John Holland Employee Reviews

Very hard fast paced work place
Plant Operator/steel fixing at (Mitcham)Rail (Former Employee) –  Mitcham, VIC Rail18 June 2014
aways safety first couldnt have asked for a better group of people everything just run like clock work
deffanatly one of the more organized work sites iv being on !!!
Every day was eventful.
Pros
great blokes and great csh
Cons
Traveling from gippsland to mitcham Very tireing after 12hr shift drivin 1and a half hrs home
Excellent Team. Challenging Work.
Diesel Fitter/Operator (Former Employee) –  A.P.L.N.G. Curtis Island. QLD.12 June 2014
Learned a lot about safety/safe working.

Built great team/workmate relationships.

Increased my knowledge of construction.

learnt valuable skills for working in a marine environment..
Pros
Valuable Skills. occasional BBQ.
Cons
14 hrs door to door
Challenging but Rewarding Workplace
Project Engineer - Tender, Planning & Design Works (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD12 June 2014
A very challenging but rewarding workplace.

I was exposed to a variety of large and small scale projects in the piping, mechanical and marine sectors. I have had experience at all stages of the project lifecycle including tender and FEED, through to construction and commissioning.

The most rewarding part of my employment with JHG was the completion of 8 months of shutdown work with zero lost time injuries.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
entertainment fun when there any games
Rigger/Lineman/Erector (Former Employee) –  Pyrmont, NSW3 June 2014
Employees usually can not be forced to work if any bad weather.
As they say, nothing is lost if you follow or do. But if there is bad weather should force No.When you assign your management job you follow the correct prescribed you.Treat your co-workers as workers respect each other's.difficult or No. You love it because you work given.The integration work is a fun for all
Pros
allowance
Cons
long hour and overtime
a good gym swimming pool games room and dry/wet mess
Serviceman / Trade Assist (Former Employee) –  pilbara21 May 2014
a typical day at work in the pilbara for me starts at 4.30 am ready for a 6.am pre start to discuss the days activities and work load. as a serviceman on rail i could cover 600 klm in the day depending on where our guys were positioned,between Newman and pt Hedland,management were fantastic i was never questioned on where i was heading for the day.the work crew,the guys working on track and on the track machines were all great to work with,the hardest part of the job was location,sometimes it was difficult to get to the machine and crews due to the isolation,the most enjoyable part of the job was the people and the landscape. the facilities were also very good, the day would finish at 6.pm.
Pros
the quality of the camp, ie dongers and amenaties
Cons
flies
Loved it
BARGE CREW (Former Employee) –  Hay Point Coal Terminal - ( Mackay )14 May 2014
fuel filling of all dingies and barges, once over on all barge winches , shackles and anchors.. Load barges , secure ropes for towing of piles to tug once undertoe follow tug to point of transfer from tug to main crane to secure pile in gates for the commencement of hammering piles into place.... then the unloading of barge once anchored and secured with tiger ropes around pre-exisisting piles using dingy to run inner ropes... hardest part was just weather depending but the best part was gaining the experience and accomplishing the jobs in areas which others just couldn't do ,
eg) In the pile transfer , once Tug was in place we had to release him to provent any danger of entanglement. By doing this we had a pre wrapped tiger rope at certain length from pre-exisiting pile so all we had to do was unshackle fom tug and attach to pre-rigged tiger rope ... Now tug is free from any danger.. I lower whip line of crane and secure in one of two set ups for the lifting of pile. once I secure first hook up , crane takes weight Not lift just takes weight so we can undo tiger rope.. once tiger rope off dingy driver takes me close to pile so I can jump from front of dinghy onto pile and once im on and dinghy is clear I take crane up so pile nose is about 3 to 4 metres outta water so I can release main valve , once valve is removed I lower crane back to holding point whilst lowering main hoist to position so I can rig main lifting point.. Once main attached I take weight till whip line becomes slack so I can undo.. Once undone I call in dingy driver where I then can jump back off pile onto
  more... front of dingy and when we clear I give whistle or radio signal to crane operator to commence lifting pile into gate where once in and locked depending on if it's last pile they'll start to hammer....  less
Pros
loved it all
Cons
loved it all
Great place to work.
SKILLED. (Former Employee) –  Perth, WA2 May 2014
i have learned a lot from the job,my other work mates and my supervisor.my co workers were great and as i.as we give info we know to each other.there was know hard part of the job as i love to work and meet other co workers.the only hardest part of the job is leaving your co workers and moving on.i really enjoy working with other workers cause you learn more every day and i think that great!
Enjoyed the team Environment and excellent work ethics
Lead Estimator SMP - Energy division (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD9 April 2014
Best period of my work life with lot of fun and very understanding managers, challenging assignment in the deep end,enormous autonomy to provide the best output every time. Good training and learning environment, good team work.
Pros
Recommend any one to join and work in John Holland
Cons
Very ambitious Targets and Tier 1 Systems restricting winning work
Interesting projects to work on
Construction Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Perth, WA8 April 2014
Work area a challange due to nature of work flow from Telstra. You win the contract but the client did not send through the work that was stated in the original contract.
Pros
Traveled throughtout Australia and Hong Kong
Cons
away from home a lot
Overall a good company
Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Perth, WA4 April 2014
Over all a good company. Mainly Construction. Opportunities very limited in Australia at This stage.
beening involved in the industry
crane operator/rigger (Former Employee) –  curtis island29 March 2014
learning something ever day , no matter how much experance you have you can still learn .
Pros
people you get to work with
Cons
some of the new people
Great compnay to work for
Peggy/On-Site Tool Storeman (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD10 March 2014
Co-operative management
Professional
Enthusiastic workplace
Positive work ethic
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
safety first and look after your work mates.
Industrial Painter/ Sand Blaster (Former Employee) –  abbot point(qld) cape Lambert(w.a)28 February 2014
A typical day at work would include a toolbox meeting then carrying out pre operational checks on all machinery go over and check jsa for the area that you are working at sign off on them then proceed to work till knock off.
Pros
working for great company's that look after their workers.
Cons
company's that don't respect the environment and safety.
Very unorganised company
Signaling Supervisor Work Pack (Former Employee) –  Melbourne11 February 2014
Conduct daily Pre start and report to the Project Manager on the daily advancement against the program
Pros
Major Company Profile
Cons
good exposure
Excellent Engineering Contractor
Planner / CADD Designer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC9 February 2014
Excellent Engineering Contractor specially in Underground Tunneling Division
Pros
Great Benefits and Salary Packages
Cons
Flexible Hours
Placed in good Camp
Trades Assistant (Former Employee) –  Osborne Park, WA4 February 2014
Job went as long as I was told at interview
Not an even sread of Experianced Workers
Great team to work with especially when you are with them 24/7 (Camp & Work)
HR ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Cape Lambert, WA29 January 2014
A typical day for me is mobilising personnel to Site, inductions, accommodation and flights. I review the accommodation report daily to ensure we are being charged correctly. Enter timesheets, write weekly reports on the Project as well as flight cost reports, absentee reports etc.

