Kmart Employee Reviews

Found 1,168 reviews matching the search See all 18,243 reviews
Great for students. Tests skills in patience, communication and customer service
Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD11 October 2018
Flexible work schedule. Great for students.

Gained plenty of skills such as time management, working in a team customer service, patience and communication skills.

Managers were always friendly and understanding of factors external to work (i.e. health, social life, assessments etc.).

Work culture changed depending on the current staff. Sometimes it was slack and hostile, other times it was friendly and a great team of motivated individuals willing to work hard together.
Pros
Flexible work shifts
Cons
Felt always dirty
Different, enjoyable work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knox City VIC27 November 2018
A typical day at Kmart consists of being on the registers, fitting rooms, self serve machines. I have learnt to deal with a wide range of customers each with different opinions. The workplace culture is great i must admit, everyone gets along with one another and they are all lovely people. The hardest part of the job is constantly getting abused for having the self serve machines as an option to purchase products and for having to direct customers to the service desk for a refund. The most enjoyable part of the job is how easy it is to learn new roles and make friends. The management at my store are quite reliable, organised and flexible which makes getting shifts east
Pros
50% discount on clothing and very flexible working hours
Cons
casual shifts are usually only 3 hours long
Busy Environment
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dandenong VIC18 November 2018
A typical day at work would include a full recovery, returns, and phone calls. Most days it would also include decant and backfill. Management meets my employee's needs such as helping me out or even training me in different areas. The workplace culture is perfect as everyone is helpful and are always working together. The hardest part of the job is dealing with most employees who do not do the required task. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new customers and also having around your employees with you.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Rude employees
Great for the short-term
Casual Team Member (Former Employee) –  Endeavour Hills VIC25 November 2018
The work can be stressful at times, but if you are lucky enough to work with a good team as I was, the burden is substantially eased.
On occasion though, I was expected to work the whole floor by myself when the store I worked at decided to cuts costs by rostering less people on. This made it incredibly stressful to do my tasks, which range from; maintaining floor presentation, customer service (on floor, on 3 phones and price inquiries), and returns from service desk and fitting rooms.

PROS
*Great team
*5% staff discount and 50% discount on work related items.
*There is an opportunity for bonuses if the store does well
*Flexible work/life balance
*Make sure staff a safe at work and up-to-date on any training required

CONS
*Management changed every few months during my time employed.
*Didn't get good penalty rates on Saturdays (at the time of employment). I work with another, smaller retailer as a casual which gave me much better Saturday rates so I did compare the two.
*Can be stressful
*Work is inconsistent as a casual and do not rely on them for regular work as a casual employee
*As with many large retailers, they over hire and drop the casuals hours over time or take them off the roster completely (when of no use to them anymore)
*Little opportunity for advancement as a casual
*I noticed, in my short time, many junior age employees got work where the penalty rates were higher (after 8pm, Sundays, etc), more often.
*Casuals are disposable
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
You are disposable as a casual
some of the staff are friendly and lovely to work with
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ferntree Gully VIC8 October 2018
A typical days work at Kmart is not what I expected work life to be like.
I learned that to be able to get where you want to be you have to work hard and persevere even when things don't look like going your way.
Management at Kmart is not the best in the store that I am located, they're not fair to all staff members as we are not all given equal opportunities.
Pros
5% staff discount
Cons
short shifts
Kmart Retail Assistant review
Customer Service/ Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Broadway NSW23 July 2018
Good hours, and helpful team members. Managers are usually helpful, however this can vary depending on the current managers on duty.

A typical day involves interacting with a lot of customers from a variety of backgrounds, which can be fun.

