JB Hi-Fi

JB Hi-Fi Employee Reviews in Melbourne VIC

Melbourne VIC20 reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Nice workplace but definitely has long way to go

Fun challenging place to work at if you are seeking a fast paced retail job. Pay is still better than most retail gigs of the same nature. Company in recent years has taken steps to address internal problems and staff issue which is a welcome sight however they still have a long way to go. From a sales point of view it's definitely getting harder to earn commission as different departments get significantly better pay. For example the TV department earn ridiculous commission compared to others, in one sale they can earn what some staff earn in a week in another less profitable department, and don't even have to work hard for it. This has lead to alot of bitterness within stores due to the inequality despite promises from support office saying we are all treated equally. It certainly doesn't reward hard work or ingenuity when one department earns so much more than others.

A GENERALLY laidback sales position, but it has changed over the years

I have been with this company for 3 years, and in that short span, I have enjoyed my time there. Management is generally accommodating (with casuals), the team dynamic is positive and entertaining, and the 'sales' element comes naturally in an environment that is fun to be in.However, over the last few months, there has been a shift more to numbers and individual performance. This includes being HEAVILY encouraged to sell extended warranties, pitching telephone plans (you MUST on every phone sale, even if your customer is hesitant or rude) and other qualifying conversations. For some people, including me, this is not the best way I perform, because there is the expectation from management that these criteria MUST be met in order to sell (they won't let you get the item unless it has been met). I understand this from a business perspective, but it does make working there less enjoyable than usual, which isn't great if this is what people will be doing day in, day out. For a casual like me, this is not a huge issue.In the past, you were merely told that you had to meet these certain goals, but had free reign in how you approach it. I would encourage that JB look into this, as I found that that was a better environment to work in.

JB Hi-Fi insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager

Productive fast paced

Productive and fast paced. Pretty relaxed environment. Staff very knowledgeable, good staff training. Good working hours. I would recommend having some product knowledge prior.

Understaffed and Overworked

Unfortunately we have always been understaffed, even before Covid. Constant pressure from Regional Management and Head Office to perform to reach often unrealistic targets in some of the quieter stores, making us compete with the busier more profitable stores. The pressure makes many staff members miserable and then dealing with the rudeness of some customers just adds to the stress. JB say they care about their staff but it's just a numbers game to them. The positives are you learn a variety of skills in a fast moving customer service environment. In our store we are great team players and we are like a big JB family. Having worked at JB can be beneficial when applying for other jobs.

Some great people, some decent perks, but it's still retail

In an ever increasing digital marketplace, online sales are driving harder bargains The company believes that commission-based sales account for a lower average rate, but does not account for the fact that staff are getting less or NO commission due to competitive price-matching to other retailers and online stores Customers can be very demanding Upper Management are only focused on dollars and cents, how much the stores are doing and rarely consult with staff on any decisions Staff are considered easily replaceable Sales targets mean that some people can be extremely competitive instead of helping out each other, they can work against one another for their own benefit Progression within the company is not flexible, you typically have to hold a certain position before moving to another, and people can be looked over for promotions simply because another applicant is older or has been in the company longer (without proper assessment of the applicant)

Bad

They have no idea in who to put in charge. Bad management! You are just a number to them. Some good staff. Commission structure really poor. Pointless 15 minute meeting every shift.

fun

is a really good place for work have a great time on this place, i learn many different thing the management is easy going and if you need something just ask

Horrible Management is all i have to say

When i got hired, didn't even get a tour around. My employee number TDC didn't work. Wouldn't of got paid, if i didn't tell them to fix. Management is the most horrific experience i ever had. Managers there always leave things half completed. They don't promise what they say they will do. They don't even have management qualifications. They got hired there because they've been working there for a long period. One of the managers always bully me. Glad she got fired. I think the JB-HI-FI store that i work is generally the worse JB -HI-FI in my city. People that train me expect u to know everything on your 3rd shift. One trainer will tell me to do this and then when i do it, i get in trouble by a different trainer saying "you're doing it wrong" like wtf? its not my fault i have 4 trainers teaching me at the same time. No wonder this store is short on staff. Because people quit..for the good

Pros

Developed my Customer Service Skills

Cons

Bad management

Great team culture and fun place to work

Retail can really be a painful job, however JB HiFi is a fun place to work, with great opportunity to make good commission if you work hard. Casual and laid back with no strict formalities.

Fun

Great job to have if you’re studying and need something cAsual, even better if you share a love for the product and want to workyour way up in the company

Working face to face with customers of diverse backgrounds requires a flexible and informal communicative approach. Fun atmosphere Nice collegues Good Management

Australias Best Retail Industry also has the best work environment

I love working at JBHIFI as i ranked it the best place I have ever worked in my entire life. The salary was great and work working life balance was excellent.

Pros

free accessories, great working hours, Friendly Manager

Cons

Invoicing Issues

Fun place to work

You get to work with like minded people in a decent environment. Pay is decent and the clientele is usually pretty friendly. Staff discounts very worthwhile.

Average

JB Hi-Fi is an average workplace. They are a small firm. the people on the floor are great but they seem to not like change. Only worked there for 3 months

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Small Firm

Fun workplace

As a retail job, it is a great opportunity for someone to learn how to interact with customers and to gain experience at a basic selling capacity. Good stepping stone into higher positions in the future.

Pros

Fun environment

Cons

Poor wages and cuts to commission structure

Fun

Great place to work, average money, management difficult at times. Overall great environment, fantastic people/culture a fun place to work, it is the people that make it. And good management if you are lucky to have it.

Pros

People/culture

Cons

Long hours/Management

Fast paced, but great

Fast paced, but great. Friendly co-workers, and a great employee workflow. Pay is very good, and staff discounts were great.

Pros

Good culture and pay

Cons

Very competitive

fun and enjoyable workplace.

Days generally go quick, staff are great and helpful. Your knowledge just keeps growing at JB HI-FI. The staff discounts are great and i would recommend working for this company to any one and everyone.

Pros

staff discounts and fun vibes.

Cons

re pricing stock.

Fun workplace with the best staff I have worked with in retail

In a typical day at JB HI-FI I would start by ensuring my department was clean and orderly and ready for trade. I would then check the intranet to ensure I am up to date with any changes that may have occurred. I then hit the sales floor in search of sales opportunities and work it until I'm successful and then I'm back to the sales floor to repeat the process all over again. Due to working in Telecommunications there was always something new to learn whether it was technology or pricing focused. The most enjoyable part of working at JB HI-FI was actually the staff that I worked with including the Management who are now some of my best friends. The hardest part of the job was keeping my department working like a well oiled machine due to casual and part time staff not being trained in selling Telstra solutions yet doing so and leaving me to fix any errors, this was very time consuming and sometimes frustrating and took away from time I should have been selling.

Pros

Staff purchases for products meant a substantial saving of the retail price

Cons

Rosters always had issues/conflicts which was frustrating

Fun productive day

Co - workers were always really nice. I never really worked there It was work experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JB Hi-Fi. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare JB Hi-Fi with

Learn about JB Hi-Fi in Melbourne VIC

• JB Hi-Fi
  • Melbourne VIC
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?