IKEA

IKEA Employee Reviews

Australia163 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Found 163 reviews matching the searchSee all 10,328 reviews

Good Retail workplace, but be prepared to say goodbye to work/life balance.

In terms of big box Retail, IKEA makes a solid argument in terms employability for the following reasons:- Generous leave entitlements- Okay pay for a Level 1 Co Worker, great pay for higher tier co-workers- Heavily discounted lunches- Great "opportunities" for growth (in different departments or onwards to management)However be aware that:- The company will talk about how people are its greatest asset, but it's a blatant front. You will work when IKEA wants you to work; whether that is by cutting your hours, or making you work 3/4 weekends. Their financial bottom-line outweighs any sort of employee satisfaction- The company will milk your initiative. If you put your hand up to take on extra responsibilities, they will happily pile them on you without a pay-rise, and if they decide they like you being in a particular department after being cross-trained (it makes them more money), you will be permanently put there despite your original placement, even if it's against your will.- 3/4 weekends is a requirement in most roles- False promises of progressionBe mindful of the above. If you are willing to dedicate your life to the business then you may find yourself in a great career with a good pay packet, if you're lucky. You just need to be willing make some sacrifices to get there. The IKEA workplace if very cliquey to the point of cultish, so just keep that in mind.

Pros

As above.

Cons

As above.

It was the best time i had working in IKEA, Tempe, Sydney

I felt delighted to work with IKEA team from 2011 to 2013. It was wonderful journey and I was started to believe myself while working. I feel confident to test my skills. I wish I could go back and work again for IKEA. Certainly, A Great Place to Work, I missed a lot.

Pros

Good working culture, Nice food and wonderful people

Cons

None i feel

IKEA insights

What people like
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Terrible. Don't do it

Used to be good. Now money money money. Terrible culture and our department essentially self serve so most of staff have gone and people lost their jobs.

Fun place to work

Good environment to work in with many great people, management could be better and the pay is quite low for the job. Great for people new to the industry.

Incredible work place.

The best workplace I’ve ever been the privilege of being apart of. This company is so far ahead of others.The incredibly dynamic and unique culture at IKEA is almost overwhelming, it’s just so unusual to find such a workplace actually exists in this world.

Pros

Incredible culture

Cons

Good staff however management could be better

Great culture due to values instilled by ikeaManagement could be better.High turnover and can be short-staffed sometimes. Overall happy with my experience at IKEA

Pros

Good people

Cons

Understaffed

Good co-workers, management a bit strict

Overall Ikea was a good place to work at and offered different roles in varied departments for you to move into. Working in sales was a good experience, however logistics was more strict as they have set KPI’s you must adhere to. They are also quite strict with availability as they encourage you to do more shifts and don’t quite like you taking time off. Salary pay is okay but the co-workers and environment make up for it.

Good place to work for a short while

good place to work if you wanna earn some money in your free time. Especially friendly to uni student, moms, etc. The overall environment was not bad, it feels like a team that each team member supports each other but there was not much career progression.

Management is really bad

The job is great for a first job, good pay but they do over work you for that pay. Within my first week they put in places I wasn’t even trained for and expected me to finish the job without any training.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Management is really bad, understaffed staff so a lot of extra responsibilities

Overall a really good pla e to work.

Majority of the time co-workers are looked after. On the job training, learn as you go. Job security as Ikea offer permanent part time contracts. Co-worker restaurant on site with reasonably priced food and drinks. Good mix of culture and races

Mediocre at best

I feel there us a difference between what the Company stands for and what the Tempe store stands for. Do not expect job support or proactive training.

Pros

The discounted meals and discount on products

Cons

Lack of work life balance in the culture

Cruisy and Fun workplace at first

It used to be a good and friendly workplace but with the restructure and change in management it is no where near as good. Now it's all changed, the culture is all about brown nosing, favouritism, who you know. Management, who's your mate. Some leaders dont recognise your hardwork, you could do twice as much work but get less credit than the other person. Pay and benefits is pretty good though.

Supportive co-workers & genuine management

Management truly makes you feel wanted and welcomed, and co-workers are all supportive. Lots of opportunities to cross-train, move up in the company & relocate to different stores if needed.The wage is above minimum, and there’s no gender pay gap as it’s kept equal for everyone which is awesome.The uniforms are comfortable (and free). First time I can say that it’s a workplace I don’t dread heading into every shift.

Pros

Very cheap lunches, discounts on almost everything from food to items, awesome management and actual friendships with coworkers

Cons

Sometimes shifts get changed on you and you get less hours with no warning, is a bit tedious getting rosters 4 weeks in advance which leaves no room for emergency events

IKEA is fun

Working at IKEA lets you make friends with a lot of different people who are in the same department as you, and you can move around departments once you become more experienced, which makes it more fun. It can get a bit exhausting sometimes as there is a lot of customer interaction.

Not a bad off-the-street type job!

Working in the warehouse was physically exhausting but it kept me fit for many years and the base-level pay was surprisingly good. Upper-management were very "drink the kool-aid", slightly delusional.

Pros

Staff restaurant, job security

Cons

Short shifts leading you to work 5-6 days a week just to make up a small contract.

Good environment to work in and great teams. Cheap meals and also 15% off with the products, everyone is super nice here . Always asks questions when you need help.

Great benefits, horrible culture

Working for the company itself isn’t so bad. I have absolutely no trust in the HR team. Be wary of going into the food department,they are looked at like the scum of the store..yet they work the hardest. If you like sucking up managers behinds,you will get far in this company.

Backwards company, incompetent management, exhausting work

I took this job as a stop-gap position until I graduated from university. The work itself is physically and emotionally exhausting as a fair amount of manual labour and customer interaction is a given. Management are completely out of touch, and there seems to be a significant amount of favouritism. Wouldn't recommend

Pros

Cheap lunch

Cons

Management, customers

Not sure

The beginning was good than management changed and it wasn't the same. I won't recommend as employers are not rewarded for the hard work. Collegues overall were nice

Backbreaking & Thankless

You just have to figure it out by yourself, if you don’t get rushed instructions they will be angry if you don’t repeat it. Concrete floors, sore back and feet, have to do the job of 2 people at once, everything in interview/induction reverse it and that’s the culture.

Stressful workplace and difficult managers

Unfortunately I worked under some terrible managers and they made life very hard for me and my work colleagues. Very clique’ie work place and they expected so much out of their staff but gave very little in return.

Pros

Canteen food was very handy and I worked with some amazing colleagues.

Cons

They like to separate their managers from the rest of their staff - very divided hierarchy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare IKEA with

• IKEA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?