JB Hi-Fi

Media Advisor22 reviews
Australia22 reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Can be really good

Jbhifi in the right store with the right team can be a really fun rewarding company.It did change over the years with push more towards sales and a switch up of positions. higher ups did have a tendancy to just swap your home store which was quite frustrating, especially if you lived close by to your current store and all of a sudden had to drive half way accross Brisbane.

Pros

Very friendly

Cons

If you're not a top sales person, you're not important.

Productive fast paced

Productive and fast paced. Pretty relaxed environment. Staff very knowledgeable, good staff training. Good working hours. I would recommend having some product knowledge prior.

JB Hi-Fi insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager

Great place to work at and with great people

Pretty epic place great team members to work with very chill east to fit in pay was great hours were reasonable with lunch breaks and management were very helpful

Pros

Staff discounts

Cons

Karens

Not as fun as you'd think

I was employed for 18 months as a casual, getting at least a shift a week in the media section. In this time there were 3 different management changes and as a result of the most recent one I got no shifts for 5 months and out of the blue got an email notifying me of my job being terminated. Not once was I contacted by the new manager to meet me or given a shift to see how well I did my job. You only get treated decently if you "fit in". I have worked in retail for 20 years and have never come across a worse management team. On top of this the training is very minimal and you just get thrown in the deep end. No one wants to take responsibility of doing the training.

Pros

Get a decent employee discount

Cons

Little to no training. Bad management. Hard work with little recognition

Fun Place to work

A good place to work out. Friendly staff. I enjoyed the work and providing information to customers. I would work there again if there were any positions available

Don't expect mental health understanding

One minute all is peachy, then store transfer times comes along and it's Russian roulette. Watched this for many years. The staff is what holds it all together. I think most of us can say if it weren't for the "floor" team (does not include management), the place wouldn't run. I had many good years at JB, then some filled with workplace bullying. Workplace bullying from management is a fairly brought up issue within that company, but as a staff member, no matter how hard you try, you will not be heard. One of my managers made my job so difficult for me it caused and onset of depression which ended with me being fired. Three other people were pushed out of their jobs due to mental health also. If you do suffer mental health issues, don't tell them, it's not worth the grief that follows and you will be treated differently. If you can't go in to work that day cause you don't feel ok, just say you have a headache. Good luck.

Good

Incredible place to work friendly people and supportive management , and great discounts but was laid off because new people did better. No hard feelings though

Productive, challenging but fun workplace

Fun workplace culture to be in. Each job and task has its ups and downs and its own set of challenges but I've never thought about quitting because of any issues at work, since there have never been any!

fun environment, great people

This was my first ever job, and I could not recommend working with JBHIFI more strongly to anyone. There is a lot of negative stigma surrounding the company but every single person I have met throughout my time with JB have been absolutely lovely and more than willing to accommodate for my busy uni schedule. Pay for casual isn't amazing, but definitely gets better the older you are and the higher up you are in the company.

Terrible management

Absolutely terrible management and literally everyone is a titled as a “manager” and treats casuals inferior. If you are looking for a friendly environment to work in, look somewhere else. The only good thing about working here is the discounts.

Fun atmosphere and good work colleagues

typical day at jb hifi was filled with lots of fun, jokes and great music to get you through your day. staff and management are amazing, always something to do

Pros

amazing staff, work-life balance

Cons

pay rate

Amazing staff and management

The staff and management are absolutely incredible! They help out as much as they can and they are such an amazing bunch of people. Highly recommend this store!

Nice staff and enjoyable place to work.

Nice colleagues and it's an enjoyable place to work. However, I feel like I'm not advancing my career there. I also work casual and would like more hours.

Pros

Staff discount, wear whatever clothes you want.

Cons

Difficult customers, on your feet all day.

Fun

Great job to have if you’re studying and need something cAsual, even better if you share a love for the product and want to workyour way up in the company

Very fun workplace.

Workplace that is made fun by its exceptional staff. The is a freedom of dress, there is no set uniform, only a lanyard. Easy clock in and clock outs.

Best place to work

amazing people, amazing opportunities, generous discount and fun environment. i loved working here and enjoyed the work i undertook. definitely would go back

Pros

staff discount

Fun

Its a good place to works, always fun. There is always something to do on a days work. Everyone is friendly and understanding and always willing to work together as a team

Fun, social workplace, Political Oligarchy

The people at Jb are some of the best friends i would make in life. Unfortunately due to the nature of the job, interacting with stubborn and unsavoury customers, paired with a stern, unwavering management hierarchy, and low pay, it sometimes begs to question if it is worth sticking around.

Pros

Staff discounts

Cons

Hit and Miss with Management.

First job, amazing people, amazing opportunity

JB HIFI has always been a place that i've thought would suit me to work at as I have an alternative style and personality and finding areas where I can fit in is limited for me. Since working there, I've never felt so accepted. I worok in media, so part of my job is suggesting new things for people to watch/listen to, which is so rewarding. The management is fantastic in that they're supportive of you personally and professionally and have sound judgement. I never want to leave

Ok, not great

Colleagues were great, rates were good, but as a casual, hours were minimal. Right next to food court, so lunch and breaks conveniently had food nearby.

Pros

Good location, great rates

Cons

Hours rostered

Productive and fun place to work

I enjoyed my time at JB HI FI, as I worked on counter with a great team. It was a fast paced place which I prefer. We often had difficult customers but with a friendly attitude there was nothing we couldn't handle. I had a great management team and I was very sad to have to leave when my fixed contract was over.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JB Hi-Fi. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare JB Hi-Fi with