John Holland Employee Reviews

Good workplace
BI & Operational Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD14 February 2016
John Holland is a good place to work, with a professional approach to project management.

The skills and work opportunity is above average, with a conducive working environment.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Not people focuesd
Productive and good work place and work crew
Crane Diver/Rigger at Wicet coal terminal (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD1 February 2016
A typical day at work is pre-start, told safety alerts, work task and work groups. Go look at task see what hazard and equipment need for task. Do JSA and Take 5 to identify hazards to pot controls in place before starting work. Get all tools and equipment and permits if needed for start task. Do the task when finished pot all tools and equipment away and rubbish in correct bins. What i learned that go planing and communication helps with good productivity. Could talk to management if you had any ideas. Co-workers would all help each other to get the task done. The hardest part was the sandflies. The most enjoyable part the job see what we built and making new friends.
They look after their workers.
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT IMPEX and Barrow Island Gorgon26 January 2016
Job was quite chaotic due to being so big with so much SIMOPS. I quickly learned that it is important to have conversations with other work crews in advance to prevent surprises in your work area. Good bunch of guys to work with. Management was pretty good. Hardest part of the job was keeping on top of paperwork and managing SIMOPS within company policy and procedures. I was a Health and Safety rep and it gave me a chance to speak directly to management to resolve issues that arose and also convey back to workforce.
Pros
Great money and stable work
Cons
if you upset someone you would be on the first flight out
Lots of courses and certifications
Welder (Former Employee) –  Bassendean WA24 January 2016
Railway track maintenance all aspects. trained in lots of different skills traveled all over the south west of W.A working on different sites
Pros
all accomodation and ppe clothes etc supplied
Cons
overtime long hours
safe,friendly,satisfying
rigger dogman (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, NSW16 January 2016
a typical day woul be
pre start
job allocation
sign on to paperwork than discuss job with team members before starting.
I learned that being safe and workin as a team are extremely important in this industry.
I reaaly enjoyed my time with hollands as it was a local job for me.
Pros
being home each night as it was local
Cons
great job
terrific company with a zero harm outlook
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Ballarat, VIC11 January 2016
each day was planned well
the tolerances of different materials and moisture
management was always available
easy to get along with
1 or 2 bad apples
the friendships made
great paying job working with good personel & management
Project Supervisor - Geoff Skee (Former Employee) –  Barrow Island WA16 November 2015
I was working with all cranes ranging from frannas to 250t pin jibs &all terrain cranes.hardest part of job was definitely in summer when working in heat in excess of 46 degrees
Pros
accomodation & all food payed for
Cons
heat in summer & restricted activities on island
17 years working on the Brookfield Rail Infrastructure Maintenance Project
Manager Engineering Services (Former Employee) –  Project Office at Kewdale.3 November 2015
An excellent, unique partnership that commenced between John Holland and West Rail and survived privatisation followed by separation of above rail operations from the owners of the below rail infrastructure. My position was made redundant in May 2015 following a major reduction in Capital funding for Structures.
Pros
Challenging Project that facilitated continuous change
Cons
The low iron ore price reduced the money available for the Structures Capital Program
Great company to work for, just wish it was on going
HC/MC Jinker- Semi Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Driver, NT29 October 2015
Good company, good supervisors just a shame you cannot progress further in my field, and also have on going work in any field.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Nil
Construction Site office
PA to Project Manager / Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD Australia21 October 2015
Great opportunity to learn about civil construction albeit in a waste water plant.

Great boss, engineers, and onsite workers.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Muddy when wet which was frequently.
I found that some (3 out of 7) of the co-workers are very judgemental against different cultures
Welder/ plant operator/ po level 2/ Truck driver (Current Employee) –  Narrabri, 2390, NSW12 October 2015
It is a alright place to if you keep your personal life to yourself and get on with the job and I know that sometimes things don't go to plan but I feel that our rail depot can do with better organisation
miss managed contracts
Trades Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth, WA18 August 2015
I had a great time on the Wheatstone project, only till the point that it was work no stop I don't care if you are emotionally drained attitude keep working, fantastic pay great hours
Pros
never miss a beat on the payroll
Cons
bad supervision
productive work place with good moral.
Logistics Coordinator & Storeman (Current Employee) –  Barrow island28 June 2015
A typical day of work starts with a Pre Start on todays activities, then working in stores issuing the work crew with tools and equipment PPE they need for the day, followed buy very busy day of unloading and loading containers and getting the material to the appropriate work crew.
Pros
set routinee
Cons
away from family
great company to work for
Operator of RD785B, RD789C, W/Truck (Former Employee) –  middlemount19 June 2015
john holland was a great company to work for with a very attractive wage, however I had to leave in search for job security
Good work balance
Structural Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kings Street Perth27 May 2015
Site supervisor for all structural works on site.
Managing contractors.
Monitoring budget for structure and programming
Daily communication with personnel to rectify problems as they arise.
Managing cranes / self-climbing jump form / 4x self-climbing blade walls / hoists / loading docks / screens around perimeter / structural steel / 20 stories in the air precast and drop zones.
All aspects of safety/ OHS involved.
One of the fastest high-rises built in Perth
OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Roy Hill rail project25 May 2015
John Holland have a good team of employees that all get a long well and get the job done under a good management team.
The project at Roy Hill has been a great job to be on
Pros
Good work atmosphere
Cons
Lack of upcoming projects
good
Labourer (Former Employee) –  perth wa18 May 2015
Main duties of this position required unloading and delivering items to specific rooms within Perth’s Children’s Hospital. This job required me to use my initiative to problem solve whilst also working as a member of a successful team. Whilst working for John Holland I also carried out general labouring duties such as cleaning and maintaining my work area and ensuring all work is carried out within health and safety guidelines.
good to work for.
Boilermaker for Brisbane River (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD6 May 2015
start the day with a prestart meeting. Telling you what was wanted done during the day. I was in charge of equipment and how to complete the job, any problems I found management easy to approach and helpful. Co-workers were very good to work with. Most enjoyable part of the job was driving the boat for access to from the job because I had a boat license.
Great place to work but needs the small things to make it great
Project Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kalgoorlie, WA2 April 2015
Great place to work although some of the benefits could be better. A company of this size should be providing family medical insurance to the people instead of corporate rates (which aren't much cheaper) Management team is good to deal with and pay rates are good
Pros
good pay
Cons
no medical insurance
A good team to work with
General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Urban superway. Adelaide SA10 March 2015
Most of my work was carried out at night due to my experience with cranes and placing super T girders as they could only be placed at night. My day would start several hours before the night shift would start, planning day and night shifts with my daytime foremen, discussions with engineers and confirming plant, equipment and transport for the night shift when we would place the super T`s and complete other works which could only be carried out at night.