La Trobe University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

La Trobe University Employee Reviews

Australia62 reviews
I really like the team, my managers and how La Trobe is handling this very difficult times.
I wish and hope to get an ongoing role soon.

Like everywhere else there is a lot of politics but it's ok.

I am having a great work experience.
I was an in house security officer at Latrobe when most of us were doing security directly here. It was absolutely great until management outsourced most of our roles.. Previous management was absolutely a pleasure to work for but present isn’t as much with contracted security guards taking over sadly that added to insult to our hard work.
Pros
in house security role
Cons
Outsourced most of us
La Trobe has a toxic culture which is damaging to your mental health.
Senior management over several years has selected managers who are prepared to engage in constant bullying of staff to do extra unpaid work and who repeatedly engage in deceptive practices which trick academics and professional staff to do extra unpaid work. It is a constant, tedious and stressful battle to have to argue with department heads over unfair allocation of teaching and admin work every semester. Staff are demoralised and students are affected in turn by this. Annual internal surveys repeatedly reveal staff and student satisfaction levels are low and declining. Those surveys of staff made publicly available are usually gamed (via selective participants) to portray La Trobe in a favourable light.

While research expectations of academics from management are high, there is decreasing, or in some Schools, non-existent, funding for research and conference travel. Staff turnover is at a high level as people vote with their feet. Nothing will change until the State Government installs a new VC.
Pros
Wildlife sanctuary
Cons
bullying culture
Terrible culture of systemic bullying and discrimination. Executive Leadership are more concerned with managing their own reputation and brand and will therefore undermine, bully and alienate the good leaders who show them up or try to challenge their behaviour into leaving.

There has recently been a high turnover of senior executives and hopefully this will now changed but there are still a couple of the from the previous regime in senior leadership roles......
Pros
It’s a university so has good super
Cons
Toxic culture that is damaging to your personal wellbeing
Volunteering at Latrobe University, Bundoora Campus. It was great experience. I would recommend others to do some volunteering to give back to the community and gain emotional intelligence experience.
As part of my Bachelors degree, I had to complete time in the field to ensure I passed the subjects. I decided to assistant lead an Outdoor Education camp to help build my canoeing skills and work will group of the same age as myself. This helped build resilience and knowledge of how to run programs with group of similar interests as me.
Great place to grow personally and professionally. Fair wages and work-life balance is encouraged. Excellent work environment and great opportunities to polish and develop new abilities.
La Trobe university has great values and work towards high education standards which is the best approach for any university.

I would definitely recommend to a friend.
Poor communication between management and staff. Morale generally low. Some really good people, others insufferable. Work and study generally harder then needed to be.
La Trobe University is conducting a lot of changes in systems, cultures, and the daily work done. Many department re-structures implementing all the changes occurring.

Great staff benefits, with a high super of 17.5%, gym facilities, cafes on campus, and friendly staff.
Excellent work culture and a great work environment. You feel empowered as the management trusts your skills . A bit old school in terms of project methodology and delivery.
Not too bad at all. Good work culture and a great place to work. Employs thousands of staff and culture is laid back. Culture is great with nice people and friendly staff.
enjoyed my time at La Trobe - boss was lovely and the rest of the team very friendly and helpful - it was a typical PA role with calendar management and booking travel
I can't say much about work at LaTrobe, because I was only there for a week to do work experience. While at LaTrobe, I assisted research scientists and learnt about their work.
Supportive environment to develop ideas and collaborate across disciplines, over good coffee and homemade goodies provided at La Moka Cafe. Close to the ski-fields, river sports, bushwalking sites.
I have enjoyed interacting with students and university staff, lecturing in law , and coordinating my subject. I have found colleagues to be very helpful in providing advice including IT support and assistance in accessing teaching tools. Also, the university's physical environment and green credentials are excellent.
- Excessive work load (teaching and admin)
- Abusive culture including intimidating staff.

- Salaries are ok but in the lowest quartile across the country.

- No job security. Increasing schemes to push staff out. Some are allocated high work load, others relatively lower.

- Toxic culture

- unjutified promotions to levels D and E without appropriate qualifications.

- Master graduates teaching master students.

- Dodgy admissions with low standards leading to cases of depression amongst the students
Great conditions, Interesting work on a research project. Well supported And good infrastructure with many opportunities to develop depending upon interests.
Staff are often pressured to work without pay and hopeful students are offered casual recruitments and exploited for very low or $0 pay.
Generally, the teaching staff are great but the marketing and upper executive level staff are highly exploitative and self interested.

Financially unrewarding.
Taught me valuable lessons in social and customer interactions. Leadership roles provided experience in dealing with tricky situations and allowed me to learn and adapt quickly to any role required of me.
Typical day at work would be health monitoring of all animals first thing in the morning. Ensuring the animals always have enough food, water and enrichment. Moving on to then doing weaning of pups, recording their data, taking ear notch samples or tail samples. Majority of the work was cleaning boxes to maintain high standards of husbandry.

I learnt how to do cervical dislocation, gaseous euthanasia, ear notching, tail sampling, urine and fecal sampling, stocktaking, how to liaise with researchers, setting up breeders according to specific genotypes.

Management were lovely people, however they can be quite frantic and busy so a lot of training gets left behind. This becomes troublesome if you're not trained to do something as they are then required to pull someone else in who can do the job which can put you both behind in work.

The culture was the best. Everyone is super nice and ready to help out with anything that you may require assistance on.

The hardest part of the job would be just waiting to be trained in skills that are required to perform your job to the highest standard possible.

The best part of the job would be working in a team of such incredibly smart people, colleagues or researchers, and learning from their experiences and knowledge that they have to share.