John Holland Employee Reviews

Average Company
Lead SMP Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria11 April 2017
Management had something to be desired, they were very hard to get on with sometimes did not know what they were doing,they always were looking for personell problem areas
Good Job
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD30 March 2017
Townsville Marine Prescient - Relocate of Guard (TSV Port, Townsville) Relocation of Guard Hut and Generator - Commission installations, circuits & Install / Terminate / Test / Inspect Armoured Cables, Barrier Glands and Hazardous Switchboard assembly & termination
Commission of Street Lighting
Interpretation of plans, schematics & drawings
Reconnect and Install of Networks and Communications
Energy Efficient Monitoring (TSV Port, Townsville)
Commission installations, circuits & apparatus Switchboard assembly & termination
Fault finding
Interpretation of plans, schematics & drawings Electrical Meter Readings and Installations.
fishing golf
multi skilled operator (Former Employee) –  Rockhampton QLD8 March 2017
a large experience for my way of completing and enduring a work load of tutoring in each and every task that i was given recommend it to all workers as i was treated equally to all other work partners the culture was over whelming and made me want to inspire all who stood with me to complete my task most enjoyable part of my job was the communication with my supervisors
not a fun place to work
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  new children hospitel6 March 2017
under the pump all the time .
more you do the more there wanted
had to work the hours that there wanted
I would work long hours normal 10 hour a day but some days was much longer you did not know what time you would be finish
Pros
no pro here
Cons
As a summary fo them they are the people tou will like to work with.
Boilermaker/Welder (Former Employee) –  Australia10 February 2017
They are a very good company. Very safe in executing their work. Give good salary. Their management are organized Have avery goo workplace culture. They are very friendly.
Healthy work life balance
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne8 February 2017
Working at John Holland, i have a healthy work life balance.

Being a tier 1 company, JH provides opportunity to grow significantly in less time.
Pros
Fruits, small breaks for walking
Cons
Bonus
Great team of people, very safe and clean site
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD29 January 2017
Day started with all management team having the days prestart an hour before the workers were given theirs in order to deliver the same message across all disciplines, then out to site to oversee the days tasks, coordinate labour, plant and materials for the men, attend daily briefings, to deliver days activities and milestones to management team.
Learned some good practises from the daily briefings to carry over to future projects.
Senior management were very professional and had time to listen to issues raised by supervision teams and act in a timely manner to address the issues.
Very good culture driven by management that flowed down to the workforce.
Hardest part of the job was being away from home for 21 days at a time
Most enjoyable part was helping deliver a quality project that was extremely difficult in terms of scale and being a one off, where many awards were given for ingenuity, safety and performance
Pros
good salary
Cons
very long hours
Great work experience
Formwork Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC18 January 2017
Had good experience with this company it really expanded my knowledge of major projects in construction.
It also helped us experience a variety of different trades
productive and supportive work environment
Operator (Former Employee) –  Moranbah QLD9 November 2016
Dynamic workplace and mining environment. Supportive team of colleagues. Encouraging to expand education and responsibilities.
Pros
Even time rosters. Great for family life
Excellent projects
Rail Systems & Interface Engineer (Current Employee) –  Epping NSW20 October 2016
The most enjoyable part of my current job is the project scope, the team members I work with and the project manager.
The negative points are that the project and company senior management are that the client recognizes and appreciates my efforts and contribution more than the senior management of my project and company.
Pros
Good projects
Cons
Lack of recognition from senior management
High pressure but fun cohesive environment
Senior National Employee Relations Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW20 October 2016
The move from a regional to centralised ER structure was challenging and required management of many stakeholders, often with competing priorities.

However the change in structure was made easier with a very high performing ER team that was supported by senior leaders in the business.

With time, the previous regional HR teams saw the value in the centralised ER model and embraced the support, expertise and service that was offered.
Pros
Excellent work/life balance, strong team culture
Cons
Broad client base that often worked unsociable hours
barge master
Barge master (Current Employee) –  Gladstone QLD25 September 2016
construction of lng loading facility driving piles and doiing test piles
construction of berthing dolphins and placement of fenders running required drills and keeping barge in survey
Very professional work place
Civil Estimator (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD5 September 2016
Big effective teamwork

I learned a lot of project estimation skills

A workplace where you can achieve Diversity of skills

Enjoyable team
Multi culture workplace
Pros
A workplace where you can achieve Diversity of skills
Cons
Management politics
Great experience with learning and development
Civil Estimator (Former Employee) –  Western Australia30 May 2016
John Holland was a great experience with my direct Senior Estimator acting as a fantastic mentor. He was very knowledgeable and had a great work ethic. Management was a bit out of touch with the requirements of the staff though were very approachable. Work life balance was not really balanced with tight time frames and short staffed.

Growth as a Estimator was very valuable to elevate my career.
Pros
Mentorship
Cons
Long Hours with not much release
Can be a challenging place to work. If you like to work than you will fit in.
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Barrow Island WA17 May 2016
Thanks to John Holland Construction, I learned a lot and progressed because I had a very good manager who could see the overall scope of work. He had the knowledge and skills and relayed through his work to me. A very dedicated hard manager.
However, management above him did not have the same work experiences or the knowledge to drive the project. Due to their incompetence, the company was over budget every month. Management seems to provide their fictional monthly figures to CEO rather than the true budget. Top management need to be scrutinise. They should provide CEO worst case scenario budget rather than fantasy best case scenario budgets. Top management seems to be working for self interest rather than Company's interests.
Pros
Get to travel to remote places and see the outback., Meet all types of people
Cons
FIFO - Away from family long period of times., Top management need to be accountable for their actions. A lot of blaming game., A lot of hand balling work.
Good Job
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Port Augusta SA16 May 2016
Great team environment, good company to work for. Learnt more about extreme Work, Health & safety, they were very strict on this. The hardest part of the job was the heat inside the Greenhouses, we were very aware of the safety issues around this. We had a toolbox meeting each morning where all relevant information was discussed.
Exciting,challageing,stressfull,
Superintendent railways (Current Employee) –  Perth WA18 April 2016
In charge of Rail grinding equipment working in extreme environments all over Australia. Work included planing of days work with ARTC traffic controller,catering for all the machine needs like delivery of 20,000ltres of fuel for designated area.daily reports to manager in Melbourne,Toolbox and safety meetings...
Great Company to work for.
Mechanical Fitter (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD15 April 2016
Living arrangement were soucred by the employer and we were transported to our work site. We all worked as a team and carried out our work with pride for the company. Safety was top priority for all the companys work force.Friendship was established. Dealing with the heat of the day. Job satisfaction
Closed December 2015
Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 April 2016
John Holland Aviation Services was a bold attempt to change the Australian aviation maintenance industry. It traded for 8 years and in that time employed up to 400 people. Unfortunately the industry did not want to pay Australian prices for maintenance and JHAS closed in December 2015.
good comapny
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Queensland, Tasmania, nsw1 March 2016
john holland is a good company they redundant us because there no project tendered to the company. they provide accomodation and food they also trained people for free and good benefits and salary
Pros
Free accomodation
Cons
work 6 days a week