JB Hi-Fi

JB Hi-Fi Employee Reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Can be really good

Jbhifi in the right store with the right team can be a really fun rewarding company.It did change over the years with push more towards sales and a switch up of positions. higher ups did have a tendancy to just swap your home store which was quite frustrating, especially if you lived close by to your current store and all of a sudden had to drive half way accross Brisbane.

Pros

Very friendly

Cons

If you're not a top sales person, you're not important.

Great for young adults with studies

Had a great time working with the company and was treated fairly. The hours from day to day were always what I asked and needed and management were really helpful training me. Always ask questions, they will answer and will not bite.

JB Hi-Fi insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager

Good work place, many roles underpaid and staff undervalued

I’ve worked here for close to 15 years. The culture and attitude has improved a lot over the years. Currently I would say the biggest issue is the compensation for just about any role other than sales.I was lucky enough to be earning commission for many years. I would say that the merchandising, operations, and management team are all underpaid. This is more painfully obvious now that the company is turning over profit hand over fist, and not being quiet about it. In the meantime they’re worrying a lot about “culture”, when I think the biggest issue is trying to retain the best staff by offering something above minimum wage. Pay more and that will fix the culture.

Pros

Good team, fun workplace, excellent staff pricing

Cons

Low pay for non commission roles, burnout from the best underpaid under appreciated staff

Fun people,bad workload

Good for meeting new people, management are terrible and give you too much of a workload and expect everything to be done that day. Too much work for too little pay.

Rewarding workplace

The pay is great since there is commission as well, so the better you do and harder you try the more you are compensated. Like with any retail job it can be very boring overtime and some customers can make your experience really bad. It also depends on your managers wether your experience will be great or not, however, for the most part the manager at Jb are very great and support you in any way they can

Would recommend to work here

One of the best jobs. Very fast paced, very good people.Treat the staff like how you should be treated. You will feel less stressed here. Because they will always talk about mental health, if any problems are appearing etc; Good working environment 👏

Pros

Very good staff discounts

Cons

Fun workplace if you have a great team.

Great place to start a sales career and to build important communication skills and sales tactics. Your experience will vary depending on your store or sale manager, some will take time to help you in every way but most will simply be trying to look out for themselves.Most importantly all sales members must meet a daily, weekly and monthly budget that can sometimes be realistic but other times not so much. This all depends on the amount of employees staffed for the day and what the total budget is for the day, week and month. You must as a sales employee meet these budgets no matter what.This brings me to my primary issue with JB from a sales perspective, the commission. Most products have a set base commission price that will get lower the more you discount an item for a customer meaning that it is highly encouraged to add as many items as possible and push people into buying bigger products or specific brands that may or may not suit the individual that you're serving meaning the customer 9 times out of 10 are leaving with a product that they might not have even asked for. In addition to this is means that your co-workers will be stalking customers like vultures trying to squeeze as much commission as they can even if they've hit their budget for the month, leaving others in the dust. Some employees may try to help you reach your budgets and others will simply look out for themselves.JB management will try to lure you in with possibilities of funded trips, sponsors, early movie screenings etc however the likelihood of being part of that is unlikely for the most -

Pros

Great community, Strong sales training, Great place to begin a career

Cons

Too competitive to point of hampering productivity

Environment is very good, we can learn more.

They are very friendly which i liked most. We can learn team work . All the people at work are helping each other which helps to improve the quality of shop. I was unknown about a lot of things but they teach me nicely which help me to learn quickly.

Fun place to work, a great intermediate job

Working at JB was fun, interesting and at time to time challenging. It is a good place to start to gain sales experience, you will be trained and guided through making sales. Management team generally has a high turn over, expect change during your time. When applying make sure to list your availabilities for any-time. Internally the team is flexible, and will be able to accomodate around your schedule. However some sacrifice may be required for example: adjusting uni days from 3 to 2 (Study from home can help).

Pros

Free snacks, Employee discounts, coffee runs, team bonding

Cons

Customer service can be draining, conflicting tasks, during busy periods a lack of staff

Fun coworkers but terrible management

Overall day to day work is alright. Coworkers make it bearable. Only in the last few months have things gotten shockingly bad.Managers push staff hard with no care or support, there is a reason there is a high turnover.If you aren't a salesperson, they couldn't care less about you. No incentive for non-sales, but they'll happily tell you how much more the salespeople earn than you. Media is expected to do all the dirty work.The discount was nice but it feel's like you hardly get paid enough to take advantage of it. Similar work pays better elsewhere.The product is fun to work with though, can make the day more lively.Best suited to casual employees, not wanting to advance.

