IKEA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

IKEA Employee Reviews

Australia134 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Found 134 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,127 reviews

Great experience working there

I had I good time working there. Really good and collaborative team. It could be a bit slow to move with projects. But good place to work in overall.

Pros

Flexible work. Relaxed work environment.

Cons

It could be a bit slow to take decisions, very finance centric l, instead of customer centric

Chilled out workplace with great food and enough departments to keep you from being bored. Management is really nice and supportive.

IKEA is a great place to work. The management is not overbearing and demanding. They do get annoyed if they have to babysit, so if you can take responsibility for your work, then you are fine. The upper management is awesome, very nice and supportive, they come and talk to you on the floor explaining what's going on and what you are doing good even if you are a cleaner.On shift food was discounted by like 70% so breakfast and lunch was good to have. All other items have a good discount too, I think around 20%. So you can shop and fill your house with IKEA stuff.The atmosphere is very reserved and there aren't many people who are up for hanging out after their shifts for a beer or 2. People working there for 5 years don't know if their co worker have kids or not. Don't expect there are trivia nights or something.No complains though. A good workplace with a chilled out atmosphere and lots of different shifts available.

Pros

Discounts Management Pay

Cons

No employee after work activities like happy hour beers or trivia nights. No job advancement

Stayed longer than needed for the people I worked with.

Ikea was a company that gave me a chance when others wouldn't so I felt that I always owed them. However as my health deteriorated things went downhill. As covid hit I followed their rules regarding not coming in with symptoms however was put on a performance plan for "getting sick too much". They would preach about the values but never showed it, where was togetherness when I was put into a meeting and suggested I come into work when I'm sick? The only thing that kept me there were my fellow coworkers.

Pros

Cheap lunches, easy location, nice people to work with

Cons

Management who don't embrace the values they push onto you.

Best place to work

Good career and personal support. Great coworkers to work with. Good pay and benefits. Job can be full on and physical but the management understand if you have limitations. They also support inclusivity and diversity. So much programs you can participate to advance your career. Public holiday can be a bit overwhelming as the customers are pouring in but the teamwork make it more bearable.

Pros

Employee discount, good work culture, trainings and advancement.

Cons

Job can be be very physical in some department (lifting big boxes etc.)

Great company shame about the management in departments not store

Great company to work for .Exciting,fun,new challenges but mangers and teamleader need to be shafted for new and a brighter outlook as the ones who have been there for some years are too comfortable and forgot the IKEA values .Co workers are treated by them like second class citizens.Not so family anymore.

Pros

Exciting place

Cons

Not enough respect

excellent management no stress at work super fun people to work with.

i loved everyday working at ikea super helpful management never felt unheard always had support really amazing work balance excellent pay rate and always felt energetic to work there

Pros

employee benefits lovely food

Cons

little bit far from train.

great culture and work relationships with good coworker restaurant

great culture and work relationships with good coworker restaurant,management is okay but lacks effort and empathy. day to day activities can be boring.

Pros

lunch culture friends

Cons

attention to coworker wants

Low moral pretty depressing call centre

I would not recommend. They still haven’t sorted a lot of things out in regards to training and only career development for those already in place for it aka hierarchy. Pretty depressing office. No support to WFH must be serious reason. Not flexible no work life balance

Pros

Bonus after 6 months every yeEar

Cons

Everything else

Not good if you have an incident you lose your job

They are not what they say they are out to be, treating people like objects and bullying.People are pressured to meet KPIs and favouritism is noticed in that environment.

Pros

Cheap food and soft drinks

Cons

Bullying

Management culture needs improvement

If you are new or friends with upper management, it is an easy place to work.Work/life balance can be hard to achieve while working late nights and multiple weekends. Hard work and good results are not rewarded with a raise or the chance for promotion. If you are very good at your job, you will be stuck there. Good results only benefit managers. Management and office staff are very clique oriented. If you are not part of the in-group, you will go nowhere.There are lots of good co-workers, so it is easy to have friends.

Pros

Discount, good co-workers, cheap lunch

Cons

Bad management, nepotism, small contracts

One of the great company to work with.

Based upon my 17 years of experience and working with companies like Nestle, Cadbury, Federal-Mogul, and Decathlon. I can say IKEA is much better. Everyone is very humble. Company is fully committed to the environment. It belongs to trust so no rat race unlike others to maximize the value of share or profit. During COVID their stores were shut down worldwide but they didn't fire anyone. If you are looking for a good work-life balance and great culture IKEA is the company. However the salary is not that great.

Pros

Work culture, work life balance, subsidized food....

Cons

Salary, people are not competent so takes time for any decision making.

Productive and satisfied customer at the end of the day

They are so strict and yo can't make mistake on forklift accident and you are like another no for them as a worker they will replace you straight away if you make 3 misrakes on the floor due to there stupid pallet set up and awkward long pallet and small very light skids tipped any of the pallet 3times your out the door open wide for you

Pros

Cheap and satisfying meal

Cons

There no manual instruction for the rf scanners not enough trainning on scanners for bigginers h

Time flies, lovely team

I am a social friendly person so love to solve the problem of customer so IKEA is the right place if you are people 's person.Here I learned to keep myself calm, patience when you have to deal with irritate customer. It's so fun at work and you will be so envolve at work, you will not notice how fast time flies this is the best part.

Pros

Lovely team, you get food in cheapest price.

Cons

Sometimes physical

A nice culture,but a difficult customer base

Overall, a good experience.I made some friends and you get treated well as an employee.Some perks involved.The customers are the thing that drove me away from working there.Very rude and impatient customers.Worth working there ,if you have the patience.

Pros

Treated well as an employee

Cons

Hours are everywhere and rude/annoying customers

Nepotism is rife

unless you come from one of the countries where IKEA is strong, ie the UK, Ireland etc you don't have a chance to progress managers will bring people in from Overseas before they look at local talent but they will deny it every time they sing the values but then they do what they want to get the job done

Pros

cheap lunches

Cons

managers from Overeas - Jobs for frtiends

Nice and fun

It's a great place to work Management was good and all co workers friendly. It's indeed a family. I would recommend it to everyone. Ikea is a lovely lovely place to work.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Can be stressful

Horrible management

Company culture and pay were great, however, do not expect to receive many hours. My manager and team leader did not manage employees on checkouts (always in the office). If they made a mistake they would not acknowledge it. They would blame it on anyone else, each other, or straight up gaslight you. Every week I was rostered on openings that I was not taught on, so every week I had to message team leader to swap shifts (because they don't check rosters until the day before). Then the team leader complained that I had bad communication because I should have told him to teach me opens (even though I did). There are many more things to complain about. However, If you want to work on checkouts, do not even try to work hard. You'll be underappreciated.

Pros

discounts, cheap meals, designated lunch room and locker rooms.

Cons

Horrible management within multiple levels, zero appreciation.

Overall good experience.

Staffs are friendly to work with. Everyone work as a team and safety is undertaken properly with good working environment. Got new experience about safety and sanitation.

Toxic Management

Possibly the most toxic environment I’ve ever worked in. Nepotism rules here and if the management of the call centre didn’t monopolise the jobs with their family members and friends then they’d never get jobs anywhere else. Don’t do it to yourself. They’re horrid.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Toxic culture

Busy and stress full.

Where i worked in my department(return and exchange),always busy.Customers are always demanding,you have to make a quick decisions regardless and talked nicely with them.

friendly and fast-paced

Great culture. Friendly co-workers. Friendly managers. Friendly supervisors. Fast-paced. Good pay. Weekly rosters. Flexible hours. They provide you with tools and uniform.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• IKEA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?