James Cook University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

James Cook University Employee Reviews

4.0Work–Life Balance

Balanced and professional

Great workplace, with fun and professional colleagues. Excellent benefits such as fitness passport even for part time employees. Flexible working hours.

Pros

Free lunches, free printing, flexible working hours

Cons

Not many jobs, short contracts

A wonderful job experience

Working at the university is one of the best decisions I have made. The work environment is peaceful. Would recommend people to apply as a tutor. You gain so much more than just teaching experience.

Ability to learn/ benefits

Within my role I was empowered to determine work flows and manage on a day to day basis. This was done with Technical supervisor input as well as academic staff. No specific role training as I brought these to the position. University updated me with first aid, HR practises, workplace health and safety etc.

Excellent place to work

James C ook University was a great place to work. The staff were awesome and the management let me just get on and do what had to be done with minimal interference but a lot of support when I needed it.

Great job great work environment

Great job great work environment, (loved being able to give back to my profession through teaching students) but position insecure position, was a 12 month locum which didn't become permanent and I had to leave after 12 months.

The worst University I ever worked for

Academics are belittled, publishing can be held against you. Managements at all level often suffer from deep incompetence both academically or as managers. Teaching is often performed by a non-specialist (even when specialist teaching staff is available).

A productive, friendly, challenging and satisfying workplace

Multiple deadlines, throughout multiple peak periods, with constant changes, within a friendly and supportive team environment. The hardest part of my day, is advising students of negative outcomes to their study, the most enjoyable part of my day, turning a students negative news into a positive.

Very very bad

Don’t work there U will regret it It’s a toxic environment and there is no policy that is applied And it willl suck ur soul away n kill ur brain cells

Great colleagues

The department I worked in was very helpful and did not hesitate to share their knowledge. Everyone was welcoming and I did not feel out of place while I was working there.

Fun and always open to learn things.

One of those places that encourage talents. I am happy to be a part of James Cook University as a student first and also as a Assistant Professor. Many college activities helps us to learn many new interesting and helpful things. Good at connecting people as well by conducting fun activities and day trips.

Fun Place

James Cook University (JCU) is a public university in North Queensland, Australia. The second oldest university in Queensland, JCU is a teaching and research institution. The University's main campuses are located in the tropical cities of Cairns, Singapore and Townsville. JCU also has study centres in Mount Isa, Mackay and Thursday Island. A Brisbane campus, operated by Russo Higher Education, delivers undergraduate and postgraduate courses to international students. The University’s main fields of research include marine sciences, biodiversity, sustainable management of tropical ecosystems, genetics and genomics, tropical health care, tourism and engineering.

Very progressive

A fair institution with a good work ethic and collegiality amongst very able professionals. Supportive administration with an open door policy for all staff.

Pros

Self empowerment

Cons

Non digitization of some sectors

Good to gain experience and learn new skills

A good place to gain some experience but was only there on a contract basis for 6 months and due to financial constraints the contract was not renewed. I was not given any type of handover, basically thrown in the deep end. Found my feet and enjoyed the job and learning new skills.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Was only a 6 month contract

Working at JCU was a highlight in my career. My role was to provide support to one of the professors who I grew to admire and respect immensely.Working at JCU introduced me to "Government" positions and the formality that goes with every Government job.The culture at JCU was something I had never experienced. I very much enjoyed working here unfortunately we had to move to Sydney if that had not occurred I am certain I would have remained in the position for a very long time.The most difficult part of the position was that the Professor was overseas a lot which meant that one on one communication was at times difficult. However, when the Professor was in the office the role was very rewarding and enjoyable.

Pros

Meeting and working for the Professor who I still hold in very high regard.

Cons

We had to move to Sydney

Challenging and teamwork

As the Research Fellow working in collaboration with other researchers and in collaboration with international Organisations in a Conservation Project in a developing country. A typical day in the field required a 4.00am wake up, travel 40 km to the Airport. Armed with boxes of questionnaires, camping supplies and lots of patience. Small fixed aircraft flight of 20 minutes lands me at one of 6 possible airstrips. I spend 4-6 weeks in the field, walking between villages, sometimes taking 3 days..food was organic local cuisine..this was the hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job The academic workplace culture can be cutthroat with the publishing requirements weighing heavy on academics. I was part of a team that was supporting and dependable. I learned that I had a responsibility to listen to issues outside of my contractual obligations because these were important and validated people.

Pros

allowed to develop as a researcher

Cons

isolation in the field

productive fun workplace

a typical day was serving students and lecturers from the university. I enjoyed the interaction with staff and students. the management was hard but fair and my attitude to me job gave me an edge being able to deal with any type of customer. the hardest part was been run off my feet for 8 hours a day and catering would be nights and very long days

Pros

free lunches

Cons

long commute

Stressful - increasing workloads, decreasing resources and support

Great entitlements and good salary but be prepared to work well in excess of contracted hours. Slow, complex, arduous internal processes were frustrating and often difficult to navigate. Large incentives and bonuses for the people at the top while jobs and budgets are cut for those below - includes academic and support services staff. Excessive use of outsourcing and continual restructures designed to reduce costs undermine morale. I built some strong personal and professional relationships in my time and found strength and support in some of these. The hardest part was raising legitimate concerns and being ignored. Spectacularly bad management practices were reported and given the band-aid treatment. A very political workplace.

Pros

Entitlements - super, leave, but these are gradually changing (eroding)

Cons

Lack of job security, limited or absent resouces and support - you're on your own

Student

Cairns Campus for three and a half years Supportive admin staff and lecturers Librarians very friendly and professional Campus layout - a beautiful backdrop of the mountains that inspires conversation in grounds for students to congregate and support each other to succeed in their chosen field of study.

Pros

Regional area

Cons

Limited units of study

Education Facilty

A university that offers tertiary Education Spent 3.5 years part time on campus external studies . Business Center was above average and facilities well enough for conscientious student.

Management are only about themselves.

No life/ work balance, need it yesterday, but when they get it, do they use it! The culture is not good, just ask. A very diverse range of things going on and very enjoyable on that part only. Open plan office set up, what a disaster... Management listen to the wrong people and get the wrong ideas

Fun and Interesting

The typical day during my week of experience included a diverse list of skills some of which involved (Soldering and Building Robotic circuits, Programing simple Arduino Robots and finally building and programing a virtual reality and interactive sandpit.). The Supervising students and lecturers gave us great help and gave some inspiring research within their speciality. Possibly the hardest part of the experience was the steep learning curve, yet this made for a challenging but fun experience. Finally the best part of that week was the creation of both the small Arduino Robots and the creation of a virtual reality sandbox that later became an official JCU Project out on display on the 2016 open day. Lastly this was purely an experience and not a job this was to give me and a few of my associates to have an understanding of what an Engineering Degree would require, therefore it had no pay but was a great experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at James Cook University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• James Cook University