JB Hi-Fi Employee Reviews

Accepting, non discrimitive workplace.
Media Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD6 November 2018
Great place to meet life long friends and like minded people. Put my heart and soul into this company for 4 years.
Management make promises they can't keep and are not willing to help or listen to staff overwhelmed with the workloads.
They have lack of staff in their stores to cut costs but it puts a tole on staffs mental health.
Pros
Great products and non-discrmitive workplace
Cons
lack of staff, customer abuse
great company ,powerful culure
Qld /NT Commercial State Manager (Former Employee) –  Queensland14 October 2018
Building relationships across many verticals to add value to solution sales.
Interaction with key warehouse staff and store managers.
Supporting BDM and account mangers to achieve profitable sales across Education,B2B, B2C, Government, Mining, SME,
Pros
People
Cons
Suppliers not having stock in Australia
Fun environment if you luck out and get a quiet store with great workmates
Media advisor/sales (Current Employee) –  Victoria30 August 2018
I was initially employed as a salesperson but got an opportunity to move into media. Some people might think that it is a downgrade (since no commissions) but to me its easy money without the stress of budget and the fear of getting fired because you didn't make it.

The work itself is hard. You clean, you serve, you stock, you delegate - rinse repeat. The pay is minimum wage, and now they've changed the law so that if you get a new contract you no longer get double pay on Sundays.

Management is a hit and miss, depending on what store you get to work in. I've been transferred to four different stores and they have been some AMAZING managers and some.... not so much. I have been bullied in a store and I got a lot of learning experience. Bullying shouldn't happen, we are all adults, but sometimes some people stay childish. Luckily, the bully was fired but only after a year of running around from HR and managers - and I was only bullied because the person was not happy with management and had used me to let off steam.

Obviously, like all companies, JB is out to make money so they're going to have pretty unrealistic goals and push you to meet the department's budget. If you meet them, yay! If not, you're going to be understaffed and even you do hit the goals, they still won't replace the staff that quit so they can continue to profit off of you. If you are a hard-worker, watch out, they won't actually promote you - they'll use you until you get sick. If you want to get promoted, you better make friends with all the higher-ups to get anywhere.

JB has basically 3 different
  more... 'levels'. Store level, Support Office, Insurance & Online. They are actually pretty terrible at communicating with each other. They miscommunicate a lot, especially with customers, which results the employees at store level to get the brunt of the abuse and anger of customers.

I have gone to a lot of interviews to move up, only to be told that they have already somebody in mind (usually a friend??! The JB grape vine... everyone talks) or that I did not have enough "experience". (Apparently 4 years is not enough). They won't promote you in your own store, but rather bring in someone from another store.

Despite all of this; I am still sticking with this company because every other company will be the same and I'm already in too deep, plus the discounts are pretty good.
Pros
great discounts on certain products, great work culture depending on your store, ability to transfer to different stores in other states
Cons
unrealistic goals and budgets, hr don't actually care about you - only about making sure you abide by the rules (if you get bullied, whelp expect nothing to happen to solve it so suck it up)
Fun atmosphere and good work colleagues
Media Advisor (Former Employee) –  Melton VIC4 July 2018
typical day at jb hifi was filled with lots of fun, jokes and great music to get you through your day.
staff and management are amazing, always something to do
Pros
amazing staff, work-life balance
Cons
pay rate
Positive and fun environment, really nice and caring staff
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD3 July 2018
I was only there for work experience a couple years ago, but everyone was really nice, helpful and inclusive. The job wasn't overwhelming and we were able to carry out daily tasks without any trouble. We were not taken advantage of for our free services and it was an overall great experience and a great environment to be a part of.
Amazing staff and management
Media Advisor (Former Employee) –  Shellharbour NSW21 June 2018
The staff and management are absolutely incredible! They help out as much as they can and they are such an amazing bunch of people. Highly recommend this store!
Fun environment and excellent benefits
Telecommunications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Miranda NSW13 May 2018
This is a fun environment to work with, most people get along, hours can be flexible, and you get excellent discounts on a wide range of products in the store.
loved it - sorry i had to moe intersate
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  JBHIFI QLD9 May 2018
Repetitive.

Everyday is different.

Management are helpful,

Great environment to work in.

HR Queries - personal.

