JB Hi-Fi Employee Reviews

Terrible management
Media Advisor (Former Employee) –  Castle Hill NSW15 March 2019
Absolutely terrible management and literally everyone is a titled as a “manager” and treats casuals inferior. If you are looking for a friendly environment to work in, look somewhere else. The only good thing about working here is the discounts.
Culture between stuff was great
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Ipswich QLD7 March 2019
The culture was very chilled and playful, stuff were always easy to get along with. Management wasn't fantastic. allowed to Take your breaks whenever.
Boring place to work
Part-time Media (Current Employee) –  Cranbourne VIC7 March 2019
Management are very lazy, and they don’t care about the staff.
To have a weekend off, you need to take annual leave, managers hate when you ask to swap shifts with other staff.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
No weekends ever
The staff keep the place running
Sales & Administration (Former Employee) –  Queensland9 February 2019
I loved working for JB HiFi, the management were always questionable, the company were always changing procedures that never worked on the floor. But the staff always worked together and were a great team in every store. Thats what made it great.
Enjoyable workplace
Sales (Former Employee) –  Cannington WA4 February 2019
Working at JB HiFi was fun, entertaining and helped me gain experience in customer service and somewhat enjoy it. Very easy going but also quite strict too.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
N/a
Depends on your store/ manager
Sales (Former Employee) –  Perth WA4 February 2019
I worked in 2 different stores when I was with JB. Both had their perks but overall they're not what I would consider a career brand.
Make your cash and move on. There's little flexibility when it comes to hours (as with most retail). You're there when they need you and that's it. Negative reenforcement is a standard tactic and a common motivator among management which was nice facing up to for 4 years. enjoy.
Pros
Pays well for average work
Cons
Cut-throat and ignorant management at the top-end.
Effective and efficient
Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Mango Hill QLD4 February 2019
The job was new to me but i enjoyed a lot of it including the learning curve but there was alot of guidance and support from everyone and it was an enjoyable work place
good 1st job for experience
Storeman (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD28 January 2019
Enjoyed the job for 1st job while at high school working casually, had the opportunity to learn how stock control was managed and use of the forklift wave machine for loading stock..
Horrible Management is all i have to say
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 January 2019
When i got hired, didn't even get a tour around. My employee number TDC didn't work. Wouldn't of got paid, if i didn't tell them to fix.

Management is the most horrific experience i ever had. Managers there always leave things half completed. They don't promise what they say they will do. They don't even have management qualifications. They got hired there because they've been working there for a long period. One of the managers always bully me. Glad she got fired. I think the JB-HI-FI store that i work is generally the worse JB -HI-FI in my city.

People that train me expect u to know everything on your 3rd shift. One trainer will tell me to do this and then when i do it, i get in trouble by a different trainer saying "you're doing it wrong" like wtf? its not my fault i have 4 trainers teaching me at the same time. No wonder this store is short on staff. Because people quit..for the good
Pros
Developed my Customer Service Skills
Cons
Bad management
Super fun work environment, opportunity to earn big!
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Morayfield QLD9 January 2019
Best work place I have worked in, during my entire employed career thus far.
Staff are super knowledgeable and willing to help out and train.
Always looking to push your abilities.
Pros
Sales team are awesome, always opportunity to earn big
Cons
Management have no care for personal matters, set unrealistic budgets.
Loved every second
Media Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fyshwick ACT19 December 2018
JB is like a giant family! I loved working here. The culture is very chill and friendly but at the same time everyone has wonderful work ethic. My manager was such a close friend and worked so hard. Customers are (usually) friendly and the job has such great perks. I would suggest working at JB for anyone who loves customer services, a tight team and lots of fun!
Pros
Amazing staff discounts, great team, cool environment
Cons
Long hours, always on your feet
Great earning potential
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Midland WA26 November 2018
Continues training provided and incentivised for staff. Never a dull moment, constant action all day, rarely ever left with nothing to do except after periods of big foot traffic i.e Boxing Day sales, Black Friday Sales.
Pros
Great staff discounts
Cons
Long hours, angry customers
Accepting, non discrimitive workplace.
Media Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD6 November 2018
Great place to meet life long friends and like minded people. Put my heart and soul into this company for 4 years.
Management make promises they can't keep and are not willing to help or listen to staff overwhelmed with the workloads.
They have lack of staff in their stores to cut costs but it puts a tole on staffs mental health.
Pros
Great products and non-discrmitive workplace
Cons
lack of staff, customer abuse
really fun
Media advisor (Former Employee) –  carousel29 October 2018
it was really fun working there, good environment, good vibes, everyone is friendly and supportive. tasks include: pricing items, stocking shelves, and customer service.
great company ,powerful culure
Qld /NT Commercial State Manager (Former Employee) –  Queensland14 October 2018
Building relationships across many verticals to add value to solution sales.
Interaction with key warehouse staff and store managers.
Supporting BDM and account mangers to achieve profitable sales across Education,B2B, B2C, Government, Mining, SME,
Pros
People
Cons
Suppliers not having stock in Australia
Fun environment if you luck out and get a quiet store with great workmates
Media advisor/sales (Current Employee) –  Victoria30 August 2018
I was initially employed as a salesperson but got an opportunity to move into media. Some people might think that it is a downgrade (since no commissions) but to me its easy money without the stress of budget and the fear of getting fired because you didn't make it.

