IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews for Project Manager

Provides a collaborative and competitive environment to work.a lot of career path chalice was available and provide opportunities to enhance knowledge and skills.
Great staff at the technical levels. IBM's reputation seems to earn it some solid Government contracts. However... I should have taken the obvious hint the universe was trying to send, when the interviewer for the first interview arrived 30 minutes after the appointment time, and didn't seem to know what was going on. Accepted a senior management role, but within a month or two it became obvious the role was surplus to requirements. Let go after five months with little support or direction, and wondering why I was hired. IBM Ballarat has a close relationship with Federation University, so be prepared to work with students in "Earn and Learn" programs - this is both a pro and a con. Workplace is distant from the Ballarat CBD, with not many facilities close by.
Pros
Great technical people. Good training if you can find it.
Cons
Micromanagement, sprawling hierarchy, no onsite HR.
The environment was one of pandering to the client rather than looking at what the client really needed and guiding them to a better outcome. Sometimes delivery is not the best outcome for the client. Limited Executive support but lots of blame and overzealous coaching rather than examining the real issues.
Very nice place to work at. Nice management. Lots of growth opportunities. The company encourages to develop new skills and offer lots of paid certifications.
A great team spirit supported by experienced and well led managers great conditions with flexible work locations and working hours. Lots of opportunities to maintain certifications through annual training being provided to all staff
Pros
Great support and team spirit
Cons
Staff not always recognised and appreciated
Despite the hype and talk, they treat staff like kleenex, use & throw. Your job security is not linked to your performance, but to overall firm productivity. If the firm has a good year, then no "RAs" (resource actions). If profits go down, then the edict is given, reduce headcount across the board. I would not recommend them to anyone.
Joined IBM as a senior PM. Started with a lot of promise and enthusiasm, but found within a few weeks that there was no clear planning around the role, and poor integration into the existing management structure. Existing management were protective of their own reputations, and reluctant to trust or accept my input. Loss of confidence and lack of trust became unworkable, and right on the verge of resigning in disgust, I was let go, 5 months in. Still wondering why they ever hired me! Best advice I can give, if you really want to work here, is to interview your hiring managers very carefully, to ensure you are really needed, and a good fit. The culture was unlike anything else I'd experienced in 33+ years of successful and productive work.
Pros
Working for a global brand
Cons
Old-school micromanagement and distrustful culture
Started off nicely then management kept changing and additional lanes of management were added who had no business knowledge of the client. Office dynamics shifted quickly from a great place to work to a place you did not want to walk into the office.
Workplace culture is not good enough. Management is not good enough and not encouraging. Not enough salary. Not enough reward for employee working hard.
Pros
Communication
Cons
Self motivation is key to success in IBM, but that was difficult with minimial support and no local network or knowledge having moved to Perth from overseas. I learned to be more foreceful and self reliant and more of what is expected to represnt the logo. The manamgement was varied in approach and expectations and changed constantly which made it confusing over longer periods, so you become adaptable. .
Pros
All for one attitude
Cons
Lack of support from management
Over my time at IBM, I never had personal contact with either the management team from IBM, or my direct supervisor. I was pretty much left to my own devices to shape my own position without any guidance from my manager.
IBM provides amazing opportunities for everyone in the organization and one has a great potential to learn and upgrade his skill. IBM also encourages innovative ways of delivering things.
A typical day was early in morning meeting builders and technical staff on site, over viewing the weeks work and signing off on any work completed, checking the project was running on time and that there were no sections in the red, meeting clients to check all numbers and items requested were correct, updating administration paperwork and making sure all technical staff knew their role and were working to their dead-lines, management were contacted if I could not achieve goals in allocated time of which a Project Management Group meeting was held once a week for this type of work. I learn't that most projects are team work and that they need a single point of contact for all questions. Hardest part of the role was when a client changed numbers then the knock on effect of all other departments changed, sometimes this could place a few days onto the end project date. The most enjoyable part of the role was when a client moved into their new premises and was smiling and saying thank you.
Pros
Technical Team
Cons
Weekend Work