IBM
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IBM Pay & Benefits reviews: Software Engineer

Clear
3.9Work–Life Balance
3.5Pay & Benefits

Found 187 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,948 reviews

Good benefits

Typical blue-chip company with good pay and very good benefits. IT professionals are usually exposed to a variety of proprietary and open source software. A very beneficial corporate experience.

Fun place to work

Fun place to work, new technologies, chill place to work , no stress , work life balance, wfh , benefits , good management, great people , supportive members

Good company

Pro: Good company with great benefits. Good work and life balance. Cons: You will be very busy everyday.you will be surrounded by smart people and will learn a lot.

Pros

great benefit

Cons

busy everyday

a typical day at work

IBM is no more an IBM we used to know. Gradually, it's India operation has been filled up with people in middle management who relies more on buttering and saving their own job, rather emerging as a thought provoking leaders. This racket has become fairly large and they never promote employees in actual sense. There are lack of career development and growth opportunities. All policies exists on pen and paper only and twisted as per the management need when it requires to squeeze/corner an employee who is NOT an yes man. It's "you scratch my back, I will do yours" atmosphere created in very organized way. Various operational decisions will flow down and Band 8/9/10 people are only keen to hear from YES MEN!! They created an environment gradually that damaged the harmony, franternity amongst the co-workers and there is a very unhealthy competition to be in manager's good book culture developed. This entire chain is dependant on personal level to each other. Some managers work on behalf of their tower leaders to collect house rent, cheque deposits to the bank, just to satisfy their supervisors for years. Think how they would think of their subordinates!!!?? There have been an unholy nexus formed between project managers, tech managers, tower leads and local HRs where there specific regionality matches, and come down to the employees hard as a gang to supress the employees who raise their voices.

Good benefits, poor vision

Constantly swapped projects, no real clear vision. Direct managers were pretty helpful but outside of them anyone else wasn't available to talk with. Overall bad experience.

Benefits

Cons

Low pay

Great people, very interesting products, okay compensation

Compensation is okay, but better than smaller companies.Where IBM really shines is in the talented people that it has, in my case both engineers and managers.Also they have some very interesting products.

Great work life balance

Great work life balance. Amazing direct manager that do listen to the employees. While there is a lot to improve but IBM is changing to the right direction.

Pros

Flexible office and work from home mix. Best work life balance

Cons

Compensation is not very competitive compared to other big tech company

Not enough pay and growth

Best WLB, job is never stressful, and the people are great. But the pay is low and the work is meaningless. Good for coasting and retirement but not for growth.

Best place to work in Guadalajara

I joined IBM as intern and since then I've been able to growth myself, I'm able to learn a lot of things everyday and build new products. I feel I have the 100% liberty to be 100% responsible of my job and I love that. The benefit besides salary are amazing.

Good wlb

Company has very good work life balance. Great campus. People are super friendly. Tech stack is outdated. Experience varies depending on the department.

Pros

gold culture, low stress. People are very nice and respectful

Cons

low compensation, doesn’t care about employee growth.

Jobs at IBM

Software Engineer positions
See more jobs

reliable job with workaholic culture

IBM was the first career job I had out of college. It was happy to find a job at a big company where I thought as a fish in a big pond I'd have room to excel. What I discovered about IBM is that they are extremely penny-pinching when it comes to work and compensation. As a Global Business Services employee I was expected to work at least 44 hours, sometimes as much as 60 hours, and was still expected to work on proposals on the side. I was never able to obtain any promotions, raises, or bonuses at the company except by deliberately switching to a different departments.

Pros

work remotely, well recognized company

Cons

long work hours, difficult to advance, outdated technologies

Flexible working hours

As s part of IBM India software lab , excellent work culture. Competitive products to work on, many learning avenues. Lots of senior talented people around to work with and collaborate.

Pros

Already mentioned, nothing more to add.

Cons

You need to network a lot to go higher up in ladder. Not best in salary as per industry standards.

