Kmart logo
Kmart
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Kmart Employee Reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 1,575 reviews matching the searchSee all 21,078 reviews

Productive, unfair, have to be reliable

This job is a great first job until you turn 16, because that’s when you usually will get no shifts… the management can be quite unfair and will always have their favourites. For this job you have to be reliable and having good time management is key. This job at times can be stressful and the people you work with may not be the nicest. I love the people my age I work with. But I don’t like the way the managers run in terms of ‘always saying this is a team effort and all this’ but then never lets us talk and communicate to eachother…

Pros

Good amount of shifts, friendly staff

Cons

Unfair workplace

Not a good place to work

You get treated very poorly by managers including store managers, they will never have you back when at work, you get store managers hands in your face as a sign to say shut up and go away. Definitely do not recommend working for Kmart Broadmeadows.

Pros

Nothings

Cons

Lovely people to work with very stressful

Started in 2016 when you use to get 4-6 hr shifts which was once or twice a week I was pretty young at that point just doing checkouts, eventually doing various other jobs in front area. It was always extremely difficult to get consistent days or shifts. Usually 3 hrs for a long time until I proved I was able to come in a lot after a couple of years. The management team usually forgot when I took leave or couldn't work and got extremely annoyed and blamed me for not logging it even after I emailed, called, texted multiple times so they didn't forget. The only way to get consistent shifts was being aged 14 or putting down you could work virtually everyday. I often got texts or lots of calls the day of to come in if someone younger cancelled and I was the last resort which being in uni and doing sport was extremely stressful when I had a schedule. I continued on into my first couple years of uni and the only reason I got lots of shifts was because I worked most days and felt worried I wouldn't have a job or enough money to do things if I didn't show. It got so ridiculous with me being ignored about my hours that some managers would constantly go on about how coming to work was more important than doing work for my degree. I will say they mad it very difficult to say no and made me feel and leaving other staff to deal with the mess of being understaffed or new team member with no one to train them. Towards the end I will say since I worked so much I definitely made some lovely friends and the people outside of the management team were always very caring.Definitely -

Pros

Good way to get confidence up, lovely team members, always busy

Cons

Management do not care at all, 3 hr shifts, no consistency

it was the worst

never will apply at a Kmart again and the management was a joke since they had a 19 year as a manager that acted like a child in front of customers they don't really care about people who steal their products

Pros

some nice team mebers

Cons

bad management and poor pay for me

Disappointing

management lack communication skills between each other and often ended with the team getting in trouble. management lack professionality. Can go for weeks without getting shifts and wont give out proper reasons as to why. will cut shifts when lacking rather then having a conversation and helping team to improve, unless you're part of the younger team, then its okay for you to bare minimum. Mental health isn't cared for and management seem to forget other people can have bad days too. Often days that you put in that you cant work, you will most likely get rostered on for. As a school kid, you could get heaps of shifts and made to feel like you cant deny a shift. As a school aged kid the job would be okay to deal with if you want to make heaps of money and be over worked. Cant trust the management.

Pros

discount and benefits

Cons

pretty much everything else

Horrible place to work for

Shocking place to work for, toxic work environment and they work you into the ground with no acknowledgement or recognition for your work. Don’t get paid well and there is no possibility for progression in the workplace. They do not help you if you have a workplace injury and find ways to make you liable. Management talk poorly about other team members and make fun of people in the LGBTQI+ community. Do not work here

Pros

Cons

Bad pay, toxic work environment, no possibility for progression in the company

I was offered a job but never got a shift

I was offered a job at Kmart booragoon and I put all my required paperwork in. Weeks went by and nothing happened. I went into the store to talk to the manager multiple times and they kept saying that head office was still processing my documents. The mangers kept on saying it would only be another week or two before I could start working. This kept going on for more than 2 months until I gave up and looked for other jobs. It’s been 6 months now and I still haven’t heard anything from them.

Pros

Non

Cons

Still can’t work

Team Based and very Relaxed, in conjunction with a fast paced working environment

Management is outstanding, staff are always willing to help and collaborate, laid back job as well as a fast-paced environment. Customer service was the top priority and is needed that every team member knows where items are within the store, and assistance with products that are sold. As well as these jobs such as taking customer inquiries over the phone, online orders, and returns are some things that are embedded within the job.

