James Cook University Employee Reviews

Fun Place
Lecture Tutor (Former Employee) –  1 James Cook Dr, Douglas QLD 481410 January 2019
James Cook University (JCU) is a public university in North Queensland, Australia. The second oldest university in Queensland, JCU is a teaching and research institution. The University's main campuses are located in the tropical cities of Cairns, Singapore and Townsville. JCU also has study centres in Mount Isa, Mackay and Thursday Island. A Brisbane campus, operated by Russo Higher Education, delivers undergraduate and postgraduate courses to international students. The University’s main fields of research include marine sciences, biodiversity, sustainable management of tropical ecosystems, genetics and genomics, tropical health care, tourism and engineering.
Very progressive
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD2 July 2018
A fair institution with a good work ethic and collegiality amongst very able professionals. Supportive administration with an open door policy for all staff.
Pros
Self empowerment
Cons
Non digitization of some sectors
Good to gain experience and learn new skills
Receptionist/Administration Support (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD4 June 2018
A good place to gain some experience but was only there on a contract basis for 6 months and due to financial constraints the contract was not renewed.

I was not given any type of handover, basically thrown in the deep end. Found my feet and enjoyed the job and learning new skills.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Was only a 6 month contract
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD8 March 2018
Working at JCU was a highlight in my career. My role was to provide support to one of the professors who I grew to admire and respect immensely.

Working at JCU introduced me to "Government" positions and the formality that goes with every Government job.

The culture at JCU was something I had never experienced. I very much enjoyed working here unfortunately we had to move to Sydney if that had not occurred I am certain I would have remained in the position for a very long time.

The most difficult part of the position was that the Professor was overseas a lot which meant that one on one communication was at times difficult. However, when the Professor was in the office the role was very rewarding and enjoyable.
Pros
Meeting and working for the Professor who I still hold in very high regard.
Cons
We had to move to Sydney
Challenging and teamwork
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD21 July 2017
As the Research Fellow working in collaboration with other researchers and in collaboration with international Organisations in a Conservation Project in a developing country.

A typical day in the field required a 4.00am wake up, travel 40 km to the Airport. Armed with boxes of questionnaires, camping supplies and lots of patience. Small fixed aircraft flight of 20 minutes lands me at one of 6 possible airstrips. I spend 4-6 weeks in the field, walking between villages, sometimes taking 3 days..food was organic local cuisine..this was the hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job

The academic workplace culture can be cutthroat with the publishing requirements weighing heavy on academics. I was part of a team that was supporting and dependable.

I learned that I had a responsibility to listen to issues outside of my contractual obligations because these were important and validated people.
Pros
allowed to develop as a researcher
Cons
isolation in the field
productive fun workplace
Catering/Refectory/ Deck Cafe Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD21 June 2017
a typical day was serving students and lecturers from the university. I enjoyed the interaction with staff and students. the management was hard but fair and my attitude to me job gave me an edge being able to deal with any type of customer. the hardest part was been run off my feet for 8 hours a day and catering would be nights and very long days
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long commute
Stressful - increasing workloads, decreasing resources and support
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD18 June 2017
Great entitlements and good salary but be prepared to work well in excess of contracted hours. Slow, complex, arduous internal processes were frustrating and often difficult to navigate. Large incentives and bonuses for the people at the top while jobs and budgets are cut for those below - includes academic and support services staff. Excessive use of outsourcing and continual restructures designed to reduce costs undermine morale.
I built some strong personal and professional relationships in my time and found strength and support in some of these. The hardest part was raising legitimate concerns and being ignored. Spectacularly bad management practices were reported and given the band-aid treatment. A very political workplace.
Pros
Entitlements - super, leave, but these are gradually changing (eroding)
Cons
Lack of job security, limited or absent resouces and support - you're on your own
Student
Fulltime student (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD15 May 2017
Cairns Campus for three and a half years
Supportive admin staff and lecturers
Librarians very friendly and professional
Campus layout - a beautiful backdrop of the mountains that inspires conversation in grounds for students to congregate and support each other to succeed in their chosen field of study.
Pros
Regional area
Cons
Limited units of study
Education Facilty
Full Time Studies (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD18 April 2017
A university that offers tertiary Education Spent 3.5 years part time on campus external studies . Business Center was above average and facilities well enough for conscientious student.
Management are only about themselves.
Ex employee (Former Employee) –  QLD23 March 2017
No life/ work balance, need it yesterday, but when they get it, do they use it!
The culture is not good, just ask.
A very diverse range of things going on and very enjoyable on that part only.
Open plan office set up, what a disaster...
Management listen to the wrong people and get the wrong ideas
Fun and Interesting
Undergraduate Engineer (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD27 January 2017
The typical day during my week of experience included a diverse list of skills some of which involved (Soldering and Building Robotic circuits, Programing simple Arduino Robots and finally building and programing a virtual reality and interactive sandpit.). The Supervising students and lecturers gave us great help and gave some inspiring research within their speciality. Possibly the hardest part of the experience was the steep learning curve, yet this made for a challenging but fun experience. Finally the best part of that week was the creation of both the small Arduino Robots and the creation of a virtual reality sandbox that later became an official JCU Project out on display on the 2016 open day. Lastly this was purely an experience and not a job this was to give me and a few of my associates to have an understanding of what an Engineering Degree would require, therefore it had no pay but was a great experience.
flexible hours, great job
Casual Laboratory assistant (Current Employee) –  Townsville QLD15 December 2016
the job had great flexible hours and was a good job for anyone who is looking for something that is working with animals. although skills with a range of animals is advised.
Great place to find student employment opportunities
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD13 December 2016
Worked at various jobs for the uni due to flexibility, environment and convenience. Once I was known it was easy to apply for work and be offered employment. Through my having been an Ambassador and a Mentor my ability to communicate, lead, work unsupervised and manage my time we're sort after skills.
Pros
Able to find work easily once known
Cons
All contract no job security
Exciting Academic environment
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD17 November 2016
Very satisfying teaching and research environment. Management were very supportive and helpful to staff in both teaching and research endeavours. Great collegial atmosphere.
Pros
Inspiring and enlightened workplace.
Cons
Work/life balance was problematic
Staff on the ground are exceptional.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD2 November 2016
Great place to work. Typical day at work entails lots of preparation of meals for students. The best part of the job is interaction with students, you meet young people from different countries and cultures, it is refreshing.
Cons
Long hours, very busy days.
A good place to work at
Security Officer - Casual (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD1 May 2016
Continuing monitoring daily security of premises
Learning of security of buildings
Management and co-workers good to work with
A lot of physical walking and physical checks
Good working conditions
Pros
Good employment place
Cons
Physical walking
Independent and flexible
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Townsville, QLD21 October 2015
I work casually as a research assistant. A typical working week would involve independent laboratory work and result analysis. I would later update and consult with my supervisor on my progress. The most challenging part of this work is to develop the research results to a point where all the anomalies are explained and minimised. When these challenges are overcome it is the most satisfying part of the job.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Overtime is not paid
Empresa onde aprendi muito e obtive muito apoio
Voluntária em pesquisa na área de química (Former Employee) –  Townsville, QLD27 February 2015
Aprendi muito sobre compostos fotocrômicos e sobre cromatografia de coluna como método de purificação.
A fantastic organisation to work for
Enrolment/Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Townsville, QLD26 January 2015
A fantastic organisation to work for. Great work/life balance, supportive, team environment.
flexible hours
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Townsville17 December 2014
flexible hours balance work/life/study
geology process technic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at James Cook University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2