IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Pay & Benefits reviews: Application Specialist

Clear
3.9Work–Life Balance
3.5Pay & Benefits

Found 12 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,912 reviews

Easy going workplace with low pay, low job security

IBM was a great place to start my career. I learned more there than all of my years in school however the pay was sub-par to most starting developers and the benefits were delayed for two years. I was able to work from home twice a month which was nice and also felt that the workplace was very friendly. Big issues come about if you do not find a project as you will be fired in a certain amount of time. Also there was a big issue when knowing that you bill a client 5 times as much as IBM pays you.

Pros

Work from home days, relaxed workplace, events for employees

Cons

job security is low, low pay, hard to move up

Very unstable place to work

IBM is known for its many, surprising job layoffs. Management doesn't seem to take an active role in your employment. As long as the work is getting done, management doesn't seem to care about your employment, or is extremely fake. Upper management are experts at very verbose company idealologies, and the HR department seems to try real hard to be righteous, although employees are merely Serial Numbers. I put in a continual 15 years of service, but was not recognized for those years essentially losing that tenure. The company's history and culture seem too big for its own good.

Pros

Good benefits, competative salary, good sick time policy

Cons

Employees are just serial numbers, verbose company culture, random layoffs

Depends on what group you're in

IBM is a good place to start a career. You'll probably be forced into a role that isn't your first choice, however. There are also annual layoffs and the culture is a bit behind the times.

Great for experience but low compensation

IBM Client innovation center is a great place for entry level to get experience on different projects. But the only downside is that the compensation is below industry standard.

Pros

Work from home part of the week

Cons

Low compensation, Sometimes the projects are too simple for your experience

Great place for those who need little direction

It's not the IBM of old. Employees are self-directed and self-trained. Employees are told to certify before they gain any experience, which is backwards. It may be a good fit for some.

Pros

Great benefits! Unlimited learning potential

Cons

Pay, self-trained

Great work/life balance in a very slow pace environment

Great work/life balance and professional environment. Good company name to have in your resume. Some oportunities to get involved in new projects with new technologies. On the other side, most projects move slow waiting on "acting busy" individuals with few or low interest. Very complicated to get a salary increase. You more or less are stuck with the salary you negotiated when you started, unless you change your position or get promoted. Most days you feel you could be doing much more things.

Pros

Professional collegues, convenient office location, serious company.

Cons

Slow projects and too much back and forth, excessive separation of duties, most projects move slow pushed only by meetings.

Rewarding but Demanding

Great team of people to work with from all over the country. Very high paced job and learned quickly to become an excellent multi-tasker . Hardest part of job was long hours and weekend work.

Pros

Work from Home

Cons

Long Hours and weekend work

Constantly shifting company with pros and a lot of cons

My particular work location at IBM is a "new" style of center. By "new", I mean, we don't get paid anywhere near as much as standard consultants within our same company, but are required to complete a comparable amount of work with the same quality. Co-workers are great, we learn a lot from each other. Management is fairly out of touch, since they are mostly concerned with numbers(utilization/billing rates). Company looks great on your resume and has a long history. People tend not to stay for long because they can get better compensation elsewhere for the same amount of work.

Pros

Co-workers, some interesting clients and locations

Cons

out of touch management, non-competitive pay, work/life balance

lots of unfilled promises

Really no way to advance here, and the pay is pitiful. Love the coworkers, but thats about it. You're going to work at least 44 hrs a week, no way around it. Otherwise your utilization will be too low. Just not what anyone was expecting

Pros

coworkers are nice

Cons

working too many hours, not enough pay, no way to advance

No comment

I enjoyed the people. I did not enjoy the type of work I did. I had to travel 100 per cent even though I was hired for 30 per cent. Traveling is tough, especially if you value family time.

Jobs at IBM