John Holland Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work
Jetty Marine Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA8 October 2018
I can not make a comment
The days never started in a happy way
I leaned how not to be negative about things
Management never involved only complained
no good culture on project
Keeping a positive outlook on the project
going to the project
When i resigned
Pros
Not much
Cons
Unhappy work life
Aweful manager southern region
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Spotswood VIC11 January 2019
Unproffessional team and the leader one of the worst team I never worked in my life

Crews are technically qualified
Management do not understand the future focused approach
Lots of Internal politics
Leader makes decision with voice of team rather than understanding the issue and take professional approach to resolve
Pros
Coffee machine and Surface Pro
Cons
Reactive approach unproffessional dont understand business plan and process
Good Company
Lead Planner (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD3 November 2018
Work place is great but salary was not in the job market level. Also that time not much projects in hand. Job security also not in good positive by that time
Pros
Life Balance Work
Cons
Too low pay
ok
Rail worker (Former Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW15 September 2018
Recommends
Positive Outlook

I have been working at Best Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People that work here are genuinely helpful and friendly
Management are really supportive
People are promoted internally
Really suits people who like a fast pace/ entrepreneurial
Free Lunches that are healthy and high quality,
Fair wages and flexi time available
Promote charity fund raising and volunteering in the local community
The Awards evening is amazing
A good company to work with
Construction Worker - Level 3 & Painter (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 October 2018
A very high risky job installing and painting the barrier fence on the side of the bridge. Health and safety is paramount which the management strictly adhered.The hardest part of the job is when we are working and suspended 180 meters above the ground most of the time.
Pros
High risk job but good money
Cons
working in heights all the time
Good company overall
Fettler (Former Employee) –  New South Wales7 March 2018
Good company overall. They work long hours and work alot of weekends also. The work culture is just work and go home. Not much friendly staff around that want to help, they just want to work and go home.
Great team of people, very safe and clean site
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD29 January 2017
Day started with all management team having the days prestart an hour before the workers were given theirs in order to deliver the same message across all disciplines, then out to site to oversee the days tasks, coordinate labour, plant and materials for the men, attend daily briefings, to deliver days activities and milestones to management team.
Learned some good practises from the daily briefings to carry over to future projects.
Senior management were very professional and had time to listen to issues raised by supervision teams and act in a timely manner to address the issues.
Very good culture driven by management that flowed down to the workforce.
Hardest part of the job was being away from home for 21 days at a time
Most enjoyable part was helping deliver a quality project that was extremely difficult in terms of scale and being a one off, where many awards were given for ingenuity, safety and performance
Pros
good salary
Cons
very long hours
good construction company
Commissioning & Construction Assistant (Former Employee) –  GC desalination project26 April 2018
-a typical day was constructing water treatment equiptment,
good culture
was apart of a great project team. where in the end I remained as a operator of a large scale desalination plant
Pros
good wages
Cons
long distance to job site
good job working on different construction sites
QLD (Former Employee) –  QLD12 August 2018
Foremen and other personal with John Holland ,were great to work with , civil and hi-rise construction work doing different jobs on a daily basis makes the day go quicker.
Pros
regular pay and smoko breaks
Cons
rewarding pay for work performed
Decent working environment
Senior Quantity Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Perth, Australia9 April 2018
Joined at tail end of project so left to deal with the pieces. Everyone I worked with was easy to get along with, friendly enjoyable workplace in new office and city centre location near all public transport hubs.
Pros
Renumeration, work life balance
Cons
communication
Terrific in a booming economy
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA2 May 2017
Terrific learning environment dealing with complex projects with a wide array of stakeholders such as clients and subcontractors. Very detailed and changing reporting requirements caused by change in ownership and management structures. Well developed procedures within aging systems presented rework and consistency challenges. The reduction in work in hand in the later period was significant in W.A. which effected the culture.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Sudden decline in work in hand
High pressure but fun cohesive environment
Senior National Employee Relations Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW20 October 2016
The move from a regional to centralised ER structure was challenging and required management of many stakeholders, often with competing priorities.

However the change in structure was made easier with a very high performing ER team that was supported by senior leaders in the business.