Pros

Great Staff & Managment

Cons

Short hours avoiding breaks

Fun & great work culture

Its a great place to work at if you go to school &/or uni. Shifts arent really given generously & there is a bit of favouritism. Work culture is amazing though, you get to meet a lot of great people. Management is very good (at least where i was). Hours given arent really that great unless youre part of one of the main teams (e.g. sequence team or decant team). Overall, a pretty good job but if you want more hours, i recommend you get another job alongside this one.

Pros

Work culture

Cons

short hours

Good place for a first job

Nice people everyone helps everyone it was never slow always had things to do hardest part Is the customer's when they are rude to you and you have to keep your cool and be nice and help them with what they are asking and its good experiences if you want to work in retail stores or clothes stores

Jobs at Kmart

See more jobs

decent first job

worked at kmart for three years, and learned quickly about customer service, time management, and understandings of retail, but before long felt stagnant and repetitive.hardest/most frustrating part of the job was the inconsistent payslips that disappeared and i wasnt able to access it. likewise, used to be able to have breaks after 3hrs, but managers were inconsistent with break times and when. most enjoyable part of the job were the other staff members, always very friendly and helpful.

Pros

50% of clothing worn to work. 5% off everything else

Cons

unfair payslip methods and inconsistent breaks

Relaxed environment

Working at Kmart is for people who don’t really do well under pressure. It’s a slow paced and relaxed environment involving you to complete set tasks by your manager. For example your given a section of the store for the shift to keep presentable, tidy and stocked. You may have difficulty helping customers in the beginning if your not working at your local Kmart store as customers ask where where products are and details.

Pros

Simple job

Fun, relaxing. Not stressful

I worked for 3 years at Kmart as a casual at the register's. I enjoyed every moment. I met some great people with whom we became great friends. I really enjoyed going to work

fun place and non toxic

The work is pretty good. always on your feet and they are very friendly. The only downside is the older you are the fewer the shifts. The pay also isn't that great but the workmates are really friendly and nontoxic.

Pros

break after 3 hours (3.5 and later) is a break, pretty flexible, friendly

Cons

short hours, poor pay

fast paced workplace with bad management

management is absolutely terrible, get underpaid often and shifts get cut when you call In sick once. the only good thing about the workplace is my co-workers.

Pros

easy to get hired

Cons

unstable shifts, get abused a lot

Poor management and care for employees

I have worked Decant at Kmart for almost 2 and a half years now and I don't get shifts. Fellow workers also have to ask for shifts or else we will not work at all. They did not respect that I had gotten a second job (I was only earning about $50 a week, 17/18 years old). Also the discount is poor.

Productive and fun workplace

Got what we needed to get done, helped each other out if someone lagged behind. Manager constantly chatting about how we could improve and grateful for our efforts.

Pros

Good rewards

Cons

Physically demanding

Terrible management, very few hours, HR doesnt do their job

Worst place I've ever worked, horrible managers, HR never does anything about the issues you might have with anything from assult to just bad management, not enough hours because they keep hiring new people instead of giving the people they have enough work, once you turn 18 yrs old you are too expensive and you will be replaced by a 13yr old

Fun place to work but very fast pace

Working at Kmart was fun but very fast pace. Management was great but constantly changing. Staff always supporting and helpful. Work life balance very good.

Pros

Very supportive manager’s and staff

Cons

Only seem to employ casual.

A great working experience

1.5 years experience with KmartDiverse, welcoming and professional team Excellent work life balance for team members-flexible availability is great for university students workingReasonable breaks in work shifts allowing time to rest and rechargePositive work culture where growth is encouraged and dedication is appreciatedGet given great reliable hours every week-shifts always matched my availabilityTeaches you valuable real world skills and helps you gain experience to advance within Kmart or apply to your careerTeam members get 5% discount giving good savingsWill continue working with the Kmart team

Pros

Friendly staff, great work life balance, good breaks, positive work culture, reliable hours, gain practical experience, 5% discount

Cons

N/a

Unfair work place!

Once you hit 21 and they have to pay you more, it's all down hill from there!! They just stop giving you shifts! You do all the right things, go in for them when they call you, get up at 7am on the weekends for them, and then they just throw you away like your garbage!!! Absolutely wouldn't recommend working here!!!

• Kmart