JB Hi-Fi

JB Hi-Fi Employee Reviews

Australia257 reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Great job for a uni student

Depending on the store, the culture can be great or toxic. Management shouldn’t have favourites but be supportive of everyone and have your back. Have a manager that is fair and understanding.

Pros

Good commission

Cons

Favourites from management

Real great place to work with some hard expectations

Overall really fun place to work at ! Youll meet so many inclusive and diverse personalities in your journey here and create friends for life. Pay is alright, some roles definitely deserve more pay and recognition for the expected work that is needed to be performed. Commission structure is real generous and works well. KPIs are definitely able to be achieved. JB is built on the salespeople and their personalities who create their own business. The training techniques encouraged can be different from every person and if theres drive can be successful.Management overall are really great. There has been news of some stores that have a “boys club” culture and there definitely still are however they are and will be rooted out. Management teams definitely are there to look after you and do their best by it. Area Managers can be good, but there can never be an excuse on why you cant get a customer over the line for a KPI which feels disheartening considering they were once store workers.

Stressful and full of lies

I was never properly trained during my time there, never considered my previous experience in other roles they only gave me salesperson because they were extremely short staffed and even though I practically begged for a merch or storeroom role because it was better suited for me they never considered it because once you're a salesperson (even though you never wanted it) you'll never get out of it, they will continue to make promises about how you'll get full-time and how "things will definitely change" they never do.

Great place to work! Great atmosphere!

Jb is a great place to work with great commission if you work in sales and awesome discounts on all products. I dont have any faults im just trying to fill the word count.

Toxic and manipulative workplace

My first year or so at this company was positive. The discounts were incredibly generous and helpful, commission was provided for sales and the uniform is relaxed.As I progressed, numerous full timers around me who had been there for years started leaving. "Sales coaching" every week was just a beration of your work, good or bad. With up to 9 KPI's and goals to achieve, pressure was applied. As a casual, work was never guaranteed and the hours changed from 35+ a week to maybe 4 if you were lucky. As I progressed, I discovered that a personal life (sports, partner, family) was not able to be had and I was constantly abused, called selfish and shunned by my managers. It seemed nothing was able to be done correctly in the eyes of the managers. When I informed them I had a surgery and a holiday booked months prior, all my shifts were cut for 3 weeks. Pathetic really.In addition to this, management treated you as expendable and nothing but a money making machine with no emotions. All it was it profit profit profit, nothing else. A constantly lying, abusive and toxic workplace that should be avoided.

Toxic workplace culture where profit overrides everything

Use to be a great company to work for now filled with culture problems and poor morale in almost every store. Staff are over worked and given little to no communications or training to help their roles. Management utterly useless and only do anything when they have something at stake, most are apathetic and do as little as possible since all the higher management roles are given through nepotism rather than merit. Certain departments such as Hifi get paid way too much for their sales and other department way to little i.e portables..small appliances. Staff are generally intimidated into keeping quiet for fear of their jobs and many call in sick on a daily level due to not wanting to come into work. You are seen as a replaceable tool to make money for them and if you don't like it or fit in then there is plenty of replacements to come after.. or so they thought.. since these days they appear to be having a mass staff exodus and even management roles are not being filled quickly.

It was good

It was good and I loved working here. I had minimum training and it was only busy during Christmas season. I learned how to use the machines and loved talking to the staff members

Great Workplace - Sales Person

JB HI-FI is a retail store that provides a variety of tech products to the customersmy tasks within the workplace as a salesperson;• Met the assigned budget sales revenue per week• Quickly adapted to a fast-paced, multi-faceted environment• Rapidly learnt a broad range of tech products & demonstrated features/benefits to sell• Required to multi-task to efficiently keep up with the customer demand in a post covid and Christmas rush period• Answering Phone calls• StocktakeManagement is really good, they have weekly meetings to discuss what you need to work on and what you are doing good at.workplace culture is amazing! Everyone is nice and works well together. The con is, not enough hours for casual workers

Great place

Don't think twice, they rock great times, got great results, had to move on due to personal reasons, would work at JBs again in a heartbeat thanks JBs

Competitive Environment but decent support

You are expected to hit certain goals and reach your KPIs but you do receive training through 1 on 1 meetings with your sales manager. Overall good for the resume but not if you get stressed easily.

