Kmart

Australia204 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 204 reviews matching the searchSee all 20,286 reviews

Lots to do

There was alot of things to do but shifts were too short to get it done and not enough staff on shift to complete tasks which made it stressful. Staff were great though.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Hours too short

not a good work place

people are rude staff are ugly and pay is bad and the work is so bad you are timed with anything you do and have to stand up all day with a very short break

Pros

nothing

Cons

everything

Poorly Managed

Inconsistent shifts, and poor communication from management. Once took over a month to reply to an email. May vary from store to store, look into your stores management before applying.

A good stepping stone

If you are looking for growth this is definitely a stepping stone. Perks and fringe benefits are bare minimum. Make sure you understand the pro rata leave loading thoroughly before you sign your life away.

The boss treated the majority of the young workers unfairly I worked there for over 2 years cleaning. And numerous times I come across young girls/boys crying there eyes out , just about every day I found myself comforting them. in the 2 year period I found a lot of the bosses were always speaking down to the young workers always making them feel unwelcome and unworthy of there position.

Pros

Nice place

Cons

Bad management

Terrible management, Low pay, Not many shifts

Terrible management, Low pay, Not many shifts. Managers harass staff and nothing is done about it even when reported. Favouritism plays a massive role in amount of shifts given to employees

Not great

You won't be given shifts unless you have been working there for a long time. Otherwise you have to call them multiple times a week for shifts, and even then they will tell you the rosters already done and to call them another day. Only had 3 training shifts (despite calling up many times for shifts) and months later was sent an email letting me go as a result for not having a shift in months... ??? Highly understaffed.

Really great place to work

My first ever job, Kmart made me feel included, welcome and boosted my confidence I met and worked some really awsome people. Management always answering questions and happy to answer them it was extremely hard for me to move on to another job because I felt like I was leaving my family because they were so fantastic highly recommend Kmart

Do not see your hard work

Management did not see your hard work, as I was getting older they were giving me less Shifts and kept giving it to the younger people. They focus too much on budgets

Lovely employees

The employees are lovely but some managers are quite tough on you. There's always a job to be done, and they expect you to finish it in the time you have (usually 3 hour shifts)

Great Place for a first job

Kmart is very understanding and provides great salary benefits for a starter job. Within my job, I typically opened Kmart stock and ensured that none was broken. We then got all stock ready so it could be put onto the shelves for customers to buy while maintaining a clean workplace. Kmart has a wide diverse staff and treats everyone equally. My bad experience started when covid-19 occurred, reducing my work days to nothing.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Little to No shifts

Good workplace to start of!

I enjoyed my time working at Kmart. There's always tasks to do and the store gets busy which can be stressful but it's great for those who want to pass the time.The best thing I liked working at Kmart were my co-workers. Most of them were very kind and we get along very well which is what I find when working with a company. My managers we're nice as well. Despite having a distinct hierachy between yourself and your higher-ups, they respect you when you do the work and they do not get mad at little, accidental, unintentional mistakes which is what I appreciate.The only thing I dislike about working at Kmart is working as a customer greeter / door security. The task I did we're uncomfortable especially when customers can get frustrated. The pay is alright for me at the time as I was a casual but for you who's looking into long-term work, the pay might be low for your expectations. Overall, I think Kmart is a great place to work at as an entry-level job who wants to gain some general work experience.

Pros

Friendly and helpful co-workers and managers, organized management (breaks, payroll, etc.), decent pay

Cons

Noticable hierachy, working at door security

Multiple jobs in one shift

You’re expected to do multiple jobs in the same shift eg packing online orders while serving at the service counter. Because they don’t have enough people or enough allowed hours in that area for tasks to be completed.

Excellent workplace

Shifts are a little scarce but I love working for kmart! You have your line manager before your store manager which makes things easier for communication! Overall excellent workplace

not organised enough

the workplace was fine, the training wasn't that good from what i've experienced. The organisation of shifts wasn't that good from working at the back. Lack of communication from the management

Productive workplace but sometimes overwhelming.

Working at Kmart is not a bad job. It is very enjoyable if you have friends there and if work is distributed fairly, but sometimes management isn't very lenient toward how much of a workload they give you.

Made some lifelong friends but will never forget what they put me through

Kmart initially was an amazing place to work at until duty managers started leaving one by one due to higher management, and were replaced. I've made some life long friends but will never ever recommend anyone to work at Kmart, the management were unsupportive, arrogant and petty if I'm being honest, they would only provide maybe 2, 3 hour shifts a week during the day if I was lucky with crazy work loads only because I was "expensive". My safety both physically and mentally were constantly jeopardised while working here and was shown no remorse or support by management not even once, in fact the last time I spoke to them of my concerns my shifts were taken away and my availability changed to permanently unavailable which is wrong on so many levels.

Pros

Made friends, good experience

Cons

Mangement, workloads, shifts

Bad management

Not happy. The management bullied me with her sister. Not much communication with other managers. Boring tasks that were repetitive. 1 shift each week.

Started off great and then went downhill

When I first started here it was awesome, however Kmart invested in improving the ‘efficiency’ of the store by introducing unmeetable standards and terrible work conditions for what was the sequence team. Many lost jobs or was forced to become casual, we had time limits on everything which put immense pressure on everyone, every worker was literally exhausted while most managers sat in their offices. Absolutely detrimental to my mental health.

Productive and nice place to work

Kmart is nice place to work. Team members are supportive and helpful. This is my first job in Australia, so i am happy to start my job as a team member at Kmart. My Manager is very nice .

Productive and fun workplace

Working at Kmart was very enjoyable as a casual staff member. The workplace culture was fun and full of many opportunities to connect with other staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kmart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Kmart with

• Kmart
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?