Jamaica Blue Employee Reviews

an okay workplace, enjoyed the job but not the members.
Part Time/Casual Work (Former Employee) –  Australia1 July 2019
I enjoyed the work place of this job, I didnt enjoy the people that worked there, i know not every workplace is going to have people you like all the time. other than that a great job.
Pros
free drink on your break
Cons
mean boss
Very Bad, Sexist Management
Customer server & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD5 May 2019
Able to give you work around your schedule, however minimal pay for long hours usually go over time, in the time I worked there I only finished once on time.
Cons
Very Long hours, Harsh and sexist management.
Nice customers
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW24 April 2019
Jamaica Blue was overall a mediocre place to work for people to start working. Some skills you would gain and improve throughout this job would be communication, problem-solving, knowledge on cold drinks (no barista skills) and your memory.
Pros
Nice customers, (May only to my store only) Leggings are acceptable for extra comfort
Cons
A lot of hand washing dishes! Up to 1.5hrs nonstop causing hands to peel and fragile nails, (MAY APPLY TO MY STORE ONLY) -Called in for 2hrs then told to leave if it isn't busy, Tell me to start later if it is not busy or finish earlier, Take a 15-minute break when having to work 8 hours due to it being busy or understaffed
Horrible work environment
WAITRESS/ BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Eastland Shopping Centre VIC5 February 2019
The environment of various Jamaica Blue cafes have been known to be below satisfactory. Management is poor, training is minimal, wages can be below award and Sunday/ holiday rates can be disregarded. Breaks were also very limited to 30 minutes per shift, regardless the shift hours.
productive, fast pace, great work environment
Waitress/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Menai NSW28 November 2018
slow in the morning, busy around morning tea and lunch, great work environment, nice customers. Learnt to be quick on my feet, better memory with customers orders. Family friendly environment.
chilled but exciting
Barista/All Rounder (Current Employee) –  Mandurah WA14 November 2018
my main roles where opening and closing the store, making coffee, taking orders, running food and beverages to customers. counting and handling money.

management mostly good

most part lovely work employees

making sure 100% of customers are happy
Pros
feeling good when people appreciate hard work
Cons
negative feedback /rude customers
No respect for staff
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Miranda NSW29 October 2018
Management at the Miranda location is terrible.
After working there for just under 1 year their way of letting me go was to not send the roster one Saturday night. I had to text my boss the next day and ask if he had sent the roster. It then took him another 6 weeks to send me a simple proof of employment letter which I only got because I contacted head office and told them about the situation. As someone who always showed up early to my shifts and never called in sick you would think that they would give me a little more respect than that. Avoid this place at all costs- there are plenty of other cafes in Westfield to work.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
No respect
General Cafe
Barista (Current Employee) –  Cooroy QLD19 October 2018
Jamaica Blue franchises are all owned separate. My boss is very strict but I have a lot of respect for him he runs a tight ship and expects everyones best effort.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
low pay
Happy and Helpful
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD17 September 2018
The people at Jamaica Blue are always very positive and Happy to help anyone that comes along no matter whats happening would definitely suggest them to others.
interesting
Barista/All Rounder (Former Employee) –  Wagga Wagga NSW14 August 2018
this was my first full job where i was actually being paid. i was a casual employee but enquired more hours after leaving school. i learnt how to wait tables and improve customer service. i then learnt how to open and close a shop and was allowed to do it on my own.
Pros
got to meet new people
Cons
not nice work employees
would not recommend
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Western Australia7 August 2018
Did not get paid while working there.Was working everyday yet no pay.Very unreasonable people.Treated me poorly.Refused to ever give me back the money i earnt.
unprofessional
Barista/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 July 2018
Jamaica Blue was an unprofessional and unfair environment. Key customer service and achieving kpi skills were learnt.
Constant surveillance was monitored and was uncomfortable.
Interaction with customers was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
skills learnt
Cons
wages and environment
Good
Customer service / Food handler (Current Employee) –  Mirrabooka WA23 July 2018
Typical day at work is usually busy but good fun. Good environment for juniors, lovely customers and service. I love interacting with the customers and making sure they're service was wonderful. At Jamaica Blue we aspire to make customers day just that little bit brighter with our amazing customer service and big smiles.
Pros
Good food
Cons
tiring
Barista (Former Employee) –  Miranda NSW22 July 2018
A typical day at work is coming to work opening up the cafe and serving food and drinks to customer first thing in the morning i learn so much from my work place management is pretty good workplace culture everyone is so nice the hardest part of the job is keeping up with the customer and working really fast to make your customer happy and make the best food and drink the most enjoyable part of the job is ending the day happy with nothing wrong
Pros
30mins break - free lunch
productive, fun, good environment
cafe all rounder (Former Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW9 June 2018
I loved working in this fast paced environment, i enjoyed the customers and team that i worked with. I gained a lot of professional experience and work etiquette, they helped me grow as an employee
Not a friendly working enviornment, never clean
CAFE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  North Lakes QLD 45098 May 2018
The work environment was not clean it was dirty and it seemed to be like that every shift, got accused for someone I didn't do and wasn't happy working there so I decided to quit. Not a friendly woking environment.
Productive environment and good staff
Manager (Former Employee) –  North Lakes QLD4 April 2018
Day Started with turning the coffee machine on and getting it ready for the day. The till was then Opened and money was added from the float made up on the previous day. I would then serve customers and make the coffee's for the day. If the team needed me i would then help with cooking food, making cold drinks or running the food out to customers. In the calm periods during the shift I would assist in dishes and maintain my area keeping it clean and backwash the coffee machine. At the end of the shift I would get the float ready close down my area making sure it is clean and ready for the next day and then start closing the till down for the next day whilst making sure my staff for the day were doing their job and keeping on time. I would send the juniors home double check everything was done and then lock the shop up before leaving.
Pros
Secure Job and good Hours
Cons
Pay
Aaa+
Cashier / Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Perth WA9 March 2018
been good working at this place doing some morning and night shifts
having sick and annual leave is a good factor
management is AAA+
enjoyable part is serving costumers
decent
Waitressing (Former Employee) –  Miranda NSW18 February 2018
The work was fun! Some of the people there were incredibly rude. Over all it was fun for my first job, gave me experience in customer service. Customers are always right
Pros
discount
Cons
rude people
Friendly environment, productive and rewarding
Team Member - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury Heights NSW5 January 2018
Jamaica Blue at WSU Hawkesbury Campus is not as busy, but during lunch times it can get busy.
The job includes cleaning tables, sweeping and polishing cutlery.

The hardest part of the job was the cashier register when I first started because there's a system that I had to learn. But eventually I got used to it.

I enjoy talking to various kinds of people, being able to have good conversation with the regular customers.
Pros
Free coffee and discount
Cons
Short hours