J.R. Simplot Company
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

35: J.R. Simplot Company Employee Reviews

Australia35 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Product Marketing Powerhouse - just avoid internal IT for anything.

A very family-oriented company with a strong commitment to the vision and goals. There is a strong tie to the US parent company and that can impact decisions regarding product launches as they need to meet the yearly numbers. The big challenge is that budgets are trickled out and a project you may spend months on will be put to the board and killed because they deemed it too expensive. But the reason it was too expensive was IT got involved and spent 1/4 of the budget on a feasibility study, then they want to redo part of their infrastructure before they can consider the project - thus projects are 5 years late and then canceled. IT is an issue and is holding back the company from being more innovative. There are some great people there but IT becomes an area everyone avoids. The upside is the Product Testing facilities, and the access to try new products.

Not recommended

There are a lot of things about this company that seem great - family owned, smaller organisation (at least in Australia) nice people. However what I would seriously warn anyone who is considering working here is about the management in the IT area. There are managers in this space who do not have basic people management skills and have a complete lack of understanding and compassion for people. I watched several members of my time "let go" and walked out of the building because they "were not performing" or "unhappy". In my opinion management was causing the issues and blaming the wrong people. They would benefits from more self reflection. You can't fire someone for being unhappy, c'mon!

Pros

Zero

Cons

Poor untrained management, Nasty IT Culture, Small IT department behaving as if they know "best practice"

Excellent opportunity to work with very friendly

I worked in Pakenham and staff were extremely helpful supportive and I have been able to express my skills and experience elsewhere and I'm thankful with what I have achieved kind regards I got lots of shifts over the years I worked there like a contract I have nothing to complain about Simplot.

Pros

Lots of shifts

12 14hr days salary, very misleading to what was really required

Very clicky Upper management who like to not lead by example.Long days and nights chasing products and substitute ingredients to keep the place running. Doing the Procurement category managers role, no thanks no help or assistance when asked.Being accused of raising my voice when I never said a thing. Being accused of not completing the work from home application when there wasn't one.A total circus. Wasted my career path here on a job that was not anything like what was advertised. With 25 years Procurement experience I am left shaking my head after 2yrs and 8 months.

Pros

Cheap products at staff sales when you know there on.

Cons

Long hours huge amounts of pushbacks, where staff make everything your responsibility and do not take ownership of anything.

Wonderful working environment

Its was really a great honour to work with J.R.simplot.I use to work in all different food sections.Company give you opportunities for growth and development.excellent working environment.Wish to work in future.

Excellent to work for.

Good company, advancement opportunities and very well looked after. A shame they had to sell our facility to patties who are nothing like Simplot. Thank you Simplot for 8 great years.

Worst people to work with.

They will always try to stress you with a lot of heavy work. Worst Team leaders and supervisor...! Better stay away from this... ! 🥵🥵🤮🤮 Waste of time.

productive environment

a great place to work, i get to know how our is packed, really considerate about hygiene and safety, i like to work across different departments such as sauce, pasta, meal tray etc.

Fast Paced

A great pace to work to learn new skills, and they are willing to give anyone a chance. Very Faced pace job with a high level of physical activity which was great !!

Pros

Night Shift

Smell

Great family environment

Not a bad place to work yet could improve the work life balance. Great family feel, but at times can feel like a large corp mindset. Fantastic festive occasions for adults and kids alike.

Profit driven management

Unwilling to guarantee casual employment security treated as a labour unit and not a person. Have a company policy that only applies when they see fit

Productive and fun workplace

Great company to be employed by, we are very well looked after by way of wages, income protection and safety. The casual component suits my lifestyle, we can be called in at any time or we may be on the roster depending on product availability, in any case being on call 24/7 poses no problem to me. The wages are excellent. I feel my job is secure as I'm a good worker, and there may be chances for advancement in the company. The management of this company are the best, if u do the right thing you'll be looked after. I like that we produce all local produce.

Pros

Rewards for work well done, free tea/coffee great canteen apptoachable msnsgement

Cleaner/ general hand

Constructed cardboard boxes to hold corn product. Cleaning machinery and floor using a hose and shovel. Worked mainly night shift. Good team to work with.

Pros

good penalty rates for nightshift

Enjoyable and friendly

A good learning experience. The job was short term therefore did not manage to interact with too many other employees. However, the people around me were very welcoming and made the environment great.

Like to be busy

A typical day/night at work was to liaison with the oncoming and incoming shift, communicate with superintendents/Team leaders through out the shift. Grading samples enter Data onto computer,keeping up with good housecleaning,communicating with all operators across the whole shift. Working with great people and able to have a laugh.

Good place

I worked here for two weeks on work experience and they were all very nice and took the time to teach me new skills. And agreed being a reference on my resume at one point.

Pros

Nice work environment

productive and good workplace

The production line is split into 3 different shifts, morning, afternoon and night. The job is fast-paced as there is a target that has to be met by the end of each shift. The job is well paying.

Pros

good pay

Cons

long days

Great team environment, with strong culture, but limited advancement opportunities

My previous employer has a great team environment,and strong culture, encouraging a work/ life balance. The autonomy day to day was excellent where time face to face with customers was also encouraged. One on one time with each team member was the cornerstone of each day and coaching each one to achieve key objectives was most satisfying and seeing the growth of each individual most rewarding.

money is the only plus

changing workplace, dictatorial, constantly affecting employee morale long anti social hours, always chopping and changing conditions.

Pros

money is the only plus

Cons

lifestyle and personal wellbeing suffers because of atoxic work envoironment

Working at Simplot Graphic Design Department for Work experience (year 10)

Working at Simplot for a week was really good and heaps of fun. I learnt many new graphic design skills. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful. A typical day at work was re-touching photos or photoshopping them for food brands, or we would be taking photos of food so they can be put onto websites and promoting that product.

Pros

Some times you get free lunch. Free coffee in the kitchen.

Cons

Not really any cons.

O

Alright place. Cold all year round due to the products they have (fish) hard to understand supervisors sometimes cause of their poor English. Hardest part of job is when there's no work and you end up cleaning the walls and scrubbing trolleys..

Pros

discount on fish

Cons

having to change out of uniform to go toilet or break (takes up time)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J.R. Simplot Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• J.R. Simplot Company
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?