Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Kmart Employee Reviews

Australia1,520 reviews
Found 1,520 reviews matching the search
Good with customer service
Was a great first job helped with my confidence around customers. Can get very repetitive and slow until you're trained on more departments. Managers are understanding of your mental health and will give you departments that you feel comfortable on
Pros
Getting out of my comfort zone when helping with customers
Cons
Can become repetitive and slow
good staff, terrible management.
steady roster. managers constantly changing. staff are fun and good hours, not overworked. workplace culture is very bust and managers tend to put a lot of stress on the staff but don't help or manage.
Fun and relaxing workplace
Training is super easy to understand, Team members are incredible to work with! Unfortunately they didn't give me many shifts over the 2019 year so wouldn't recommend a casual position.
It was pleasant
The job itself taught me a handful of necessary skills to take with me for future careers but It also showed me customer service wasn’t my thing but made me respect retail workers more.
Good
Kmart is a respected and respectful company who puts their employees first, they are a fun team to work with with consideration on hours available to work
fast paced ,
customer focused , fast paced can be extremely busy can feel like Christmas trade all year round.
I have learned many skills like cash handling, customer service, phone procedures.

Refunds/exchanges, lay by systems.

Met some of the most wonderful people that will be friends for life
Fast Paced Workplace.
If you are looking for building teamwork skills in a fast paced environment, this is the place. Kmart is great for youth and beginners within the retail sphere.
productive and fun place to work.
overall kmart is a good company to work for,I found kmart management to be very kind and helpful.The most enjoyable part of the job for myself is serving customers and meeting set targets and sales for my companies.
Kmart
I work mostly on the floor with customer service, this includes cleaning and folding tables, helping other staff, helping out customers when needed etc
Friendly and safe working environment
Overall Kmart is a friendly environment to work in and with good staff. The work is not too easy or hard, and the managers and employees around me are honestly so caring and polite.
Give up everything else
Former store manager/department manager.

Shift was a rostered 10.5 hr shift, you got paid for 8hrs.

Unpaid overtime is not only expected but enforced. My minimum hourly day most days was 12hrs with 14-16hr days over christmas. I calculated over a 1 month period I worked an extra 70hrs of unpaid work that was of no benefit to mwhat so ever and added nothing to my life
Please don’t do it to yourself
I’ve worked at Kmart for 4 years and it’s been abysmal the whole time. Customers are always going to be an issue no matter what retail environment you work in but the real kicker at Kmart is management. The managers have their favourites and will be nice to them, but if you aren’t one of them they treat you terribly. Casual team members are not trained enough to be working during the busiest times of the week (4-close on weekdays, weekends, and public holidays) and yet are reprimanded for asking for help by management. They over-hire yet we’re constantly understaffed. Shifts are consistently inconsistent and they ignore availability. I’ve personally had my availability deleted and changed by a manager with out my knowledge. It’s borderline expected that you stay at least 10 minutes past the end of your shift if you’re working in service on the weekend. The communication between management and staff is terrible, especially within the current COVID-19 situation, and store managers are ignoring rules created by higher ups that endanger the health of team members. The only thing you will ever get out of working at Kmart is a renewed sense of independence with having to rely on your own intuition in most situations. The communal aspect of Kmart is only in the bonding you’ll do with coworkers over how much disrespect you get from management.
It’s engaging
I find working at Kmart very entertaining and engaging, it’s a good environment and no one is rude to you and it’s always great to go into work and interact with managers and coworkers
Relatively easy work, limited room for growth and advancement in the industry, not enough shifts handed out, called in last minute most of the time
Work is simple and easy to pick up, good care for employees and work standards easy to adhere to. Not many shifts handed to casual workers, yet the expectations are to be ready to accept every shift when they call us in to work an hour before the shift (sometimes).
great job for my start into the workforce
worked casual after school hours whilst doing my Higher School Certificate.
It was a great place to work as they really looked after their employees .

I was always in my set department which I liked as I got to know the products well which always assisted with customer service.

It was a local job close to home and school so the comradeship was great
Friendly staff
All the staff members all grew together and bonded over all the collaborative work. Managers do regular check-ins ensuring we perform at our best abilities.
fun place to work at
Although I enjoy working at kmart and it was very enjoyable, I don't feel the managers had your best interests in mind at all time and I never had enough shifts and therefore could not afford my living expenses
Good if youre at school and young
Kmart is a good place to work if your a high school student who doesnt have to pay bills. Like me being a uni student who has bills and being casual it was sometimes hard as some weeks you get shifts then the next you get none. Christmas period is best as i got many shifts but after that period you wont get as much. currently havent gotten shifts for 2 week. find managers have favourites and give them shifts but overall not bad as i love meeting new people and gaining friends there. really depends what you want out of the job
Pros
work life and meeting new people
Cons
not enough hours if casual, favouritism
Productive and a fun experience working with other people
Working at Kmart was a really good experience as I was able to collaboratively work with a group of people. During my shifts, I was faced with challenged such as customer complaints and disagreements, an overload of customers and an occasional a messy work environment in peak busy hours. The managers were very friendly and cooperative with employees and they managed to help us whenever we had a problem. Overall, I learned valuable skills such as time management, organisational skills, communication skills, problem solving skills, customer service skills, and conflict resolution skills. Most shifts, I would work at central checkouts or self-checkouts which is very customer based. I had to make sure everything was clean and in order with minimal problems. On many occasions working on self-checkouts, I was required to manage the team at checkouts and ensure that everyone was productive. I mostly enjoyed being able to work with a range of different people that came from different schools and areas.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Irregular working hours
Good staff, okay job
I enjoyed working with young people my own age which made the environment fun to work in. However, the actual work of cleaning the aisles and picking up stock, putting it back on the shelf and repeating for numerous hours was extremely boring.
I found that micromanaging of the team members from managers on floor was common which meant there wasn't a comfortable worker to manager relationship. The actual hours given to casual staff was in no way a liveable wage as casual floor staff will only receive 3 hour shifts unless asked to stay back on the day. (Registers were given 5 hour shifts minimum but you are not able to choose your section during the interview.) I do recommend this job if you are still in high school or have just left, it can be an excellent side casual job for some extra money, but it in no way can be a sustainable full time job.

Constant new employee's were being hired all year around which meant that the current ones wouldn't be getting adequate shifts as the company need to give away ore shifts to more people.

It was an overall good experience and I learnt a lot.
Depends on the management
The managers are on a two year rotation so it can go good to bad real quick. This also means it could start of bad and become good. I also worked at one of the busiest kmarts so I'd assume it is probably more chill not a chermside.