JB Hi-Fi

Australia270 reviews

Clear
3.9Work–Life Balance
3.7Pay & Benefits

Good work place, many roles underpaid and staff undervalued

I’ve worked here for close to 15 years. The culture and attitude has improved a lot over the years. Currently I would say the biggest issue is the compensation for just about any role other than sales.I was lucky enough to be earning commission for many years. I would say that the merchandising, operations, and management team are all underpaid. This is more painfully obvious now that the company is turning over profit hand over fist, and not being quiet about it. In the meantime they’re worrying a lot about “culture”, when I think the biggest issue is trying to retain the best staff by offering something above minimum wage. Pay more and that will fix the culture.

Pros

Good team, fun workplace, excellent staff pricing

Cons

Low pay for non commission roles, burnout from the best underpaid under appreciated staff

Rewarding workplace

The pay is great since there is commission as well, so the better you do and harder you try the more you are compensated. Like with any retail job it can be very boring overtime and some customers can make your experience really bad. It also depends on your managers wether your experience will be great or not, however, for the most part the manager at Jb are very great and support you in any way they can

JB Hi-Fi insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager

Great Workplace - Sales Person

JB HI-FI is a retail store that provides a variety of tech products to the customersmy tasks within the workplace as a salesperson;• Met the assigned budget sales revenue per week• Quickly adapted to a fast-paced, multi-faceted environment• Rapidly learnt a broad range of tech products & demonstrated features/benefits to sell• Required to multi-task to efficiently keep up with the customer demand in a post covid and Christmas rush period• Answering Phone calls• StocktakeManagement is really good, they have weekly meetings to discuss what you need to work on and what you are doing good at.workplace culture is amazing! Everyone is nice and works well together. The con is, not enough hours for casual workers

Good benefits, not so great culture and lacking in organisation.

While I don't believe my experience is in any way universal, I found my time at JB Hi-Fi to be severely disappointing. Great benefits and a lot of awesome people you work with. But there was a constant passive-aggressive culture there, largely over the radio system, that while I never was on the receiving end of, ended up being distracting and morale lowering.My main issue, however, was a lack of proper, comprehensive training for my role. Which often left me with inadequate knowledge to properly do my job. While many were helpful, I asked numerous times for proper training only to never get it. With already shaky casual job security, I believe this lack of training led to me falling out of favour in terms of shifts when the store wasn't in a busy period.

Pros

Great benefits and discounts, free snacks in busy periods, many great co-workers.

Cons

Shaky job security for casuals, lack of practical training, passive-aggressive culture.

Good place to work as a uni student, as well as a good place to understand sales

JB Hi-Fi, is a good uni student job, where you are able to learn the key skills for sales, teamwork and merchandising correctly. However, this job does become laborious and repetitive during work, as you approach customers, go through the sales process which has been taught during coaching, and then you proceed to use these strategies within sales pitches to customers. However, if you do underperform on a weekly basis, your performance is criticised harshly and they make plans to make you perform better. Overall this is a job, where you as the sales person, have to be able to overcome rejection and objection from customers and management. If you are able to overcome such obstacles this will allow for you to benefit from this job regarding both salary and commission rewards.

Play full place with good vibes

Great bunch of people good environment great atmosphere and always there for the customers jb are There for the people nd there staff would love to return again one day

Pros

2 10min breaks 1/2 lunch break

Great place to work at and with great people

Pretty epic place great team members to work with very chill east to fit in pay was great hours were reasonable with lunch breaks and management were very helpful

Pros

Staff discounts

Cons

Karens

Great benefits, stale workplace

After a while, the workplace becomes a bit repetitive. If management doesn't personally like you, they will police you harder than other people. The benefits of the staff discounts are amazing however.

Not a bad place to start off your working life

Jb hifi is a good place to start your working life since it's quite easy to get into but the salary just didn't cut it for me, job security is pretty great if your happy with an average pay.

Low pay that's unsustainable

They expect you to be an expert at tech stuff and high pressure performance but don't pay you to be that. Always threaten to be managed out if you don't hit a predicted sales target. No pay review for time spent in the company! It's not worth moving up into the company as you will only be working your way into a regular wage.

great workplace

really good workplace management all team members are great and get all along well and really accepting great team benefits and place for advancement

Laughably bad

My years at JB HIFI were among some of the worst of my working life. No leadership. No training. Job culture is fine because the people you're working with are usually pretty solid folk. JB works on an incredibly tedious budget system that essentially means you need to be doing upwards of 10% more sales than last year - the issue being that foot traffic in most store is down 20-30%. So to keep your job you're required to somehow sells thousands of dollars of stock to customers who do not exist. I mustve seen 20-30 people come and go in my time with the company, simply because the company refuses to see that retail as whole, in on the brink of collapse.

Pros

no uniform, good culture in store

Cons

woeful management across the board

Ambiente di lavoro solare

Esperienza ottima per una crescita professionale. MI occupavo di accompagnare il cliente all acquisto di prodotti tecnologici che più facevano al caso.

Pros

Buono stipendio

Cons

Monotonia

Great team culture and fun place to work

Retail can really be a painful job, however JB HiFi is a fun place to work, with great opportunity to make good commission if you work hard. Casual and laid back with no strict formalities.

Fun, friendly atmosphere to work in

I love my job and all the staff at JBHifi. I enjoy going in to work everyday and look forward to it. My job as an admin is very demanding and requires good time management. JB as a company are great to work for.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Not enough hours

Fun place to work, great people

I was only at JB over Christmas, and whilst that was a short period of time the employees were welcoming and hard working. We had a few tough days but that was just from sheer volume of traffic through the store, it was a lot of fun working with them though!

A great place for a balanced life

I loved working at JB Hifi, it was always fun, the people who work there are great, and the benefits are unreal! The only major let down for me was a lack of opportunity to advance or to get further. They tended to bring people in from other stores to fill roles, rather than giving the opportunity to people already within the store.

Australias Best Retail Industry also has the best work environment

I love working at JBHIFI as i ranked it the best place I have ever worked in my entire life. The salary was great and work working life balance was excellent.

Pros

free accessories, great working hours, Friendly Manager

Cons

Invoicing Issues

easy going

easy going environment easy going people short hours and not much working, spent most my time re arranging shelves and sweeping floors. staff discounts were good also

Pros

discounts

Cons

boring not much work

great environment and learning avenue

worked here for almost 5 years now and have learnt so much about the retail industry and sales. I've done counter sales, merchandising and admin work and would highly recommend all of the above. salary is good and perks are great. great culture and environment. Met lifelong friends throughout my years working at JB

Pros

perks! discounts on all items

Cons

long hours, loud atmosphere, stressful at times.

Fun place to work

You get to work with like minded people in a decent environment. Pay is decent and the clientele is usually pretty friendly. Staff discounts very worthwhile.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JB Hi-Fi. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare JB Hi-Fi with