IBM logo
IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews in San Jose, CA

Work–Life Balance

Found 267 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,773 reviews

Good wlb

Company has very good work life balance. Great campus. People are super friendly. Tech stack is outdated. Experience varies depending on the department.

Pros

gold culture, low stress. People are very nice and respectful

Cons

low compensation, doesn’t care about employee growth.

Top heavy company, not dynamic enough

Need to support legacy technology for customers, always held back to support mainframe customers. Unstable environment with constant layoffs. Not the leading technology

Pros

Respectable name

Cons

Unstable environment with constant layoffs

Great work life balance

Great work life balance. Amazing direct manager that do listen to the employees. While there is a lot to improve but IBM is changing to the right direction.

Pros

Flexible office and work from home mix. Best work life balance

Cons

Compensation is not very competitive compared to other big tech company

Constant Uncertainty at work

Constant Uncertainty at work. Pay is very low. No bonus structure. Opportunities to take training through IBM learning portal or outside websites.

Beware: Their annual layoff cycle is NOT based on low performance.

As a manager, I know IBM's layoff cycles are not based on low performance, so doing a good job does not keep you from being cut and having to start all over again. Instead, there are unspoken target groups each year (i.e. age, location, etc). And at IBM, it is common practice to pay significantly below the market average. I typically saw 80-95% of my engineers well below the market pay averages.

Cons

Arrogant executives protect themselves with yes men/women

Tons of layoffs- stay away

I worked at IBM for over a decade and every year we were fearing about the layoff. They don't value good employees and only care about politics. For over a decade salary never changed, not considered for promotion. Tons of layoffs every year and immediately replacing them with fresh graduates/interns.

Pros

Work schedule/location flexibility

Cons

Everything else

Great company to work

Great company to work with good company culture, flexible work environment and hours. Many opportunities to explore with in the company to get aquatinted with the latest cutting edge technologies.

Capricious leadership makes for chaotic environment

Do you enjoy completely changing your IT road map each time a VP picks up a copy of Wired and learns a new buzzword? Does the prospect of sweating through annual layoffs give you a rush of adrenaline? Tired of annual bonuses and raises that some companies callously force on their employees? If you've answered yes to any of these questions, IBM may just be the place for you! Kidding aside, some of the benefits are good. Flexible schedules and working from home are great. Unfortunately these cannot balance out the chaos into which the company has slid.

I enjoyed learning about the applications enterprise companies like IBM use.

IBM gave me the opportunity to learn about and encourage me to continue to build up my knowledge in computer technology. They allowed my to gain experience to give me a better opportunity to land a good job

Truly global company on a transformative journey

IBM is truly a global company and you get to work with people across many countries. Since there are large number of independent teams and products within IBM, it would be hard to generalize the workplace culture. From my experience, IBM requires you to get things done right and on time. There are huge opportunities to learn and upgrade your skills. Work life balance is decent. Management may keep changing priorities or focus areas since IBM is still undergoing transformation, so one needs to be adaptable to an ever-changing workplace to stay relevant.

It's alright if you want to coast

pointless outdated work and lots of office politics lots of uncertainty I will never recommend anyone to work at IBM It's not what it used to be.

Somewhat fun workplace with team but responsibilities were limited

Somewhat fun workplace with team but responsibilities were limited. Didn't feel like much room to grow in my career. Hours were strict and management was a little more intense than needed.

Heavy corporate culture, but good underlying people

IBM has such a strong corporate culture that they make you fly out to either North Carolina or Texas to be indoctrinated as an "IBMer." My building was mostly comprised of folks from companies that had been bought by IBM, and most of the "social budget" went to perks that IBM doesn't normally supply, such as coffee and tea. I was in Silicon Valley, where the corporate culture is much more relaxed and flexible than on the east coast, where everyone is expected to work from 8am-5pm (and the lights go off after 5:30pm!).

Pros

If you're involved in a nonprofit, IBM is really good about donating to it.

Cons

The main corporate culture being sent down by the east coast.

Team oriented; exceptional management; fast paced, results oriented

IBM is a great place to work. I worked as a Worldwide Supply Chain Planner which was a very busy, results-driven job. Daily interface with many in the department, as well as offshore plants in Japan, Hungary & Singapore. Must be comfortable making many Excel charts, management presentations and be on top of the daily requests and inventory of your high-volume product line. You get a real feel for the global process.

Great place. Nice game room and gym.

A typical day is managing the Nashville hub remotely. I have learned more about SAP while be there. The work place culture is diverse. There is really nothing hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility to work remotely if needed.

IBM is a nice place to work

A big company with its own culture and methodology, but also a bit heavy and long hierarchy to turn around. A good experience of multi-Geo team work and timing.

Constant sense of doom.

IBM bought the Data Backup cloud environment from Verizon where I already had a position as Tier 2 Data Backup Support Engineer. IBM assured we former Verizon employees we would be assimilated into IBM right up to the day everyone in my team was laid off.

Fun and chill

I had a fun and friendly work environment, would often go to meetings and work in groups. Food there was good and endless ping pong. Meet lots of new and cool people.

If you fit the IBM mold, there is a lot of opportunity for growth

Fast paced challenging environment with frequent change. Opportunity for movement within and across the company, especially if you are willing to relocate to any of the major IBM hubs.

Pros

Advancement opportunities for the ambitious.

Cons

Rate and ranking culture that promote competitiveness rather than collaboration.

Too many layers and very little communication and direction from Executive chain

- Low pay, terrible bonus and stock incentive benefits. - No sense of direction and Co. seems to be stuck in old culture and technology. No innovation.

Back in the 60's mentality

old technology. approval driven. don't feel like I'm making a difference. Monitored alot on time. too many on-line classes that don't pertain to job.