Productive fast paced

Productive and fast paced. Pretty relaxed environment. Staff very knowledgeable, good staff training. Good working hours. I would recommend having some product knowledge prior.

Work Fun Culture

Everyone is really nice and management is very energetic. You'll only like it if you enjoy selling and have a competitive nature. Learn about new products everyday. Good commission, okay base

Really good!

Casual fun and a great place to work! Pay is great, staff discount even better. No uniform and just an overall great place to work!

It was fun and fast paced

Working at JB HiFi was a fun and fast paced experience. It is a very highly energetic workplace that is friendly. As such, I would recommend people be themselves when applying for a job there.

Bad management and corporate

I worked here as a Christmas casual and was not given a shift for two months after Boxing Day. Was told I was almost certain to be kept on as a casual, was not contacted during those two months when I was still on my contract. I went in every few weeks just to check in and let them know that I was available whenever they needed me, was told I’d be called. Never got a call. Not even when my contact was over. Never called me to say that I wasn’t being kept on. I’ve heard other stories like this. It’s a great work environment if your managers like you, if they don’t I’d be very worried and job security

Cons

Bad managers and corperate

Fun

- Clean storeroom there is too much to add here why do i need to add so much- Use data base- Clean room- Very fun environment- Nothing- Making friends

Pros

discounts

Cons

no cons

Toxic environment

Whilst it's good pay when you get regular shifts, the environment is extremely toxic with constant back stabbing and co-workers stealing sales from eachother. It's not a cohesive environment and it's more stressful than what it's worth. I found managers gossiping about co-workers and it's just unprofessional. The budget they give to sales people is sometimes unattainable.

Pros

Good discounts on items.

Cons

Toxic environment

Understaffed and Overworked

Unfortunately we have always been understaffed, even before Covid. Constant pressure from Regional Management and Head Office to perform to reach often unrealistic targets in some of the quieter stores, making us compete with the busier more profitable stores. The pressure makes many staff members miserable and then dealing with the rudeness of some customers just adds to the stress. JB say they care about their staff but it's just a numbers game to them. The positives are you learn a variety of skills in a fast moving customer service environment. In our store we are great team players and we are like a big JB family. Having worked at JB can be beneficial when applying for other jobs.

This place was by far the most fun relaxed but team spirit was wonderful it was a job i looked forward to go to!

I absolutely loved working here i only left due to babing my daughter but I'd go back in an instant. The team are so friendly an so easy to get along with an therefore makes a really productive happy workplace. Managment were fantastic an very understanding. Thank you JB's an any time u need workers I'll drop everything to come back :)

Pros

Understanding management, great team environment, pay rates are also great.

Cons

I felt like there wasnt any moving up in position or a chance at a promotion, that is the only thing i can say that was a bit disappointing, i didnt get as many hours

Good benefits, not so great culture and lacking in organisation.

While I don't believe my experience is in any way universal, I found my time at JB Hi-Fi to be severely disappointing. Great benefits and a lot of awesome people you work with. But there was a constant passive-aggressive culture there, largely over the radio system, that while I never was on the receiving end of, ended up being distracting and morale lowering.My main issue, however, was a lack of proper, comprehensive training for my role. Which often left me with inadequate knowledge to properly do my job. While many were helpful, I asked numerous times for proper training only to never get it. With already shaky casual job security, I believe this lack of training led to me falling out of favour in terms of shifts when the store wasn't in a busy period.

Pros

Great benefits and discounts, free snacks in busy periods, many great co-workers.

Cons

Shaky job security for casuals, lack of practical training, passive-aggressive culture.

Too many favourites

Too many people become favourites and they tend to get the promotions. A lot of younger people too so you got to be careful or you may offend people and we wouldn’t want that

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JB Hi-Fi. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• JB Hi-Fi