JB Hi-Fi

JB Hi-Fi Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Sales Assistant28 reviews
Australia28 reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Fun workplace if you have a great team.

Great place to start a sales career and to build important communication skills and sales tactics. Your experience will vary depending on your store or sale manager, some will take time to help you in every way but most will simply be trying to look out for themselves.Most importantly all sales members must meet a daily, weekly and monthly budget that can sometimes be realistic but other times not so much. This all depends on the amount of employees staffed for the day and what the total budget is for the day, week and month. You must as a sales employee meet these budgets no matter what.This brings me to my primary issue with JB from a sales perspective, the commission. Most products have a set base commission price that will get lower the more you discount an item for a customer meaning that it is highly encouraged to add as many items as possible and push people into buying bigger products or specific brands that may or may not suit the individual that you're serving meaning the customer 9 times out of 10 are leaving with a product that they might not have even asked for. In addition to this is means that your co-workers will be stalking customers like vultures trying to squeeze as much commission as they can even if they've hit their budget for the month, leaving others in the dust. Some employees may try to help you reach your budgets and others will simply look out for themselves.JB management will try to lure you in with possibilities of funded trips, sponsors, early movie screenings etc however the likelihood of being part of that is unlikely for the most -

Pros

Great community, Strong sales training, Great place to begin a career

Cons

Too competitive to point of hampering productivity

Nice workplace but definitely has long way to go

Fun challenging place to work at if you are seeking a fast paced retail job. Pay is still better than most retail gigs of the same nature. Company in recent years has taken steps to address internal problems and staff issue which is a welcome sight however they still have a long way to go. From a sales point of view it's definitely getting harder to earn commission as different departments get significantly better pay. For example the TV department earn ridiculous commission compared to others, in one sale they can earn what some staff earn in a week in another less profitable department, and don't even have to work hard for it. This has lead to alot of bitterness within stores due to the inequality despite promises from support office saying we are all treated equally. It certainly doesn't reward hard work or ingenuity when one department earns so much more than others.

JB Hi-Fi insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager

A GENERALLY laidback sales position, but it has changed over the years

I have been with this company for 3 years, and in that short span, I have enjoyed my time there. Management is generally accommodating (with casuals), the team dynamic is positive and entertaining, and the 'sales' element comes naturally in an environment that is fun to be in.However, over the last few months, there has been a shift more to numbers and individual performance. This includes being HEAVILY encouraged to sell extended warranties, pitching telephone plans (you MUST on every phone sale, even if your customer is hesitant or rude) and other qualifying conversations. For some people, including me, this is not the best way I perform, because there is the expectation from management that these criteria MUST be met in order to sell (they won't let you get the item unless it has been met). I understand this from a business perspective, but it does make working there less enjoyable than usual, which isn't great if this is what people will be doing day in, day out. For a casual like me, this is not a huge issue.In the past, you were merely told that you had to meet these certain goals, but had free reign in how you approach it. I would encourage that JB look into this, as I found that that was a better environment to work in.

Great place to work! Great atmosphere!

Jb is a great place to work with great commission if you work in sales and awesome discounts on all products. I dont have any faults im just trying to fill the word count.

Great place

Don't think twice, they rock great times, got great results, had to move on due to personal reasons, would work at JBs again in a heartbeat thanks JBs

Work Fun Culture

Everyone is really nice and management is very energetic. You'll only like it if you enjoy selling and have a competitive nature. Learn about new products everyday. Good commission, okay base

Toxic environment

Whilst it's good pay when you get regular shifts, the environment is extremely toxic with constant back stabbing and co-workers stealing sales from eachother. It's not a cohesive environment and it's more stressful than what it's worth. I found managers gossiping about co-workers and it's just unprofessional. The budget they give to sales people is sometimes unattainable.

Pros

Good discounts on items.

