IBM logo
IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Employee Reviews for Software Engineer

Software Engineer671 reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Found 671 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,824 reviews

Nice work culture for continious learning

Its wonderful experience to learn and share knowledge. Interacting with customers and understand their need. Reflect their thoughts in work for excellent productivity. Put the client first and dedicate towards their happiness.

a typical day at work

IBM is no more an IBM we used to know. Gradually, it's India operation has been filled up with people in middle management who relies more on buttering and saving their own job, rather emerging as a thought provoking leaders. This racket has become fairly large and they never promote employees in actual sense. There are lack of career development and growth opportunities. All policies exists on pen and paper only and twisted as per the management need when it requires to squeeze/corner an employee who is NOT an yes man. It's "you scratch my back, I will do yours" atmosphere created in very organized way. Various operational decisions will flow down and Band 8/9/10 people are only keen to hear from YES MEN!! They created an environment gradually that damaged the harmony, franternity amongst the co-workers and there is a very unhealthy competition to be in manager's good book culture developed. This entire chain is dependant on personal level to each other. Some managers work on behalf of their tower leaders to collect house rent, cheque deposits to the bank, just to satisfy their supervisors for years. Think how they would think of their subordinates!!!?? There have been an unholy nexus formed between project managers, tech managers, tower leads and local HRs where there specific regionality matches, and come down to the employees hard as a gang to supress the employees who raise their voices.

Good benefits, poor vision

Constantly swapped projects, no real clear vision. Direct managers were pretty helpful but outside of them anyone else wasn't available to talk with. Overall bad experience.

Benefits

Cons

Low pay

very professiona

Some of the smartest and most professional people I have ever met. I Had opportunites for learning and advancement, nad worked with professionals in cutting edge technologies.

Great people, very interesting products, okay compensation

Compensation is okay, but better than smaller companies.Where IBM really shines is in the talented people that it has, in my case both engineers and managers.Also they have some very interesting products.

Great work life balance

Great work life balance. Amazing direct manager that do listen to the employees. While there is a lot to improve but IBM is changing to the right direction.

Pros

Flexible office and work from home mix. Best work life balance

Cons

Compensation is not very competitive compared to other big tech company

Not enough pay and growth

Best WLB, job is never stressful, and the people are great. But the pay is low and the work is meaningless. Good for coasting and retirement but not for growth.

Best place to work in Guadalajara

I joined IBM as intern and since then I've been able to growth myself, I'm able to learn a lot of things everyday and build new products. I feel I have the 100% liberty to be 100% responsible of my job and I love that. The benefit besides salary are amazing.

Good wlb

Company has very good work life balance. Great campus. People are super friendly. Tech stack is outdated. Experience varies depending on the department.

Pros

gold culture, low stress. People are very nice and respectful

Cons

low compensation, doesn’t care about employee growth.

reliable job with workaholic culture

IBM was the first career job I had out of college. It was happy to find a job at a big company where I thought as a fish in a big pond I'd have room to excel. What I discovered about IBM is that they are extremely penny-pinching when it comes to work and compensation. As a Global Business Services employee I was expected to work at least 44 hours, sometimes as much as 60 hours, and was still expected to work on proposals on the side. I was never able to obtain any promotions, raises, or bonuses at the company except by deliberately switching to a different departments.

Pros

work remotely, well recognized company

Cons

long work hours, difficult to advance, outdated technologies

Jobs at IBM

Software Engineer positions
See more jobs

IBM: Where mediocrity goes to die

IBM is a very dysfunctional organization. I would not encourage you to apply or work there unless you value process over productivity, posturing over transparency, and bureaucracy over technology.

Pros

Flex time means you can work any 24 hours a day you choose

Cons

Everything is an emergency, endless meetings disguised as Agile

Lots of work, until their isn't

When you have a project it's great but things have slowed down a lot recently. The constant fear of layoffs makes every day a joy....make of that what you will

Define your own path

IBM has a multitude of options for defining your own career. Airways offering the option of moving to be roles/challenges. They provide a multitude of ways to learn and educate yourself in a variety of areas. The downsides are more limited to being a massive company. There's always multiple levels of corporate red tape to get things changed. The physical sites are on the older side lacking many modern amenities of newer tech companies

Pros

Career mobility, learning opportunities

Cons

Facilities are stuck in the 80s

Great work place

Love working here! The pay is great and the learning is amazing.I have been able to work on several very engaging projects while working here. I was pleasantly surprised at how friendly and open everyone was. Everyone is willing to help you succeed!

Productive and enjoyable experience

It was good learning experience with IBM. Good ambience and colleagues were really helpful and friendly. Management was appreciative and approachable.

Overall good company to work with. Management is not supportive

The Company has a good work-life balance and growth opportunities. The bad part is that there is a lot of politics in the management and it's not very supportive.

Still one of the leaders in integrity

First of all let me start by saying in my 3+ years at IBM never once did I encounter a manager or colleague who harassed me or someone else at the company. People are full of integrity, respect, and really do value work-life balance. I worked as a software engineer on the GBS team which was unique in how flexible it was. You need to travel to client sites (at least pre-covid), and my day can range from a couple hours of work to working until 5AM (only happened once or twice though). Not a single manager or product manager ever micro-managed me or made me feel uncomfortable. The 4 stars instead of 5 has to do a bit with the "old school" culture. I was oftentimes pushed to travel to client sites for even just a few days. It was fun the first few times, but after some time it was a waste of time, energy, and money. I felt the justification behind it was mainly around "this is how it always has been" which I think says something about how IBM is a bit "stuck in the times". Regardless, I would recommend IBM as a great place to work, especially to younger candidates early in their career.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Old-School mentality

Flexible working hours

As s part of IBM India software lab , excellent work culture. Competitive products to work on, many learning avenues. Lots of senior talented people around to work with and collaborate.

Pros

Already mentioned, nothing more to add.

Cons

You need to network a lot to go higher up in ladder. Not best in salary as per industry standards.

합리적이고 이성적인 가업문화

한국IBM에서 신입사원으로 챠용이 되어 근무를 시작한 1988년애는 국내애서 주5일근무를 시행하고 있던 곳은 미국대사관과 I한국BM뿐이었음.한국IBM은 IBM이 추구하는 기업이념인 '개인존중'문화룰 바탕으로 하여 '완전성추구' 및 '기업의 사회적 책임'등을 강조하는 IBM기업윤리이념을 바탕으로 하여 매우 합리적이고 이성적인 기업문화를 가지고 있음.

Fu Place to work,

Nice and excellent place, wonderful environment and projects to work.No stress and very flexible work timings

Tons of layoffs- stay away

I worked at IBM for over a decade and every year we were fearing about the layoff. They don't value good employees and only care about politics. For over a decade salary never changed, not considered for promotion. Tons of layoffs every year and immediately replacing them with fresh graduates/interns.

Pros

Work schedule/location flexibility

Cons

Everything else
  • IBM