IBM

Australia253 reviews

Clear
3.9Work–Life Balance

Found 107 reviews matching the searchSee all 31,820 reviews

Upper Management doesn’t care about bulk employees

My full time work experience with IBM as an entry level Graduate certainly could’ve been better. I started as an intern 5 years ago and the internship is a great experience and a great entry level into the corporate world. Once I started full time, COVID was thrust upon us and the level of support I had while working from home wasn’t great. As a graduate and as someone who is just starting their career I don’t think IBM truly understood the importance of being in the office for our social lives, for networking purposes that are important for all careers and for our mental health. Working from home may have its perks but I felt like my career was going no where during this period. I can only hope that others can progress their career post covid as a young graduate.

Pros

Great entry level job

Cons

Lack of support from upper management

Too focussed on Dollars to care about people

Every time we had a vacancy in our team the vacancy was not clear to be filled for at least 3 months. This went on many times. I thought the management structure above me was particularly vague, and the only time I met my bosses boss was when there was a lot of trouble in the work place.

No work life balance, senior leadership is very poor

Churn and burn, working for an American company they don't really care about employees in Australia. Too slow to adapt as the company is too top heavy.

Turning around

Some interesting growth areas e.g AI. However, in general still struggling to find the right direction. Constant restructuring cause top talent loss and talent underutilisation. Too much focus on cost cutting result in short-sighted decisions in many cases.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Constant restructuring

Typical big corporate organization.

Lots of layers of management and comparative culture to get good jobs, lots of inexperienced employees. Too many people involved in simple decisions. Rely on their size and reputationbl rather results.

Pros

Great offices

Cons

Management is poor

Interview them as deeply as they interview you!

Great staff at the technical levels. IBM's reputation seems to earn it some solid Government contracts. However... I should have taken the obvious hint the universe was trying to send, when the interviewer for the first interview arrived 30 minutes after the appointment time, and didn't seem to know what was going on. Accepted a senior management role, but within a month or two it became obvious the role was surplus to requirements. Let go after five months with little support or direction, and wondering why I was hired. IBM Ballarat has a close relationship with Federation University, so be prepared to work with students in "Earn and Learn" programs - this is both a pro and a con. Workplace is distant from the Ballarat CBD, with not many facilities close by.

Pros

Great technical people. Good training if you can find it.

Cons

Micromanagement, sprawling hierarchy, no onsite HR.

Great work life balance

Great company for working parents - the trade off is a lower salary though... nice offices but you also have to work really hard and play the politics game to get ahead at IBM...

Fast paced consultancy with a focus on keeping customer happy

The environment was one of pandering to the client rather than looking at what the client really needed and guiding them to a better outcome. Sometimes delivery is not the best outcome for the client. Limited Executive support but lots of blame and overzealous coaching rather than examining the real issues.

Typical large company

My experience depended heavily on the line management for the role I was in. With a good manager it was a fair place to work, with other management it was driven by politics with little support for employees.

This is a small industry and I do not intend to comment

This company was good to work for. I dont believe its appropriate to pass comment on an organizations in a small it industry. The culture was great. Management was great

Relaxed work environment

Overall good experience with IBM Management is supportive Good work life balance The work culture is really good Enjoyed the work at IBM Opportunity to learn new technologies

Excellent

Solid career path; strong management; overseas travel and opportunities; comprehensive training; leadership opportunities; strong engagement with IBM stakeholders and customers

Excellent work life balance at IBM

Wonderful times at IBM - so sorry to leave. Excellent mix of travel all throughout ASIAPAC and ANZ. Management changed regularly though and this did affect the balance of our team.

An enjoyable 7 years

I spent 7 years with IBM on the NAB account. In 2012 I was award the IBM eminence and excellence award for Project Management. IBM is a world leader in Technology and I gained immerse experience from my time there.

Just a number

No rewards for a job well done, had very little communication with management. No job security. Computers where 2 rate and was very difficult to do your position.

Very nice place to work at.

Very nice place to work at. Nice management. Lots of growth opportunities. The company encourages to develop new skills and offer lots of paid certifications.

good company

nice experience. helped a lot during pregnancy. good company. low salary. less hike . work life balance . learnt a lot of new technologies. Management is also good.

First 8 years of employment was fulfilling. Thereafter, work culture took a decline

Initially eight - 10 years was fulfilling and challenging. Unfortunately, thereafter, with change in manager and management the wok culture was much to be desired.

Great place to work.

Very relaxed but need to be on top of changing environment & technology. Generous pay & leave conditions. Management may mislead staff. Always opportunity’s to further career.

Lost focus on employees...

Great place years ago but has lost its way in recent times....the work life balance mentality that is something they were so supportive of has been replaced with 'micro-management' approach and job insecurity.

My journey

I had a fantastic 37 year career with IBM in business management. The values learnt provided my family with the guidance in our journey through life. The culture is based upon respect for all. I look back and realise it was "living the dream". It wasn't always easy, but I was always more than happy to dedicate myself to whatever was required. I guess that's what being an IBMer is all about. What IBM deserves from me and my family is a great big THANK YOU !

Pros

The culture

Cons

nothing I can think of

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare IBM with