Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Kmart Employee Reviews

Found 1,556 reviews matching the search
Great for first job however encountered one rude maanager however the rest of the management team were great. Enjoyed the first year and a half but the job itself became too much pressure as store presentation is expected to be done in 3 hours and is close to impossible to do
Pros
Pay and most managers flexible
Cons
Work itself too time-limited
I worked at Kmart Footscray for a year. It is a terrible environment. It is in a basement and sometimes it gets flooded with water from Coles above. The staff toilets frequently become backed up. They will give you the work of three people and management become upset when you fail to compete all tasks. There is always a security guard at the front door as violent customers/shop lifting is an issue. Some managers may be friendly but there are a couple of people that have been there over 30 years. Beware of them. Actually be wary of all of them.70% of their staff are casual so they rely on that to run the store. Your hours will NEVER be consistent, no matter how hard you try. If you're over 20, forget about receiving a Saturday or a Sunday shift (time and a half, double time). They just won't give it to you. Most customers are fine but some are abusive.Overall, don't work for Kmart.
I worked at kmart for 3 years and the first year was amazing and i loved it, but after i finished school i was put on 6 hour service shifts where there’s supposed to be 3 service people but i was doing service for all of the store. I also did cash on the weekends and they would get mad at me if i took longer than an hour to complete the job because they wanted me out the back so they didn’t have to call anyone in due to under staffing. it was terrible and there was no manger help, a lot of them were bullies and so we’re the permanent staff.
Pros
made really good friends
Cons
everything else
You work hard, but its so worth it! Lots of opportunities for advancement (depending on your location), and great managers who genuinely want to see you grow!
Pros
team culture, good management, advancement opportunities
Cons
15 min breaks kinda suck lol
I loved working at Kmart , I made friends with staff and customers. The company was very understanding of my needs due to my disability. I started as a casual and they eventually offered me part-time work which was perfect for my needs. I'm very grateful for the time I spent with Kmart.
I enjoyed my time at Kmart, I learnt a lot, gained many skills, improved my self confidence and met life long friends whilst working here. Management were always very supportive and inclusive of the staff.
I found i had very little to no help when it came to registers. My anxiety was effecting me and as soon as i told management i was treated like i was not welcome there. If i had not had a contract for my hours i wouldn't of got any.Apparently my anxiety was a problem for them and they made it worse right up until I left. Not a good place to work.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Management and permanent staff are bullies
Store was fine to work at when I started a year ago, but management now is incredibly toxic. They gossip about you if they think you’re an easy target and give shifts only to those who are long standing employees or those that are under 15 years old. Really toxic management focused only on protecting themselves
Pros
decent pay for casuals
Cons
everything else
. Best team. excellent cooperation and communication with manager and team leaders- Fun lovers and productive team members.- The job is fast based but it is achievable with the help of other team member.- I learnt how to cooperate with the team and how to work in a very fast based job.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Kmart?
Highly reccommed! A very welcoming community work environment, great training and lots of variety in day to day tasks. They have really caring towards workers and the managers are great.
Pros
Great team and managers, Good training and Experience
management team works together on a dailyno one gets left out team building / exercisesGreat communication skillsmost enjoyable was being about to be surrounded with friendly people
Started here hoping to advance my carer unfortunately i'm lucky to get a shift even after being told countless times how good i am at my job blah blah blah alot of staff are unhappy but put up with it cause they need the job
Was alright but as time went by, I started to notice just how lazy the managers were and how bad they were at communicating with team members. The wages are really good but we only get a 5% employee discount which, obviously, isn't much considering what we put up with every shift. I progressed between areas pretty quickly which was great as I got tired of constantly being in the same area/position so training in different aspects of the business was fun.
Pros
I made close friends, flexible with hours
Cons
Short hours, rude and lazy management
i have a nice experience to work there. People are so co operative and joyful. We do a team work. They appreciate work and dedication, guve proper guidence and advices. Take good care of staff.
Pros
Free milk and chewing gums
Cons
stand up for too long
Worked for three years whilst at school, as soon as I turned 18 started not getting shifts and have not heard from them for over a year thankfully picked up worked at woollies
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Discriminate
I feel as though I was never completely taught how to do my job properly. I Got trained for one shift before being put by myself. Managers were inconsistent and unfair, we would be told off for covering shifts on our own but when calling in sick got roasted for late notice or having no one to fill the spot. I worked there for a year then was completely forgotten about for the next year. I made multiple efforts, calling managers and speaking in person but never heard back. I am no disappointed and upset with the way I was treated as an employee. Would not recommend Kmart Booragoon.
i liked the people although there was low pay and no shifts. i dont have much to say as i didnt enjoy it and there wasnt enough pay to last. itwas about $50 a week.
Pros
ease
Cons
lack of shifts
Loved working there, everyone was friendly got the job done immediately and not too stressful. Perfect hours that were suitable for me. Manger was very good she understood me very well.
its been a long time coming and a fun ride but now looking to move away from kmart in general. fun meeting new and joyeful people but managers are lazy and dont do jobs and expect good workers to finish their own jobs on top of the list of tasks already givin because they need to check emails or answers "important phone calls every 30 mins"
Pros
free food every now and gift cards
Cons
Can go from 5 shifts to 1 in a heartbeat and lazy managers
its an amazing place to work at, the team members are all kind and management always have the employs best interest. I would definitely recommend this to a person wanting to get into a retail job.
Everyone is very friendly and co workers are chill and always helpful. Managers are also great and try to be helpful as much as they can. It is honestly the best environment to work at and is super flexible making balancing life and work easy. Such a great environment that makes it hard to find another job that is just as easygoing and flexible.
Pros
Great environment and stuff, gift cards, flexible hours