Latrobe City Council
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Latrobe City Council Employee Reviews

Australia9 reviews
Vibrant and generous company to work for once you manage to get your permanent foot in. Good atmosphere. Great social life if you get involved. Work expenses covered really well..
Pros
Great incentives
Cons
Hard to get into
Everyday is a busy day, never 2 days the same, diverse range of customers.
Very much a place of work for "if you know someone" you will get somewhere.
Pros
pay rate is good
Cons
unfairness with recognition
Start time was 8.30 am finished time was 5.00 pm however I often worked pass these hours. I learnt how to multi task, my work role included Minute taking for four departments, all financial transaction's including accounts payable/receivables , booking motels, ordering of food for functions, WHS assessments on clients homes before Support Workers attended to the client, writing of policies and procedures for WHS, filing, answering public inquiries, booking all Latrobe City Council cars for services, Audit on the WHS systems, Manual handling training of support workers, training in risk assessments, arranging any other training that was required. Archiving of all clients files,preparing Agendas for meetings and testing the RCD for support workers ( I have a licence) some managers were fine, culture was not the best, hardest part of the job was too many managers with unrealistic time frames. most enjoyable part of the job meeting different people.
Pros
learning new procedures
Cons
not enough training provided.
Independent work environment, Supervisor is always on call. Other workers are friendly and helpful. A very low stress work environment. Clients are generally very lovely and easy to get along with.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Odd and Low hours
Coming from private enterprise I found Latrobe City Council and local government overall a refreshing change and also a bit of a challenge with all the policies and procedures to follow. I have been very lucky to have worked with some great leaders and the organisation promotes self development, both personally and professionally.

The best part of my job is the work/life style balance that I have found with the flexibility to start early and finish early while still putting in 120%. This is not always the case in every position, it depends on the area you work. But my boss is extremely supportive and the team I work with are the best.
Pros
Flexible working arrangement
Cons
Policies and procedure trails which I think waste a lot of productive time
Great place to work . Excellent team to work with in an interesting and challenging environment.
Start at 8 finish at 4.30 . Can be a long and monotonous day as there is little contact with other people .
Cons
Do have to work all Public holiday
Working in the Service Centres I would start off with opening the office and turning on all office equipment, open safe and take out float and money for the previous day, turn on computers and get the till ready for receipting.
Greet customers, take requests and monies for receipting, ensure that all information for customers needs are uptodate, consolidate all money and ready for banking. Get mail ready for internal and external, do all photocoping, faxing and shredding when needed.

Balance money and run reports at the end of day, ensure everything is turned off, money is put into safe and alarm is set before leaving.

In the Call Centre I would turn off the night switch and take all messages and enter into the tracking system, take all calls that came into Council enter into tracking system and make sure that all information give to and taken from customers is confidental.

In the Library maintain the membership database accurately enrolling new members, re-enrolling members, updating information in the membership database at the request of members, assist customers in the use, and provide basic maintenance of, equipment and associated software provided for public use e.g: photocopies, PCs, scanners, microform machines, advise and assist library customers to find material and/or information and to refer such requests to specialist staff as required in accordance with information service protocols.

While working at Latrobe City Council I learnt a lot. It is hard to pin point one particular thing because I was learning something new all the time.

Management at most was
 - more...
Issuing permits for asset protection, for building of new houses, sending out building permts.

This is only Temporary Work on Call until they fill the position.
Latrobe City Council really tries to how the community as much as possible with the workers they have.
Pros
To help others.
Cons
None.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Latrobe City Council. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2