La Trobe University Employee Reviews

Life working with Latrobe Uni
Full-Time Animal Technician (Current Employee) –  Bundoora VIC16 December 2018
Typical day at work would be health monitoring of all animals first thing in the morning. Ensuring the animals always have enough food, water and enrichment. Moving on to then doing weaning of pups, recording their data, taking ear notch samples or tail samples. Majority of the work was cleaning boxes to maintain high standards of husbandry.

I learnt how to do cervical dislocation, gaseous euthanasia, ear notching, tail sampling, urine and fecal sampling, stocktaking, how to liaise with researchers, setting up breeders according to specific genotypes.

Management were lovely people, however they can be quite frantic and busy so a lot of training gets left behind. This becomes troublesome if you're not trained to do something as they are then required to pull someone else in who can do the job which can put you both behind in work.

The culture was the best. Everyone is super nice and ready to help out with anything that you may require assistance on.

The hardest part of the job would be just waiting to be trained in skills that are required to perform your job to the highest standard possible.

The best part of the job would be working in a team of such incredibly smart people, colleagues or researchers, and learning from their experiences and knowledge that they have to share.
Productive place to work at
Admin - All Rounder Student Services (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, AU28 November 2018
A typical day included attending calls, answering emails and interacting face to face. Particularly dealing with new students, alumni and parents of the students.

Workplace culture is amiable and people help each other a lot. Even the management is good.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Productive and fun workplace culture
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Wodonga VIC26 August 2018
I have working at La Trobe University two years ago I work with co-workers during the day and night. I clean windows, toielts, glasses, vacumming the floor and lots more.
Pros
Free lunch during the event happened
Cons
Long hour
Student Politics
First Nations Students Officer (Former Employee) –  Bundoora VIC20 August 2018
At times difficult to adjust to due to the relaxed nature of the job but it was in an office driven by student politics so as long as you knew what you were doing, you were generally fine.
Rewarding Job with good coffee machine
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 July 2018
A typical day of work is to go around the computer lab explaining/ fixing the code of students. Also explaining difficult concepts on the board to a group of maximum 30 people.

Working as tutor reinforce my knowledge of programming due to different perspectives o the students. I also became more confident in public speaking and time management.

The workplace culture is great. We work in a highly professional matter with some jokes time to time to break the ice.

One of the hardest part of the jobs in marking assignments. Multiple times you see students which struggled and still you can't do much about it.

The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job is s seeing students going from zero to a confident programming level..... and also the coffee:)
Pros
coffee
Cons
long hours at the end of the semester
Fun place to work
Business Intelligence Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC12 June 2018
It was really good to work in Latrobe university while studying. All the other staff members were welcoming and quick issue solver. The project on which I have been working on was pretty interesting and really helped me refreshed my knowledge and other things updated.
Great and inviting workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 April 2018
I really enjoyed my time volunteering at Latrobe, everyone was kind and willing to help me if I was unsure of anything. It was also a great opportunity to meet new people and work in a different environment.
Lugar con buena disposicion para trabajo en equipo
Health and Safety Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia12 April 2018
La empresa tenia una buena reputacion y una buena cultura en trabajo en equipo y el seguimiento de todas las normas de Seguridad Laboral, Higiene y Medio Ambiente.
Habia flexibidad con los horarios de trabajo, con la recreacion para todo el personal dentro del establecimiento
Pros
Flexibilidad laboral
Cons
Distancia
So much fun!
Peer Mentor (6 week program) (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 April 2018
I am a peer mentor for 2018 students, its such a great way to meet more people and make friends. You are able to be provide assistance to others in what you wish was given to you!
PhD experience
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC23 January 2018
I have found the experience excellent, I have been support financially and academically in a manner that has exceeded my expectations. I have found the resources available remarkable.
Workplace culture - La Trobe Business School
Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Bundoora VIC13 January 2018
excessive teaching loads for up to 10 instances (subjects) a year for lecturers and senior lecturers.

Loads of admin work for some as a result of redundancies and restructuring that took place 2 - 3 years ago.

The price you pay is with your research which is not good for lower level academics.

lower pay as compared to other universities.
Pros
New building
Cons
workload
Workplace culture - La Trobe Business School
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Bundoora VIC4 January 2018

lower pay as compared to other universities.
Pros
New building
Cons
workload
Casual staff are treated poorly
Lecturer & tutor (Former Employee) –  Bundoora VIC15 November 2017
Once-great university which has gone downhill in recent years, due to lack of federal funding and numerous job cuts. A number of academic staff hang in there, but are forced to deal with poor administrative support and lack of useful managerial guidance. Casual staff have no job security and are underpaid for the hours they are required to work.
Difficult culture
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Bundoora VIC17 October 2017
The university is generally a positive place to work, but there is a troubling culture of long hours and weak leadership. This is not true of all aspects of the university, but it has been my experience excessive workloads are treated in a cavalier fashion by management staff.
Pros
Great campus
Cons
Senior University Events Officer (Level (Current Employee) –  Bundoora VIC26 September 2017
If you don't want to work in the city, live close to the north and are after a challenging role with lots of variety, La Trobe University is a fantastic place to work. They offer wonderful work life balance for families too.
OK if you are a yes person
Senior Client Systems Officer (Former Employee) –  Bundoora VIC24 September 2017
Like most places has too many corrupt people that will not leave which then get threatened by intelligent people who they then harass. The place needs to stop looking into hiring corporate people as they only get rejects.
Pros
was care free in the early days
Cons
bad management
Friendly and fun atmosphere
Java Tutor (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC27 August 2017
I really love to work at Latrobe University. I enjoy working as tutor and also I completed my Masters at Latrobe university recently. I work as casual tutor at Latrobe university.
Fun to learn and do research
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC23 August 2017
It is pretty relaxed environment to work in. You are given the support and opportunities to carry out research in your proposed field. I learnt a lot of new techniques both at La Trobe and its partner organisations.
Great temp job experience
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  melbourne22 August 2017
Friendly boss, and colleagues, great working env, helpful people and very good hourly rate (for an international student on exchange). Wish it was easier to work there full-time
Pros
people-
wonderful supporting staff
Student Ambassador (casual) (Former Employee) –  Shepparton VIC17 August 2017
My role with La Trobe University is as a Student Ambassador where I promote the University to prospective students on Open Days, School Visits and during workshop activities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at La Trobe University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3