Cons

Toxic environment

Too many favourites

Too many people become favourites and they tend to get the promotions. A lot of younger people too so you got to be careful or you may offend people and we wouldn’t want that

Yeah it was good

The work environment wasn’t too bad, I absolutely loved my colleagues, they made it all worth it, sometimes you will have some fund and sometimes it’s an ok day

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Bit slow at times

Toxic Workplace - Don't bother if you're a casual!

The main benefit of working here is your coworkers but that's where it ends. Management is terrible, if you're a casual don't expect any kindness or respect - you really are just a number to them that can be easily replaced. It doesn't matter how hard you work, you can expect to go weeks without work and have your shifts cut last minute. There's a lot of gossiping, people bringing in family members as staff (which is a conflict of interest) and people sleeping with each other. Again, management does nothing about this.There's no training and if you do something wrong you can expect everyone to talk about you behind your back.While I was here I thought it was a good job because it was relatively easy and I liked my co-workers. After leaving I can see how much it negatively impacted me.

Pros

Relaxed environment. Nice co-workers

Cons

Toxic management and workplace culture. No training. No job security.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at JB Hi-Fi?

Fun environment for the first couple months

This job is great if you’re studying and want a relaxed and youthful environment. I wouldn’t want to stay here longer than a couple months or years as the job is an endless cycle and you feel you have no purpose in life anymore. It can also be incredibly unprofessional so steer clear if you’re looking for a job with class. Be aware girls, IT IS A MAJOR BOYS CLUB! ..this alone is reason enough not to work here

Pros

Great study job/hours are generally flexible

Cons

Feel a lack of purpose after a few weeks

All about profit

On top of poor communication from the multiple managers, their lack of problem solving skills between workers, if you do something wrong they won't correct it they'll just complain about you to other employees. The company itself has absolutely no care for their employees, its literally all about making a profit. If you're a casual good luck getting any shifts.

Not a bad place to start off your working life

Jb hifi is a good place to start your working life since it's quite easy to get into but the salary just didn't cut it for me, job security is pretty great if your happy with an average pay.

Enjoyable

Excellent people, generally nice customers. With a wide variety of roles and responsibilities I was able to learn new skills. Management was good, coworkers nice.

Productive and fun place to work

I was looked after at JB HiFi and given much help and advice. It was a fun culture. Lots of help was given to ensure we had the right training and many options for learning about new products.

good comms, bad team culture

management very helpfull and kind to their favourite staff. very obvious difference in treatment to staff they dont like as much, personally i was lied to many times about hours up for grabs each week or positions that were available to apply for internally. no hr department if you do experience bullying or harrasement. good commisions but every week during your performance meeting if you do not make bubdget you will be reminded your job is on the line.

Great earning potential

Continues training provided and incentivised for staff. Never a dull moment, constant action all day, rarely ever left with nothing to do except after periods of big foot traffic i.e Boxing Day sales, Black Friday Sales.

Pros

Great staff discounts

Cons

Long hours, angry customers

Excellent career option

JB HIFI provides a comfortable place for you to grow as a person and as a worker. You learn quickly, are given ample opportunity and can build your career quickly and securely. The people and culture are supportive and you are pushed to do your best. The hardest part of the job is ensuring that you keep up with the customers, knowing what they want and ensuring you provide them with the full solution. I thoroughly enjoy this job and it is a great way to enjoy work!

easy going

easy going environment easy going people short hours and not much working, spent most my time re arranging shelves and sweeping floors. staff discounts were good also

Pros

discounts

Cons

boring not much work

Awesome Job

Working at JB is great but cut-throat. If you are successful you'll go far but for casual positions you're the first to go if something bad happens among the company.

Fun workplace to be in, good work environment

JB HI-FI Kedron, is a wonderful work environment that has a number of kind staff and for the short time i worked there the staff and customers always made me feel welcome and appreciated.

Pros

Friendly Staff

Cons

Short work experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JB Hi-Fi. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare JB Hi-Fi with