Knowing I have done my Job well.
Pros
Loved it so much-Discounts were good
Cons
Money-
Good People to work with but prefer younger crowd
Customer Service Advisor, Permanent Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Casuarina NT8 May 2018
Relatively easy place to work if you know your gadgets & telco plans. They're happy to share their knowledge & practises. Management very approachable & easy to get along with. Staff are mostly young kids but very knowledgeable & easy to get along with. Very difficult for advancement unless your a Top Gun Salesperson & young !
Pros
Staff Discounts
Cons
Unrealistic Budgets for country areas like cities
Nice staff and enjoyable place to work.
Media Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chatswood NSW3 May 2018
Nice colleagues and it's an enjoyable place to work. However, I feel like I'm not advancing my career there. I also work casual and would like more hours.
Pros
Staff discount, wear whatever clothes you want.
Cons
Difficult customers, on your feet all day.
Awesome
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Gravatt QLD30 April 2018
JB Hi-Fi is a fun and fast paced place to work! Keeps you on your toes all the time however, like all places, there are staff members that make things difficult. i found working at garden city was difficult as the staff did not talk to each other in terms of work so there was always a lot of confusion and unhappy customers
Amazing company, with some terrible stores
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Shepparton VIC11 April 2018
JB is an amazing company to work for - there are a lot of opportunities for advancement, great commission and incentives, and a wonderful casual and friendly atmosphere.

Be aware, however, that some stores fly under HR's radar and get away with some things you do not want to be involved with. This specific store has allowed illegal behaviour from staff, including drug possession and drug-taking, theft, and bullying and harassment. Several individuals have left this store due to mental health issues that have stemmed from poorly managed conflict between staff (including managers).

I encourage people to be a part of this awesome company, but not at this store. It's not worth the toxicity.
Pros
Great atmosphere in broader company, great payment scheme, supportive company
Cons
Some stores get away with (figurative) murder
Respect the company
Media Advisor/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cannington WA9 April 2018
I really enjoy working here. All my co workers introduced themselves to me when I started. Everyone greets me when I start work. Everyone has helped me out or given me tips. I got high fived by everyone when I had my first really good sales day. I love every day I work there. The managers are approachable. The thing I respect the most is the honesty. You admit you stuff up and move on.
Great team culture and fun place to work
Communications Sales Person (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 March 2018
Retail can really be a painful job, however JB HiFi is a fun place to work, with great opportunity to make good commission if you work hard. Casual and laid back with no strict formalities.
Excellent career option
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sunshine VIC22 March 2018
JB HIFI provides a comfortable place for you to grow as a person and as a worker. You learn quickly, are given ample opportunity and can build your career quickly and securely. The people and culture are supportive and you are pushed to do your best. The hardest part of the job is ensuring that you keep up with the customers, knowing what they want and ensuring you provide them with the full solution. I thoroughly enjoy this job and it is a great way to enjoy work!
Absolutely awesome work environment
Christmas sales (Former Employee) –  Canberra City ACT19 March 2018
Working as a Christmas casual, in the busiest store in Australia. I loved every second of it. Originally placed in accessories (a little boring) but a chance came around when I was moved into the storeroom. Where I really fell in love with JB.
Fantastic Crew and Work hours
Customer Service and Relations (Current Employee) –  Port Macquarie NSW19 March 2018
Working in software (DVDs CDs and Games) is awesome, with great customers, fantastic new products and great managers.
Sales can have its ups and downs but that is like any sales Job.
Pros
Staff Discounts
Great work environment
Storeperson (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 March 2018
Best place I have had emplyment. Fantastic people to work with that are willing to put in the extra effort to make it a fun and inviting place every day.
Favourite retailer
Counter Hand (Former Employee) –  Booragoon WA18 February 2018
I'm so thankful I have had the opportunity to work with my favourite retailer. VIP discounts would entail prices up to 50% off or more on selected items. I worked with a bubbly team and loved helping the Customers that came in store.
Pros
Wear what you want, great pay, bubbly team.
Cons
Couldn't offer me permanent employment.
Enjoyable Working Culture
JB-Hi-Fi Christmas Casual (Media Team) (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW14 February 2018
The entire working environment of JB-Hi-Fi was very welcoming and approachable in the way in which its staff assisted one another in a range of different working conditions and scenarios.
Pros
Enjoyable Working Environment