry methodology.The best part - is that they decided that they needed to send their development overseas to enemies of the US - and they blamed US programmers who had to clean the trash up on the failire.

Pros

You get paid well to do nothing

Cons

Self Imposed deadlines to prove it can't be done in the US, and then 90% of the deadline work never is productive - it is just busywork for pay.

Opportunity Filled Workplace

It's fun to work at IBM. You are constantly learning with your required IBM continued education. The hardest part of any job is pleasing everyone. There are countless benefits provided to IBMers whether current past, or retired.

Pros

Employee Acknowledgements and morale boosters

Cons

Long Hours and work life balance

Avoid

Stay away from this company. Absolute terrible and expensive benefits; I say I don't have insurance for less expense when medical need is at hand. I suggest you review benefits before taking a job. If you need a job to learn its fine and a jumping point. Treat the company like your a contractor. The IBM goal is to extract IP from young employees and discard them. It is a business legal engineering companystriving for services from their employees which are disposable. Culture: You never know when IBM has a Resource Action (coverup word RA=> firing people) and have to look for a job internally which they close to make sure people have to exit (very deceptive). Its hanging over your head every day no matter how your department is achieving its goals and making revenue; usual time for clean house is Thanksgiving (just before xmas insensitive) but they have added April too in targeted areas. I have witnessed this for years. IBM actually did not pay me for a month in all the confusion to fire people no apologies and in no hurry to resolve either. That tells you something right there. Was a good company in the 20th century. Monotonically decreasing in revenue for the past 10 years from 100B to now 75B. Its continues death march as the pervious CEO sold assets, reduced employees to make the consistent profit margin on less revenue for years. IBMs way is "Live to work hard." I was all truistic and believed in IBMs 20th century Montra which no longer exists.

Pros

Learning for a year is fine out of school and you will not be fired from RA nor know about them, this is not a stable company, entry level salary competitive.

Cons

No job security, Benefits god aweful, extracting IP from employees as a perception to move up, Lots of nonsense personal dev programs as noise to keep employees in the dark as worker bees, IBM has its own rules for 401k which are outright indentured servitude a legal IRS loophole, political social curruption to next step not performance based.

Not a good Career Choice

Hired as a contractor/temp.Layed off within weeks of going Full Time.Manager took the day off whenever someone was fired or layed off.When manager let people go, it was not based on performance.Manager strongly played favorites.Only people in managers personal clique were promoted.Surrounded by backstabbing glory hounds.Other managers repeatedly promised it would get better.It never did.

Pros

Cons

Look elsewhere for a stable career choice. This isn't it.

More focused on bottom line than on people

IBM used to be a great company, but it's sunk considerably. Profit is always important, by laying off significant number of people during a pandemic, with only 1/3 the separation pay they used to give over 8 years ago, is just heartless. Full of empty gestures to make it look like they care, like surveys "how are you, what do you need," but don't follow through on what you need

Pros

Ability to work from home during pandemic

Cons

Aggressive expectations during pandemic, little support/accomodations for disabilities, more concerned with financial health than employee health

Seagull school of management

Try to be agile, but senior management makes daily demands routinely, which requires us to set aside the work we are reviewed on. It is a slowly dying company, they only innovate theough acquisition. Even with all their patents, they do not know how to listen to customers and create better products/offerings. People are its strength, except for leadership.

Work from home is possible

Enjoyed all the different jobs I had at IBM as a Support Engineer, Software Developer and as a Escalation manager. Worked with some very smart, talented people.

Recruiter Role

I enjoyed my time at IBM. IBM was a very diverse place with great people working alongside me. My manager was always available to assist me (if I needed anything). I eventually was in the role where I assisted the newer recruiters and recruiters abroad.

Productuive and fun workplace

Great place to learn, flexibility and great company to be in IBM. Job culture is good. Learned a lot about technology, to be a team player etc. I liked my work overall

Pros

Great learning curve, flexibility and fun

Cons

Great place work for w/benefits, professionalism and advancement...

Hired as a 'temp-to-perm', yet never hired permanently, due to layoff as usual last hired first laid-off. Therefore, I as many of the temporary employees were laid off...

Excellent

Enjoyed the work life balance Appreciate the flexible timing Enterprise level technologies Understanding supervisor Ability to collaborate freely Work

Interesting work

Able to experience many technologies. Fast passed delivery schedules, agile methodology is maturing. Flexible open workspaces. Great teams collectively innovate.

Work life balance and flexibility

Great place to work. Lot of flexibility and work life balance. You are the manager of your career. Ultra focus on journey to cloud for customers and very high focus on customer satisfaction.

Risk versus Reward - Unhappiness versus Salary

One thing I learned from IBM is that you cant put a price on happiness. The managers micromanage people, and are not real leaders. So many people were unhappy working there, but they stay because they are fairly compensated. It was miserable working for IBM. Work conditions are poor and the company really does not care about the people. I was not given any advance notice when my contract was over. In the middle of the day, my systems shut down and that is how I was told that the contract ended after 18 months of service. Yea, this is not a place I would recommend anyone working.

Used to be s great company, not so much these days. Still opportunities.

Overall it has been good at IBM, over the last 8 years, the company has suffered in terms of leadership, and it has fallen behind the market leaders. Hopefully new management can turn it around.

Good company to work with and has a lot support tools

IBM has a process that helps new employees to grow and learn new tools and technologies. Anyone willing to put time and effort to learn will benefits support programs available for IBMers.

Work life balance is good. Be wary of open-office workspaces.

Seem intent on moving to open offices as fast as they can, but are not making sure those new workspaces are effective places to do work. Have always had good first-line managers and rarely had to work outside of normal business hours.
  • IBM