IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews for Field Service Technician

My direct managers and daily co-workers were all pretty fantastic. Senior Management was disconnected and only communicated to make unrealistic demands, heaped on the last list. Workload was extremely underestimated, and working models were changed to try to fit poorly integrated systems. This ultimately cause failures in SLA's and loss of contracts with dissatisfied accounts. Then, layoffs began and less people were left with more work. You get the picture. Senior Management didn't care about anything that wasn't on their spreadsheet and going toward their bonus.
Pros
Great pay, great benefits.
Cons
Lack of helpful or constructive senior leadership
Great company to work for. The company has Great management style . Great benefits. Great learning opportunities. Great career advancement opportunities ..
Constant riding from upper management in very unprofessional emails. Literal profanity thrown around by upper management when unrealistic and impossible goals were not reached. Goals were so unrealistic that people quit instead of working 24/7. Middle management worked 24/7 or were terminated.
Great place to work gain experience and show what potential you have for a career in the Information Technology field. Great benefits, training, flexible schedule.
IBM used to be a great company to work for. They refuse to accept that the industry does not allow for 90% to 100% profit margins anymore. They used to have highly skilled, dedicated employees but their belief that they can produce a superior product and service with people who have little experience has not worked well. If you want a company with little job security then IBM is you place to be.
Pros
A lot of virtual training. Average benefits.
Cons
No job security. You can be a highly rated, high performing employer and still get laid off.
A typical day consisted of replacing point of sales terminal parts and driving. I learned a lot about the back end logistics. Management needs to learn how to grow with them time. There really wasn't any real work place culture. The hardest part of the job was coming in behind someone else who was not that great at keeping parts organized. Freedom to work how it works for me.
Pros
Company Van, Company Phone, Company Laptop, Company CC
Cons
Too unorganized for the volume of work that try to complete
great benefits, good pay, with a good life / work balance...the company invested time on learning and advancing your skills in a multitude of areas...company vehicle, phone, laptop, ipad to complete jobs in a timely and efficient manner...
Pros
good pay, good hrs, great mgr...
Cons
sometimes the drive got old...
The company seems to be top-heavy with the number of managers. Doing actual field work, we were severely understaffed to provide timely service to our customers. They also have a very old and inefficient system to dispatch tickets to techs. Benefits are pretty standard and decent.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, understaffed, work-life balance, constant travel
Kept trying to squeeze more and more work out of everyone when we were already short handed. Constantly changing their minds on how things should be done.
Fellow employees and management worked well together to support one another when needed. Positive work environment documented support materials on equipment we supported.
Pros
Positive work environment.
Cons
Some late nights.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at IBM?
Well known Brand. decent pay and Benefits. Superb culture. Bad poor managment in some areas . Unfortunately does not live to its potencial used to be a fantastic place.
On a regular day, I would be in the office working on the computer doing various tasks on Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Remedy, and other programs. I When I received a message, via my company phone, I would check the message. The message would be a service call. I would call the requesting customer, and verify the details of the service call. I would then contact the parts warehouse and see if the part was in stock. If it was in stock, I would go pick it up, and go to the customers place and perform the repairs. Sometimes I would get called out in the middle of the night to go to a customers business. I learned about routers and networking, server installation and cabling, and troubleshooting on servers
Pros
Good benefits, Excellent work environment, and working with local businesses and getting to know other people in the area.
Cons
Getting called out in the middle of the night, Working on weekends sometimes.
Repair Printers, PC Workstations, Cash Registers, Alarm Systems, CCTV Systems Install or Remove Electronic Components and Projects Assigned by the Company.
Cons
Management doesn't care about employees, all they want is as much as you are willing to give and pay as little as possible.
Pros
good benefits
This was a one day contract in which we converted the Double Tree hotel and Hilton Garden hotel operating systems from Windows XP to Windows 7
Cons
compensation
Ran a field service van and provided customer support for retail customers. I learned a great deal about customer service delivery and the importance of quality customer service along with quality computer products. I loved working with most all co-workers. The hardest part of the job was rotating holidays. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and the sence that we all were helping oneanother get the job done and management was very proactive in providing the tools and training to get the job done right.
Pros
Fair compensation, work and life quality balance mentality and great benefits
Cons
micro-management, holiday on-call, I left....WHY?