The work itself is hard. You clean, you serve, you stock, you delegate - rinse repeat. The pay is minimum wage, and now they've changed the law so that if you get a new contract you no longer get double pay on Sundays.

Management is a hit and miss, depending on what store you get to work in. I've been transferred to four different stores and they have been some AMAZING managers and some.... not so much. I have been bullied in a store and I got a lot of learning experience. Bullying shouldn't happen, we are all adults, but sometimes some people stay childish. Luckily, the bully was fired but only after a year of running around from HR and managers - and I was only bullied because the person was not happy with management and had used me to let off steam.

Obviously, like all companies, JB is out to make money so they're going to have pretty unrealistic goals and push you to meet the department's budget. If you meet them, yay! If not, you're going to be understaffed and even you do hit the goals, they still won't replace the staff that quit so they can continue to profit off of you. If you are a hard-worker, watch out, they won't actually promote you - they'll use you until you get sick. If you want to get promoted, you better make friends with all the higher-ups to get anywhere.

JB has basically 3 different
  more... 'levels'. Store level, Support Office, Insurance & Online. They are actually pretty terrible at communicating with each other. They miscommunicate a lot, especially with customers, which results the employees at store level to get the brunt of the abuse and anger of customers.

I have gone to a lot of interviews to move up, only to be told that they have already somebody in mind (usually a friend??! The JB grape vine... everyone talks) or that I did not have enough "experience". (Apparently 4 years is not enough). They won't promote you in your own store, but rather bring in someone from another store.

Despite all of this; I am still sticking with this company because every other company will be the same and I'm already in too deep, plus the discounts are pretty good.
Pros
great discounts on certain products, great work culture depending on your store, ability to transfer to different stores in other states
Cons
unrealistic goals and budgets, hr don't actually care about you - only about making sure you abide by the rules (if you get bullied, whelp expect nothing to happen to solve it so suck it up)
Fun atmosphere and good work colleagues
Media Advisor (Former Employee) –  Melton VIC4 July 2018
typical day at jb hifi was filled with lots of fun, jokes and great music to get you through your day.
staff and management are amazing, always something to do
Pros
amazing staff, work-life balance
Cons
pay rate
Positive and fun environment, really nice and caring staff
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD3 July 2018
I was only there for work experience a couple years ago, but everyone was really nice, helpful and inclusive. The job wasn't overwhelming and we were able to carry out daily tasks without any trouble. We were not taken advantage of for our free services and it was an overall great experience and a great environment to be a part of.
Amazing staff and management
Media Advisor (Former Employee) –  Shellharbour NSW21 June 2018
The staff and management are absolutely incredible! They help out as much as they can and they are such an amazing bunch of people. Highly recommend this store!
Fun environment and excellent benefits
Telecommunications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Miranda NSW13 May 2018
This is a fun environment to work with, most people get along, hours can be flexible, and you get excellent discounts on a wide range of products in the store.