La Trobe University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

La Trobe University Employee Reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Fair place to work and study

Poor communication between management and staff. Morale generally low. Some really good people, others insufferable. Work and study generally harder then needed to be.

Abysmal work culture

My experience as a casual academic was extremely poor. The senior academic I worked for was totally disorganised and did not even seem to be able to run meetings in a coherent way. When marking post-graduate student assignments I noticed that a large number of students had been engaged in plagiarism, suggesting that a culture of copy/paste/edit was present at this University. This is possibly related to the low entrance scores that the La Trobe sets, in an attempt to make education more accessible. But the worst part of working at La Trobe was the constant barrage of anti-male content that is thrown at staff. It seems that this university is quite comfortable spreading hate and lies about ordinary men, and at the same time, claim to be world leaders in supporting diversity. They appear to be stuck in a bubble of rigid ideas, with no idea of the harm they are causing to their staff, or to their own reputation. I feel sorry for all the male staff and students at this university.

Pros

Good library

Cons

A culture of emotional violence directed towards anyone who doesn't conform.

Horrid place

Sadly my experience was shocking the management changes every 3 months with “what not” and “Do as I say and not as I do” mentality. The struggle and workload is very drastic. The management I would not recommend at all either from the place changing and little to no understanding or care. You will get angry emails everyday and given useless information passing the buck is too real here too. Most of the staff are jaded too.Security at the uni is a joke.

Pros

Time off

Cons

Passing the buck and arrogant managers

Excellent work life balance. Great campus with walking tracks, gym and eating out options.

I worked as a Senior Technical Officer in Latrobe from 2016 to 2020. It's an incredible time in my professional life. The pay was very good with 17% super. At times the pressure was very high, but there were plenty of smooth sailing days too. It took me a while to get to know people well and built the trust, but after few months into the role, with better trust, it was absolutely amazing. Their HR induction process is really good. I really enjoy the supportive culture. There's a good cultural diversity among the staff with great gender balance. I had to make a hard call to leave the organisation with a voluntary redundancy package due to the Covid 19 crisis. The detailed informative approach the senior leadership team had was truly commendable. It was a great place to work.

Pros

Great supportive culture, Professional Development opportunities, Great Super, Really nice Cafes, Excellent Labs and equipment

Cons

Public transport access is bit limited

Outsource your rile

I was an in house security officer at Latrobe when most of us were doing security directly here. It was absolutely great until management outsourced most of our roles.. Previous management was absolutely a pleasure to work for but present isn’t as much with contracted security guards taking over sadly that added to insult to our hard work.

Pros

in house security role

Cons

Outsourced most of us

I really like La Trobe Uni

I really like the team, my managers and how La Trobe is handling this very difficult times. I wish and hope to get an ongoing role soon. Like everywhere else there is a lot of politics but it's ok. I am having a great work experience.

Bullying, toxic, deceptive management

La Trobe has a toxic culture which is damaging to your mental health. Senior management over several years has selected managers who are prepared to engage in constant bullying of staff to do extra unpaid work and who repeatedly engage in deceptive practices which trick academics and professional staff to do extra unpaid work. It is a constant, tedious and stressful battle to have to argue with department heads over unfair allocation of teaching and admin work every semester. Staff are demoralised and students are affected in turn by this. Annual internal surveys repeatedly reveal staff and student satisfaction levels are low and declining. Those surveys of staff made publicly available are usually gamed (via selective participants) to portray La Trobe in a favourable light. While research expectations of academics from management are high, there is decreasing, or in some Schools, non-existent, funding for research and conference travel. Staff turnover is at a high level as people vote with their feet. Nothing will change until the State Government installs a new VC.

Pros

Wildlife sanctuary

Cons

bullying culture

Great only if you are male, white and middle aged

Terrible culture of systemic bullying and discrimination. Executive Leadership are more concerned with managing their own reputation and brand and will therefore undermine, bully and alienate the good leaders who show them up or try to challenge their behaviour into leaving. There has recently been a high turnover of senior executives and hopefully this will now changed but there are still a couple of the from the previous regime in senior leadership roles......

Pros

It’s a university so has good super

Cons

Toxic culture that is damaging to your personal wellbeing

Volunteer work experience

Volunteering at Latrobe University, Bundoora Campus. It was great experience. I would recommend others to do some volunteering to give back to the community and gain emotional intelligence experience.

Productive and fun working enviroment

As part of my Bachelors degree, I had to complete time in the field to ensure I passed the subjects. I decided to assistant lead an Outdoor Education camp to help build my canoeing skills and work will group of the same age as myself. This helped build resilience and knowledge of how to run programs with group of similar interests as me.

Jobs at La Trobe University

See more jobs

Excellent work environment

Great place to grow personally and professionally. Fair wages and work-life balance is encouraged. Excellent work environment and great opportunities to polish and develop new abilities.

Great university to work for, great values

La Trobe university has great values and work towards high education standards which is the best approach for any university. I would definitely recommend to a friend.

changes - many re-structures

La Trobe University is conducting a lot of changes in systems, cultures, and the daily work done. Many department re-structures implementing all the changes occurring. Great staff benefits, with a high super of 17.5%, gym facilities, cafes on campus, and friendly staff.

Excellent work culture and a great work environment

Excellent work culture and a great work environment. You feel empowered as the management trusts your skills . A bit old school in terms of project methodology and delivery.

Good

Not too bad at all. Good work culture and a great place to work. Employs thousands of staff and culture is laid back. Culture is great with nice people and friendly staff.

Temp opportunity with La Trobe University

enjoyed my time at La Trobe - boss was lovely and the rest of the team very friendly and helpful - it was a typical PA role with calendar management and booking travel

Good place to do work experience, wide range of possibilities

I can't say much about work at LaTrobe, because I was only there for a week to do work experience. While at LaTrobe, I assisted research scientists and learnt about their work.

Regional campus with an interesting blend of research

Supportive environment to develop ideas and collaborate across disciplines, over good coffee and homemade goodies provided at La Moka Cafe. Close to the ski-fields, river sports, bushwalking sites.

Collaborative work place

I have enjoyed interacting with students and university staff, lecturing in law , and coordinating my subject. I have found colleagues to be very helpful in providing advice including IT support and assistance in accessing teaching tools. Also, the university's physical environment and green credentials are excellent.

La Trobe Business School

- Excessive work load (teaching and admin) - Abusive culture including intimidating staff. - Salaries are ok but in the lowest quartile across the country. - No job security. Increasing schemes to push staff out. Some are allocated high work load, others relatively lower. - Toxic culture - unjutified promotions to levels D and E without appropriate qualifications. - Master graduates teaching master students. - Dodgy admissions with low standards leading to cases of depression amongst the students

Great employer

Great conditions, Interesting work on a research project. Well supported And good infrastructure with many opportunities to develop depending upon interests.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at La Trobe University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• La Trobe University