Pros

Good discount, like-minded coworkers

Cons

Poor management, high targets, unstable rosters, lack of support from higher ups

Nice workplace but definitely has long way to go

Fun challenging place to work at if you are seeking a fast paced retail job. Pay is still better than most retail gigs of the same nature. Company in recent years has taken steps to address internal problems and staff issue which is a welcome sight however they still have a long way to go. From a sales point of view it's definitely getting harder to earn commission as different departments get significantly better pay. For example the TV department earn ridiculous commission compared to others, in one sale they can earn what some staff earn in a week in another less profitable department, and don't even have to work hard for it. This has lead to alot of bitterness within stores due to the inequality despite promises from support office saying we are all treated equally. It certainly doesn't reward hard work or ingenuity when one department earns so much more than others.

Awful and evil place

The company only cares about itself, no one knows what they are doing and have not been trained. Management is completely useless and unprofessional. First chance the company gets it’ll use you and then throw you out like trash. Everyone there backstabs each other constantly and it’s just a down right evil and soul sucking place to work at.

nothing good to mentionDue to overworked employees from 100-hour work weeks and bad work-life balance, they become careless where there are more frequent mistakes, get into legal trouble and have high staff turnover. As a result, JP Morgan's competitive advantage, operational excellence is negatively impacted. Automated jobs could be replaced or assisted by new technologies to help adapt JP Morgan to the global business trend of digitalisation.

Professional and respectful

Hardest part of the job was sales. You learn lots about products. This was a temporary position that involved selling electronics. You were trained before hand before you approach the store floor.

Was great Back in the day, but things are going downhill.

Back in the day we had more personal ownership.The company has taken away ordering and certain department managers which is why the downfall of Music and Movies etc has hit stores hard. Its so sad to see what we built come crumbling down. All the good staff are leaving cause they don't care how much passion we have they just want all stores to look the same.

Pros

staff discount

Cons

you may be expected to work in three departments by yourself.

A GENERALLY laidback sales position, but it has changed over the years

I have been with this company for 3 years, and in that short span, I have enjoyed my time there. Management is generally accommodating (with casuals), the team dynamic is positive and entertaining, and the 'sales' element comes naturally in an environment that is fun to be in.However, over the last few months, there has been a shift more to numbers and individual performance. This includes being HEAVILY encouraged to sell extended warranties, pitching telephone plans (you MUST on every phone sale, even if your customer is hesitant or rude) and other qualifying conversations. For some people, including me, this is not the best way I perform, because there is the expectation from management that these criteria MUST be met in order to sell (they won't let you get the item unless it has been met). I understand this from a business perspective, but it does make working there less enjoyable than usual, which isn't great if this is what people will be doing day in, day out. For a casual like me, this is not a huge issue.In the past, you were merely told that you had to meet these certain goals, but had free reign in how you approach it. I would encourage that JB look into this, as I found that that was a better environment to work in.

fun workplace but minimum wage

working on counter. make sure to communicate and ask questions bc it's easy to make mistakes. training provided but not rly structured so u have to be on top of it and clarify w ur coworkers when youre unsure of things. super friendly work culture. sales seems stressful bc of commissions targets but counter/merch is mostly chill (depends on customer behaviour too tho)

Pros

discounts down to almost cost price. chill coworkers

Cons

pay could be higher

Typical job.

Started out great working there until management had favourites and a little group started to form. if you weren't in that group then you were just cast out. Don't treat people with disabilities very well. Just go to work, do your job, get pair and don't expect much back.

Great job for a uni student

Depending on the store, the culture can be great or toxic. Management shouldn’t have favourites but be supportive of everyone and have your back. Have a manager that is fair and understanding.

Pros

Good commission

Cons

Favourites from management

Real great place to work with some hard expectations

Overall really fun place to work at ! Youll meet so many inclusive and diverse personalities in your journey here and create friends for life. Pay is alright, some roles definitely deserve more pay and recognition for the expected work that is needed to be performed. Commission structure is real generous and works well. KPIs are definitely able to be achieved. JB is built on the salespeople and their personalities who create their own business. The training techniques encouraged can be different from every person and if theres drive can be successful.Management overall are really great. There has been news of some stores that have a “boys club” culture and there definitely still are however they are and will be rooted out. Management teams definitely are there to look after you and do their best by it. Area Managers can be good, but there can never be an excuse on why you cant get a customer over the line for a KPI which feels disheartening considering they were once store workers.

Stressful and full of lies

I was never properly trained during my time there, never considered my previous experience in other roles they only gave me salesperson because they were extremely short staffed and even though I practically begged for a merch or storeroom role because it was better suited for me they never considered it because once you're a salesperson (even though you never wanted it) you'll never get out of it, they will continue to make promises about how you'll get full-time and how "things will definitely change" they never do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JB Hi-Fi. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare JB Hi-Fi with