Kmart Management reviews

Found 333 reviews matching the search See all 18,274 reviews
It's great.
Casual Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Western Australia16 January 2019
I may not be getting many shifts, but management is understanding, and I understand that there are many workers and they're only trying to make it fair.

It's a lovely place to work, and I've lasted for about a year and still currently employed with them. It's a lovely environment and it's worth putting an application in!

The managers will definitely look after you, and if you have any problems you need to let them know, otherwise, they won't be able to help you, they are very professional as well.
Pros
Working with great people and discounts
Cons
not many shifts
Easy-going
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Mirrabooka WA8 January 2019
The managers give clear daily goals that are not impossible to reach. Working in such a good, free-minded environment keeps my mood and energy levels high.
Pros
Caring management
Cons
Not enough hours
Great while it lasted
HC Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Driver VIC3 January 2019
Questionable management and their management style.
Work culture not so inviting to new comers and slight cultural discrimination.
Many deadlines to meet but good overtime payment.
Fine work environment, shocking management
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC18 December 2018
The work environment and people colleagues were more than fine. There was a break room and automated clock on systems. The management, particularly at the branch that I worked at did not have a great attitude, and would not communicate shift information very well.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Bad management
productive and fun workplace
Figtree - Team Member (Former Employee) –  Figtree NSW16 December 2018
Kmart great for a first job as it helped me build on my confidence and customer service. Helping customers is very rewarding any anyone can do it. When being thrown into an experience where you need to talk to people, you must allow yourself to be pushed out of your comfort zone and this helps break down barriers when communicating with people. Kmart really gives you the experience and insight into how to manage and run a business. Every employee is valued and plays an important part in running the store. Business functions are really comprehensive and WH&S is an integral part of doing the job properly. Every employee is able to recognise the business functions and how important they are. Management is shown very well with the managers being very informative and polite. Each employee is treated with respect and equality, demonstrating excellent HR management.

Kmart is a fantastic first job as it helps build the confidence needs to then expand onto new pathways and opportunities.
Pros
tea room, away from customers, lockers for storing bags, short hours, polite staff members and a well structured team
Cons
rude customers however, are expected to be everywhere
Productive and busy working environment
Sales assistant and front-end server (Former Employee) –  Launceston, Tasmania, AU4 December 2018
A typical day at work was consistent with customers, busy ensuring that the place looked presentable and supporting others who needed help. I learnt lots about interpersonal communication skills, time management and money.
straightforward work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Casuarina NT4 December 2018
restocking was my primary duty. From this i learnt organisational skills , management was fine . at the start knowing where everything went. Becoming skilled in terms of knowing where everything went
Pros
straightforward type work
Cons
not enough shifts
Great Opportunity
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacktown, AU2 December 2018
Working at Kmart is an amazing experience and opportunity. Can get a little hectic sometimes and you may not have enough time for what you need to get done.
Pros
really nice management
Cons
horrible customers
Okay customer environment
decant team member/retail assistant (Current Employee) –  Morley, AU30 November 2018
My time at Kmart was fun, employees helped me find a toilet where I took a leak which was really yellow and brown because I hadn't drunk enough water that day.
Fun place to work at I enjoy it
Retail (Current Employee) –  Victoria27 November 2018
Love it.. you learn different things everyday is a new day at Kmart management is very understandable you all sorts of people everyday..after a 8hr shift as a worker we all go shopping to explore our new items that come in
Different, enjoyable work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knox City VIC27 November 2018
A typical day at Kmart consists of being on the registers, fitting rooms, self serve machines. I have learnt to deal with a wide range of customers each with different opinions. The workplace culture is great i must admit, everyone gets along with one another and they are all lovely people. The hardest part of the job is constantly getting abused for having the self serve machines as an option to purchase products and for having to direct customers to the service desk for a refund. The most enjoyable part of the job is how easy it is to learn new roles and make friends. The management at my store are quite reliable, organised and flexible which makes getting shifts east
Pros
50% discount on clothing and very flexible working hours
Cons
casual shifts are usually only 3 hours long
Great for the short-term
Casual Team Member (Former Employee) –  Endeavour Hills VIC25 November 2018
The work can be stressful at times, but if you are lucky enough to work with a good team as I was, the burden is substantially eased.
On occasion though, I was expected to work the whole floor by myself when the store I worked at decided to cuts costs by rostering less people on. This made it incredibly stressful to do my tasks, which range from; maintaining floor presentation, customer service (on floor, on 3 phones and price inquiries), and returns from service desk and fitting rooms.

