JB Hi-Fi
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

JB Hi-Fi Employee Reviews

This job is great if you’re studying and want a relaxed and youthful environment. I wouldn’t want to stay here longer than a couple months or years as the job is an endless cycle and you feel you have no purpose in life anymore. It can also be incredibly unprofessional so steer clear if you’re looking for a job with class. Be aware girls, IT IS A MAJOR BOYS CLUB! ..this alone is reason enough not to work here
Pros
Great study job/hours are generally flexible
Cons
Feel a lack of purpose after a few weeks
I was employed for 18 months as a casual, getting at least a shift a week in the media section. In this time there were 3 different management changes and as a result of the most recent one I got no shifts for 5 months and out of the blue got an email notifying me of my job being terminated. Not once was I contacted by the new manager to meet me or given a shift to see how well I did my job. You only get treated decently if you "fit in". I have worked in retail for 20 years and have never come across a worse management team. On top of this the training is very minimal and you just get thrown in the deep end. No one wants to take responsibility of doing the training.
Pros
Get a decent employee discount
Cons
Little to no training. Bad management. Hard work with little recognition
I worked across 2 stores in NSW. First store I was there for roughly a year. It was the best job I'd ever had from management right down to staff. I transferred in an attempt to move up to full time but worked for 2 weeks as a casual and was taken off the roster. Poor management at my second store and staff weren't great. Highly disappointed because I loved my job but obviously store dynamics are very different and when you have entitled people in a position of power it never works out well.
Pros
Good discounts, mostly a friendly work environment, laid back, easy work if you know your products.
Cons
Poor management, no loyalty to workers with actual skill sets relevant to positions.
After a while, the workplace becomes a bit repetitive. If management doesn't personally like you, they will police you harder than other people. The benefits of the staff discounts are amazing however.
It was a decent place to work but a little disorganised in their management which became frustrating over time. Their balance of staff on floor to the back was out of whack to the amount of work that was put on both areas.
Incredible company to work for! Management is great! They are helpful and always work with you so you can improve at your job. The JB team is more like a family!
jb hifi is a cult place once you are in its a good place to start any retail job traing is good management ok teaching of merc and so on is good and staff are ok
A good place to work out. Friendly staff. I enjoyed the work and providing information to customers. I would work there again if there were any positions available
On top of poor communication from the multiple managers, their lack of problem solving skills between workers, if you do something wrong they won't correct it they'll just complain about you to other employees. The company itself has absolutely no care for their employees, its literally all about making a profit. If you're a casual good luck getting any shifts.
JB is a fast paced environment with the main focus on customer service and sales. The people that work in the stores are the reason going to work was easy everyday and the support from team members was excellent.
Very team orientated work place which always creates a fun environment at every shift. Manaages always making sure your doing well and assisting staff where necessary.
One minute all is peachy, then store transfer times comes along and it's Russian roulette. Watched this for many years. The staff is what holds it all together. I think most of us can say if it weren't for the "floor" team (does not include management), the place wouldn't run. I had many good years at JB, then some filled with workplace bullying. Workplace bullying from management is a fairly brought up issue within that company, but as a staff member, no matter how hard you try, you will not be heard. One of my managers made my job so difficult for me it caused and onset of depression which ended with me being fired. Three other people were pushed out of their jobs due to mental health also. If you do suffer mental health issues, don't tell them, it's not worth the grief that follows and you will be treated differently. If you can't go in to work that day cause you don't feel ok, just say you have a headache. Good luck.
JB Hi-Fi foster a positive work environment, but you need to remain aware that their bottom line always comes first. Your loyalty will not keep you hired if they feel they don't need you.
Genuine work environment and managers, need to be extrovert in order to help the customers. Learning the ways of the floor is easy and is an easy process.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Non
Incredible place to work friendly people and supportive management , and great discounts but was laid off because new people did better. No hard feelings though
Jb hifi is a good place to start your working life since it's quite easy to get into but the salary just didn't cut it for me, job security is pretty great if your happy with an average pay.
as far as being a christmas casual, the typical day has you dealing with customers on a regular bases, if your not dealing with customers, your dealing with paperwork / or setting up for the next customers. i was working as a cashier and having to deal with 30 people in line all at once can be challenging. there is alottttt of multitasking, taking calls during a busy time, sending info around and asking questions is intense. greeting customers and making sure your doing the right thing is crucial. one muck up and you anger a customer and delay them (not checking the price tag before confirming the purchase). there is a system in place at JB that's easy to follow and takes care of everything. though it can be extremely difficult to keep up with the intense work, the members at work will always look out for you and support you when you ask. my experience with management was pretty good, there was a looming feeling of doom if you did something wrong because it costs the business but there generally nice people who are professional at what they do. there is alot to enjoy at JB, the back and forth between colleagues preparing customers for you, hoards of people buying interesting items, the variety of customers and regular faces, the challenge of being in a busy environment, the rewarding satisfaction you get when you see a person leave with an item happily. theres alot of stuff involved but if the staff prices don't interest you then just observing the people while you work is enough to make you value diversity.
Pros
Staff Discounts, good vibes, awesome colleagues.
Cons
Exhausting, taking your break is on you (you don't get paid during break time)
A normal day at work was very calm, even though the day would get busy later on, the team would manage to be able to work together and get through rough busy hours as a team! Everyone would congratulate each other at the end of a day, warm goodbyes and hellos from everyone!
The workplace culture was amazing everyone felt comfortable with each other. The work place was managed by two men that both acted as if they were your friends not your bosses which made things a lot more easier.
Great company to work form and the staff were every lovely and the customer wore amazing it was such a great experience i would work for then again ..
A typical day at work, in my last position, managing a department, was very fast-paced and demanding. I learned a great deal about customer satisfaction, organizing skills, phone skills and managing a team. The workplace culture was very relaxed and all staff were very friendly. The hardest part of the job would have been the late nights and weekend work, in order to balance social life. The most enjoyable part of the job, was the lifelong friends that were made.
Pros
Great work ethic
  1. Employee Reviews