Jaycar Electronics
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Jaycar Electronics Employee Reviews in Sydney NSW

Could be better but they are tight
Daily work involves serving customers with technical needs sometimes using your own personal experiences to assist as well as maintain store and stock levels. Personally, have started at Jaycar as a sales assistant and made my way up to store manager so i have seen the full scope at store level. Jaycar has the potential to be a great company but due to management being, tight everyone suffers.

The culture is sometimes toxic but depends on your staff and managers. The hardest part of the job is living up to managements expectations as sometimes what they require from you is unrealistic, I am not also saying this because I was not good at what I have done but they really were ridiculous in there KPI's on occasions.

Most enjoyable was the new and emerging products which you got to experiment with and learn about.
Not the worst, but not the best
Upper (area+) management is delusional and numbers focused only, they give the impression that if you dont meet the sales targets your job is on the line.
Direct managers are usually very good and co-workers are nice so as long as your own manager isnt getting upper pressure its great.

For the skills, knowledge and sales experience we're expected to have you don't get paid like it.
Pros
Staff discounts on commonly used electronics
Cons
Nice if you are into gadgets and electronics but management involvement is a negative factor
I enjoy the other floor staffs company and helping customers with their need can be satisfying.

But the pay is very low and you are expected to work hard for it.

I would say it is a good stepping stone if you want to learn electronics and start a retail career. However, upper management expectation are too high considering the pay they give.
Pros
Freindly staff on the shop floor
Cons
poor pay and management are like headless chooks, training is virtually non existant
Interesting workplace. Despite the name, we dont sell car parts we sell electronics
If you are interested in learning about electronics or have a project you wish to complete, Jaycar can help to acheive that as we sell loads of specific parts. a typical day at work will involve opening up the store, marking off stock and putting them away, answering phone calls and physically assisting customers with their queries and general assistance such as cutting wire, and helping with school or uni related projects. I have learned quite a fair bit working in this industry, I had no prior knowledge of soldering, or resistors, or capacitors, or solar panels etc. The hardest part of the job would be remembering all the technicalities, there are still things i need to learn and every time i come to work, i learn something new. The most enjoyable part of the day is when the shop is closing and we have reached target for that day it feels like we have achieved goal. and I get to go home and relax.
Pros
Christmas work party cruise
Cons
Early morning starts
A thoroughly enjoyable place to work
Joined Jaycar after high school without much customer service experience but my team were very helpful and have since managed to get me up to speed. There's always something to do in a Jaycar store, whilst the job is generally relaxing, the tasks are non stop. The staff are truly excellent, we even meet up outside of work.

On the other hand, there's always tough customers who will throw you off with a weird question and the pay isn't great for all the assumed knowledge, technical advice and occasional observations of customers various projects. Most of the staff have an engineering degree and it comes in handy on a daily basis.
Pros
Excellent work environment, great staff, interesting things to learn all the time
Cons
huge amount of assumed knowledge required, pay isn't that great, occassionaly customer with a random question