KU Children's Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

KU Children's Services Employee Reviews

Australia16 reviews
Great ethical place
I'm proud to be part of such a huge and ethical organisation. They are flexible and value their employees, and last but not least, they put children first.
Micromanagement and deceit is at its finest at KU Children Centre
A non supportive and toxic environment to work in. Workload is unmanageable and management expectation is to work outside hours at no pay to "show learning initiative". Deceit runs rampant on all managerial levels. Do not recommend.
There are better early education organisations out there.
Recruitment seems to favour contract roles for their team, don't expect to work through your whole contract.
Very high turnover in certain departments, favoritism in other departments

Career progression is next to impossible in this organization unless you are a friend or family member of manager, the careers manager is the son of the GM of the same department (People Services).

So many issues that do not help with the general credibility of the organization or morale. Most managers are not on the same page, they also do not practice the values of the organization.

Certain members of senior management are wrapped up in their own world protecting themselves and their agendas.
Pros
Head office is close to public transport, good location
Cons
Everything else.. lack of career proression, management in particularly People Services, micromangament, old smelly building, there are much better working environments
Good Company
The company puts a lot of effort into maintaining a high standard of care and looks for educators who strive to provide excellent care to the children and families.
Productive and fun workplace
Working in KU children's services was a fantastic experience for me. I have learned and extended my experience working with the children while i worked in KU children's services. They helped me enhance my knowledge and practice by providing me training opportunities. all the staff members and management was very cooperative and understanding.
Ambiente buono.
come insegnante casual ho potuto trasmettere le mie idee e aggiungere alcuni miglioramenti.
Pros
Buon ambiente di lavoro. Buon lavoro in team.
Cons
Nessuno
I volunteered whilst studying at TAFE
I volunteered at this centre in 2012 whilst I was studying at TAFE. Every Thursday and then Friday morning, I would volunteer for the whole day, and it was a wonderful six months as I learnt my trade and it really grew my passion and love for educating children and confirmed that this was the career path I wanted to pursue.
Pros
Extremely welcoming and supportive staff, families and children
Cons
Was hard to say goodbye at the end of the year
Great company to start career with
Great company, great staff, wonderful families and children. Plenty of chances for advancement. Job security definitely in a preschool environment, with holiday pay included for full time staff.
Offer funding for children with additional needs and support for staff, families and the children that require this.

Concise, clear curriculum that enables easy transition for all involved in their services.
Pros
Shorter hours, not as many LDC centres. Job security high for f/t employees
Cons
Can be difficult to maintain work with company if on contract.
Enjoy working there
I have enjoyed my time there and will be sad to leave but permanent job share position employee, that I did 2 days of, has decided to work full time.
Although this is unfortunate for me I believe it is a positive move for the room as there will be more consistency
Pros
Professional organisation with great staff benefits
Amazing work experience
They were so welcoming, amazing staff and learned a lot about the business life. They were all very helpful and understanding with ny issues. I learnt a lot during my time there
Very fun, friendly, welcoming and diverse atmosphere from day to day.
Arriving at work to prepare, organise and set up the playgroup for our vulnerable families was a fantastic time and way to liase and communicate with other staff members before the families arrived.
The co-workers I worked alongside were all fantastic and had a great passion for helping families and the community.

The challenging part of this particular position was gaining the trust of the families presented to us in order to help them continue successfully as parents.

The most enjoyable part of this job position was meeting families and engaging with them, watching and being a part of their growth as a family.
Pros
Meeting new people, morning tea and coffee with families
Very bad experience
The interview process is very stern. But it is not guaranteed that you will be able to continue your job or not because I personally feel they hire you due to pressure from higher management but you will be shown the door pretty soon after joining. In short recruitment process is an eyewash. You will fall prey to the internal politics and group ism and the director will not listen to you as she has to work with the old staff and the fake charges will be pressed against you and BELIEVE ME NO ONE WILL LISTEN TO YOU.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Work and you will come to know
Enjoyable, rewarding and satisfying job.
KU is very big on continuing to learn and develop for the benefit of staff and children.

The director I had was encouraging and taught me heaps, especially by watching her interactions with the children.

The other people I worked with were committed and generous in their work and also taught me a lot.
Pros
Not for profit company, play based curriculum, guide children's behaviour, high view of children and their rights.
Cons
Becoming more focused on profit, Expecting staff to work more hours for no extra pay, Therefore each child gets less attention and benefit.
Puzzle table with new solar system puzzle.
Its a usual day with 3-5 group.Our director displayed a new solar system puzzle .It looks so interesting but little complicated for preschoolers.

But one child was very interested to complete that puzzle...so me and that child spend atleast 2 hrs to complete.

I support him sitting with him encouraging & giving some ideas to complete the puzzle.

our whole centre encouraged him & appreciated his work ...My director personally praised me for my involvement and patience.
I enjoyed mostly the interaction with the children.
A typical day of routine was not neccesarily what I experienced as I was working in a casual capacity. Going to different KU centres allowed me to adapt to each individual routine quickly and implementing a strong ability to use my initiative and memory skills. I find myself to be friendly and open with staff, children and family's which is especially important as a casual, as seeing a strange face within the centre, you make introductions and allow said people to feel comfortable and at ease.
Pros
Interacting with children
Cons
Although you implement the safe lifting technique's and back stretches, your back still does tend to get sore sometimes
All KU centres have consistantly good quality conditions and management.
I have worked as both a Permenant and casual employee for KU and have always been very satisfied.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at KU Children's Services. Our community is ready to answer.