PROS
*Great team
*5% staff discount and 50% discount on work related items.
*There is an opportunity for bonuses if the store does well
*Flexible work/life balance
*Make sure staff a safe at work and up-to-date on any training required

CONS
*Management changed every few months during my time employed.
*Didn't get good penalty rates on Saturdays (at the time of employment). I work with another, smaller retailer as a casual which gave me much better Saturday rates so I did compare the two.
*Can be stressful
*Work is inconsistent as a casual and do not rely on them for regular work as a casual employee
*As with many large retailers, they over hire and drop the casuals hours over time or take them off the roster completely (when of no use to them anymore)
*Little opportunity for advancement as a casual
*I noticed, in my short time, many junior age employees got work where the penalty rates were higher (after 8pm, Sundays, etc), more often.
*Casuals are disposable
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
You are disposable as a casual
Friendly team, flexible hours
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Logan City QLD22 November 2018
I worked at Kmart as a casual during high school and university. I was trained in multiple departments and it allowed me to develop my communication skills.
Casual Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Innisfail QLD22 November 2018
Good place to work however wanted to move up from apparel but didn't happen. Learned how to talk to customers, where to place appropriate clothing, time management.
Busy Environment
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dandenong VIC18 November 2018
A typical day at work would include a full recovery, returns, and phone calls. Most days it would also include decant and backfill. Management meets my employee's needs such as helping me out or even training me in different areas. The workplace culture is perfect as everyone is helpful and are always working together. The hardest part of the job is dealing with most employees who do not do the required task. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new customers and also having around your employees with you.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Rude employees
fun workplace with friendly team members
Casual Employee (Current Employee) –  Dandenong VIC16 November 2018
A really good job for young people in high school, Kmart teaches a lot of skills that are needed for almost every jobs, such as phone skills, customer service, time management.
Work Place
Kmart Retail Employee (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 November 2018
Great workplace, especially for young people who have never been employed. Flexible hours to cater to your availability. Big management team, easy communication.
KMART IS Imploding On Itself
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD9 November 2018
A Typical Day At Work - Arrive to staff who are quick to whinge about the store happenings, other staff, even some managers and their personal business. Then run your bejeeses off to do your own job plus what these staff have not done but should have even when it is not a part of your job description, being very careful not to be seen leaving your position to do the other staff's jobs because you know you will get screamed at right in your face right there no matter who is around, customers etc. You do it for the team, the store, the company, the customers but you also do it because you know you will also get screamed at right in your face if it is not done. Otherwise there is poor to no communication.

What I Learned, the Workplace Culture is - my previous comments plus how to juggle a shocked like interest while not actually participating. Knowing that everyone gets a turn at being bullied Most not all of the Managers play favourites and allow their fav's to do pretty much whatever they like then reward their laziness, lying bullies. There is very poor communication.

The Hardest Part Of The Job is - the workplace culture, the constant anxiety about when you are going to be screamed at, when the filthy gossip is going to be about you. Knowing that nothing you do is going to be noticed, recognised or rewarded. There is no real communication.

The Most Enjoyable Part Of The Job is - own self satisfaction that I've done all I can do, I give 110% each and every shift and for the most part the customers (Even some staff) still being able to have a laugh.

**The managers
  more... are so time poor working in excess of a 50hour week each and every week. Communication is poor to none, it appears across Kmart at all levels. There is something VERY wrong within Kmart.  less
Pros
Mature age employment
Cons
Never being recognised. Management not caring
Good for a casual job, but not something to stay in
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Casula NSW7 November 2018
As a student Kmart has been a great workplace and has provided me with flexibility around my studies. More recently however, management has gone downhill, there is a lack of organisation and a lack of appreciation for the work that is done. Too much is expected of you and not enough is given in return.
Good job, poor management/culture
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD3 November 2018
This could have been a really great job, but unfortunately the management in my store at the time created quite a nasty and unstable culture. Scheduling and organisation was also quite poor. However, the pay was fairly good for a first job and the hours were very manageable.
Pros
Manageable hours, fair pay
Cons
Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kmart. Our community is ready to answer.

54.6K