With time, the previous regional HR teams saw the value in the centralised ER model and embraced the support, expertise and service that was offered.
Pros
Excellent work/life balance, strong team culture
Cons
Broad client base that often worked unsociable hours
Great Team Environment
HSE Advisor (Current Employee) –  Perth Central Business District, WA27 November 2014
I work in a great team, that has allowed me to broaden my knowledge in the construction process.
My general day involves supporting the team in OSH related matters and coaching our contractors in on-site OSH requirements and assisting them improve there safety management systems.
The hardest part of my job is aggressive workers, but I use this as an opportunity to turn this into a positive as in most occasions the worker in question does not have a clear understanding of there OSH requirement, hence an opportunity to enhance a positive safety culture.
Pros
Work with dedicated and professional work collogues.
Cons
Long Hours
productive work place ,good crew of knowledgable workers
eletrician (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD2 July 2018
good workcrew , have goals set for work and office back up, days work is set out and goals are met, good work practices , and safety and well being is there most important goal
great company to work for
Formwork Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Esperance WA4 May 2018
days were 10 hour days and were aways busy.the staff were easy to talk to and took on bored any ideas that were bout up. most of the time i was working on twilight bridge then was put in charge of a forklift to move materials around site. then moved to yard to operate a telly handler were i loaded trucks and unloaded on job site. also moved sound walls and poles for contractor
Was a great job
TRADE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Devils Creek WA8 June 2018
Was one of the first gas plants I worked on construction phase Karratha WA devil Creek superintendent the supervisors the scuff Crew Everybody was great to work with good morale boosters in the workplace would work there again if I could
Great experience with learning and development
Civil Estimator (Former Employee) –  Western Australia30 May 2016
John Holland was a great experience with my direct Senior Estimator acting as a fantastic mentor. He was very knowledgeable and had a great work ethic. Management was a bit out of touch with the requirements of the staff though were very approachable. Work life balance was not really balanced with tight time frames and short staffed.

Growth as a Estimator was very valuable to elevate my career.
Pros
Mentorship
Cons
Long Hours with not much release
Nil comment
Alliance Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney20 November 2014
Worked on the Alliance Management Team implementing safety programs and establishing best practice / innovations in safety in the delivery of the program including mentoring management / supervisors and the safety team of 6 subordinates ensuring positive safety results, culture and behavioural change.
The Priority Sewerage Program Alliance $150 million program was established to provide sewer reticulation, transfer, treatment and discharge schemes within un-sewered communities of Sydney which included the design, construction, testing and commissioning of plastic and metallic reticulation and transfer pipe work including new sewerage pumping stations of varying capacity and also upgrading existing sewage treatment plants and pumping stations.
Provided a challanging workplace where learning and acomplishment were pushed.
Site Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD6 January 2014
John Holland gave me a range of working fields and environments in which to learn and grow as an engineer.

I learned skills from, procurement and tender management, programming skills in primavera, general management through to specific additional qualifications like protective coating & welding inspector certificates.

I have enjoyed a great range of co-workers who have all helped me better understand my job and increase my learning in a range of areas.

The hardest part of this job was probably the travelling and often isolated locations but often a point of growth related challenge as well.

I enjoyed working with real professionals who really knew their job and taught me how to do things the right was the first way.
Pros
Good career and personal development
Cons
Somtimes unstable project based work
Overall good company to work for
Dozer/Loader/IT Operator (Former Employee) –  Darwin , Australia8 October 2013
My time at Hollands was spent mainly on a Dozer and Loader .. I have spent many years in both , but being my first civil job I had to learn a lot about the industry and ' termanology' as such .
I enjoyed being home every night , and the roster was fair . The wages and benefits overall were great . I made a lot of friends close to home , and learnt another side of operating . It was a shame the contract came to an end so quickly ..hence my disappointment in the scoring ..

I also found another side of the operating skills of my machines , and always have known you can learn something new all the time .I would love to get back out to this project , and would like to see it closer to the end if possible . If not I think it may be a great opportunity to change careers as such and learn something different
Pros
home every night, great pay, good people, learn new things
Cons
lack of communication .. advancement and training promised