The most difficult aspect of the job would include dealing with difficult customers.
Pros
Fast paced, diverse team members, helpful managers, certain benefits such bonuses, and free team lunches.
Cons
Occasionally poor management, resulting in putting blame on employer's. Sometimes, poor communication with employers and managers.
Good job, poor management/culture
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD3 November 2018
This could have been a really great job, but unfortunately the management in my store at the time created quite a nasty and unstable culture. Scheduling and organisation was also quite poor. However, the pay was fairly good for a first job and the hours were very manageable.
Pros
Manageable hours, fair pay
Cons
Poor management
A new day teaching lots of experience
Cleaner (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Armidale NSW30 July 2018
My day at work starts with great enthusiasm. Each day of work teach me lots of new experiences .Management team is highly supportive to the staff members,but at present i am working as a casual therefore the working hours are very less.Due to less working hours and salary i cannot meet my necessities.The most enjoyable part in my job is making the day with more brighter to the customers.
Pros
Cooperative Staffs
Cons
less working hours
Great place to work!
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA13 August 2018
My typical day at work would include assisting customers to the best of my ability in order for them to have a positive experience and feel good about shopping at Kmart.
I have learnt how to work as a part of a team and how to deal with all different kinds of customers.
Apart from managers frequently being moved to different stores, management is good.
Workplace culture is great, we are like a family.
Pros
Great team
Cons
inconsistent managers
Good
Home World Manager/Store Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Alice Springs NT14 December 2018
Serve Customers, Stack Shelves, Presentation. Manage overstocks. Enjoyable place to work. Supportive culture. Rosters. Rotating shifts. Working weekends. Working nights.
Pros
good benefits.
Cons
Rotating Shifts
Extremely poor management with no respect for their workers
Team member (Former Employee) –  Aspley QLD22 August 2018
Kmart has been an incredible start to my career. It is unfortunate that as the years passed, management changed, and it became a place you wished you were never apart of, with managers showing no sign of respect for their workers. If you're after 3 hours a week every week, this is the job for you!
Pros
5% discount
Cons
No hours, no job advancements, poor management
Kmart is the go to employer for a step into the workforce
CUSTOMER SERVICE & CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Rockingham WA13 October 2018
Kmart is a great place for those who are brand new to the workforce, as they will give you the needed skills and experience to start you off. It has great work benefits and the work environment is safe and friendly. Although the longer i worked there, the less shifts i got as they had been giving them all to the younger employees. Which is unsettling as the income becomes a problem as i cannot support myself. Kmart is a great place for kids to earn a little pocket money.
Kmart has a very busy environment so employees must be well focused and very efficient. The hardest part of my job was handling the extremely difficult customers, the most enjoyable would be break time.
Pros
Work benefits
Cons
minimum hours
Constant engagement in new tasks makes the job constantly enjoyable
Kmart Customer Service and Wharehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD10 November 2018
a typical day at work often involves arranging stock onto shelves or opening the contents of boxes off pallets and ready to go onto the selling floor. I learned to use iniative and many retail and sales methods. The culture of the workplace and its environment is lacking. The quality of people i worked with were poor. the hardest part about the job is constantly working hard and doing other peopes jobs when there not trying. the most enjoyable part about the job is that there is so many different things to do i rarely get bored.
Pros
generous break times
Cons
short hours
Productive and Fun Workplace
TEAM MEMBER (Current Employee) –  South Adelaide SA19 September 2018
A typical day working at K-Mart is full of productivity, mostly positive customer interactions and wonderful banter with co-workers.
I've learned so many things working at K-Mart. I've developed amazing customer service, which continues to evolve every day.
The management team are simply amazing.
The hardest part of the job is getting up in the morning. Once you're there, time goes fast because you're constantly doing something. There is never a dull moment.
The most enjoyable part of the job, by far, is the environment; the people you work with, customers you deal with, where you are, what you're doing.
Overall, working at K-Mart is a highly enjoyable experience and it's an honour to work there.
Good job for student
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Jandakot WA14 June 2018
Initial training consisted of 1-2 shifts working alongside a more experienced worker. This was not enough. A lot of b*tching and politics made working very tiring and stressful, but a change in management has brought peace to the warehouse. Can easily work around a uni timetable. Breaks aren’t long enough to eat properly. The work is physical but not too hard, and the people are friendly.
Pros
Great people. Union and above award rates. Good work culture.
Cons
No aircon just fans Very hot in summer, Breaks aren’t long enough to eat when you take the time to walk all the way to the break rooms
Great while it lasted
HC Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Driver VIC3 January 2019
Questionable management and their management style.
Work culture not so inviting to new comers and slight cultural discrimination.
Many deadlines to meet but good overtime payment.
It's great.
Casual Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Western Australia16 January 2019
I may not be getting many shifts, but management is understanding, and I understand that there are many workers and they're only trying to make it fair.

It's a lovely place to work, and I've lasted for about a year and still currently employed with them. It's a lovely environment and it's worth putting an application in!

The managers will definitely look after you, and if you have any problems you need to let them know, otherwise, they won't be able to help you, they are very professional as well.
Pros
Working with great people and discounts
Cons
not many shifts
Work place culture in Kmart.
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxenford QLD25 April 2018
The culture at Kmart is amazing though when working on the service desk and dealing with angry customers, we are not supported by management for enforcing the policy they provide us with. The hardest part of the job is having to problem solve and multitask on the spot, especially when you are flat out - though it does provide excellent skills. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers you can have transactions that ruin your day when the customer responds badly (very badly) or they can absolutely make your day.
Pros
Fabulous staff, discount + bonus cards
Cons
management have unrealistic expectations, push for too young incompetent team members to replace you when you become too expensive.
Productive and Opportunistic
Retail (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD15 July 2018
Was good to work for and gave plenty opportunity to update position if wanted. Shifts were easy to cover and work was easy to keep up with. Shifts became exhausted though and management seemed annoyed when rostered on unavailable days and had to cover.
Benefits
Cons
Shift work.
Fun Workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Caboolture QLD4 October 2018
It is an alright place to work. the work itself isnt bad, but the management team there isnt good. they treat you badly and even if you work hard you dont get rewarded

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kmart. Our community is ready to answer.

54.6K