The hardest part of the job is deciding which job is more urgent than the others. Prioritising is the best thing I have learnt here.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the smile on the workers face when I give them their flight itinerary and their appreciation of itineraries being given to them a month in advance.
Pros
Free accommodation/meals & Great work friends
Cons
Long hours & long swings
A safe and easy going place to work with a great team
Storeman I Operator (Current Employee) –  Melbourne Vic10 January 2014
A typical starts with opening the site, tool box for the days duties and site works, log out all tools and vehicles receive and put away deliveries, deliver items to site keep store area clean and tidy at the end of the day check everything back in.
Everyone on site gets on well, with quite a few who socialize outside work hours even with some of the management.
Site management are easy going and there is nothing that is to hard to solve which make`s a happy work environment.
On this job there is nothing really hard and the most enjoyable part of the job is just being here
Provided a challanging workplace where learning and acomplishment were pushed.
Site Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD6 January 2014
John Holland gave me a range of working fields and environments in which to learn and grow as an engineer.

I learned skills from, procurement and tender management, programming skills in primavera, general management through to specific additional qualifications like protective coating & welding inspector certificates.

I have enjoyed a great range of co-workers who have all helped me better understand my job and increase my learning in a range of areas.

The hardest part of this job was probably the travelling and often isolated locations but often a point of growth related challenge as well.

I enjoyed working with real professionals who really knew their job and taught me how to do things the right was the first way.
Pros
Good career and personal development
Cons
Somtimes unstable project based work
Great company to work for
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  John Holland construction site West Perth31 December 2013
Highly autonomous role, with a friendly, outgoing team and creative people. The role was different in that I worked with samples, with architects and designers, unlike my usual roles where I work with mining executives or engineers. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and learned a lot about samples i.e. products that form part of a construction project, the technical data, and created templates for the project manager to keep track and for signage of samples. I produced labels of samples, prepared and presented samples. I realised how much work goes into a huge construction project such as the New Children's Hospital project in Perth. The hardest part was to leave as my contract could not be extended due to funding.