Tons of layoffs- stay away

I worked at IBM for over a decade and every year we were fearing about the layoff. They don't value good employees and only care about politics. For over a decade salary never changed, not considered for promotion. Tons of layoffs every year and immediately replacing them with fresh graduates/interns.

Pros

Work schedule/location flexibility

Cons

Everything else

Dead end (specific to support)

I got baited into taking a support position, when I was looking for development. I was under the impression that I would be supporting the clients by making code changes, but that was not the case. I was also lied to about what team I would be on - the posting mentioned a specific product which I researched for weeks before I started, only to find out I would be working on a completely different product, which shared a brand for about a month.It wasn't made clear in the job posting that every few months, you would be expected to go on call. There was no mentorship, and no training materials. You were expected to figure things out on your own, on a product that I didn't even have access to (having access to a system which was four releases out of date before I even started doesn't count).We were told countless times that if there's a problem, we should let the clients run into it before telling them we have a fix for it. Because "it looks bad" if they are told there's a problem.The only positive I can think about is the above average pay for the type of work being performed. But above average starting compensation was just the bait - there is no hope for advancement in support. I got a full salary band promotion, and my raise was 5%.

Pros

Compensation, 401k match

Cons

Expected on call, no advancement opportunities, no mentorship, no training

Nice People But Annoying Management

Salary is a bit on the lower end for the area. Not enough for a decent 1 bedroom apartment on my own. Work/Life balance okay, could be better. I managed to work remotely every other Friday. But I think this really depends on your project manager. Start times were flexible. Some people on our team got in before 8am others come in after 9am. I worked in the CIC which is separate to mainline IBM. Its basically just Java/JavaScript roles with a few others so not much opportunity for other stuff. But I managed to work on a few new technologies. So it depends on your project really. People there are really nice. Get on with them all and a really good culture. Management really started to annoy me though. I joined as a graduate and I thought there would be a project lined up but I ended up on the bench for 3 months doing loads and loads of online e-learning. The free courses on udemy were good but most of the time you didn't get a choice of stuff to learn either. They want you to learn whatever the current/upcoming projects will use. Including salesforce. After a while it gets stressful though because you get asked everyday what did you do to find/apply to a project. There were hardly any available though and you run out of projects to apply to then they get mad that you didn't apply to any that day. They then started trying to get people who joined as developers to be testers and thats when things started taking off. Loads of the graduates just started leaving, because theres nothing to do. Don't get me wrong you can just keep learning and learning and still get paid but after -

Please know what you are getting into

For software engineers this company does allow significant flexibility and a more laid-back environment than you would find at other top competing tech firms, but you must know that the pay is below average, the layoffs are in abundance, the CEO/executives do not prioritize you as an engineer, and there is generally a wide discontentment and negative view of IBM from engineers external to IBM who know the way the company operates. If you are looking to coast by with a mediocre salary, this is not a bad place to be - but don't expect long-term stability, career growth, or respect.

IBM is a great place to work. The company offers good benefits. There is always a focus on innovation and developing new products although the execution could be better.

good environment to learn

good for entry level software developers and tons of talented senior developers to learn from but work culture isnt the best and lot of overtime work required without getting paid and not much bonus

Great Opportunity

Being an IBMer is a great way to start a career. The good things: - Company that gives great long time career opportunity - Salary The challenges: - Career Growth - Management

Room to learn

Manager could be better and good. More competitive salary could be given to staff and the way bonus ae shared is something so annoying because those who do the main work only get crubs

Pros

Plenty time and no micro management

Cons

Low salary

Worked at different positions in IBM

I worked at different positions at IBM from junior to middle experience level. It was fun working for IBM. I loved it very much. Had it been for the Canada immigration, I would have worked for IBM for far longer than my current duration which is close to 6 years including the 1 year internship opportunity I had at IBM.

Pros

Work-Life Balance

Cons

Salary can be bit less compared to the competition in the market.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

10.5K
11.3K
6.5K
1.7K
1K

• IBM
  • Software Engineer
  • Pay & Benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?