Life Without Barriers Employee Reviews

Wow... I never would have thought it possible
DSW (Former Employee) –  North queensland11 September 2018
I was a DSW employee for almost 3 years , what started off with promise soon turned into what I can only call unfair, bias, bullying and abusive environment to work in, not only for some staff... (Depending on who you were and how well you got along with management), but for clients also which is absolutely terrible and considering the business is supposed to be there for the client, it's just not on.
I am unable to continue as this site says I can't write what I really need to write.
In short, don't work there , it's a bad place with a bad work culture, when you see what you shouldn't and take it higher, they really don't care. You become a liability
You don't matter the client don't matter, only management matters and they need to be looked into seriously.
Pros
There are some clients there that make everything worth it.
Cons
I've explained the cons, there are many 😊
Don't even bother.
Disability/Aged Care Support Worker (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Alstonville NSW15 May 2018
As usual, staff and clients excellent. Management on the other hand, it's like you don't even exist. And this comment comes from the clients as well. I looked after a client who's needs had changed but he could never ever get the supervisor to return his calls. He is going elsewhere when his contract expires. My salary was incorrect from day one as I was made to perform duties outside my contract. It took another 9 months before they sorted it out. I was promised work that never happened. Take my advice and simply look elsewhere. Even if you are a client.
Pros
Other staff and clients
Cons
Well meaning organisation - pathetic lower management
Youth Worker/Team leader (Former Employee) –  Mid North Coast NSW31 August 2018
Challenging days with kids who have challenging behaviours. Lots of training offered, Lots of great team members, high burn-out rate of staff.
Hardest part of the job, Too many people emotionally attached though which you cant have in community services. Thinking they can change the world instead of sticking to protocol and then spending their shift in tears!
Best part of the job, seeing a kid turn themselves around with coaxing and prompting and making themselves a worthy member of the community.
Lower level management couldnt care less. They hardly ever engage with these kids so have NO CLUE about their lives or issues.Upper management are oblivious despite having strict guidelines and policies.
Spent my final year there having the guts to complain about all the stuff swept under the carpet. I was not very liked by LLM although the team and the kids loved me. I bailed after seven years service and dedication to those kids.
Pros
Be yourself
Cons
too many double shifts
Roll Up Your Sleeves and Dive In Culture
Regional Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Broken Hill NSW 288031 October 2018
A good place to work. Flexible hours with on-call shift availability.
Computer work is extremely important.
Good organisational and time management savvy.
Pros
In-house training, satisfaction of seeing customers thrive.
Cons
Concentration leans more towards reporting and paperwork heavy over interaction with customers.
Not up to standard
Case Co-Ordinator - NISS (Former Employee) –  Sydney14 January 2019
Unethical work practice. Management are not skilled or qualified enough for their roles, very incompetent. Workplace operates as though a call centre, bottom line is more important than client wellbeing.
great place to work
Aboriginal Cultural Support Planner (Former Employee) –  Sydney Eastern Suburbs NSW22 April 2018
Enjoyed my time there, I need to move closer to home, to balance out my work/family time. Some executive workers have attitudes that don't align with Aboriginal work ethics and community politics.
Improving clients lives rewarding
DSW (Current Employee) –  Qld18 October 2017
Have been with the company nearly 8 years. Was good to start with. Pay per hour good and weekend rates good. Sleepover rate needs to be better and they dont like paying if you are disturbed during night for awake time. Management needs improvement. Lack of communication between management and carers. Almost no praise but will give you a going over for minute things. Can't trust some co workers reporting on everything you say. Working with clients can be very rewarding and enjoyable most times. The only reason you would stay. Hours are unreliable.
Pros
Helping clients achieve a great life
Cons
Managements attitude
Great for the first few months
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Albury-Wodonga VIC23 June 2018
As permanent staff, my roster was changed all the time when I was told it would not.
Team leaders are friends with staff and those staff get what they want over others.
Managers are all over the place and you never know who you’re meant to be reporting to.
Cons
Work life balance has been terrible due to multiple roster changes
really great company
Disabilities support worker/Foster Carer (Former Employee) –  Mackay QLD3 September 2017
really great to work for and ahead of all the other support organisations when it comes to quality and person centred care requirements.
Pay was always on time and accurate with great rates and benefits.
I always had the support i needed when it came to stresses of the job and management was always contactable to discuss issues.
would recommend working with life without barriers to anybody for a great career in the support industry.
Great place to grow.
Support Disability Worker (Former Employee) –  Alice Springs NT8 August 2018
I used to collect clients from school. Enjoyed driving around the maxi van. Then we got home and completed homework and played games Then we cooked dinner together or sometimes my clients watched TV or played outside. Then we would have showers and socialise while I cook. Then have dinner and tuck girls in for bed.
Pros
Working with different people
Cons
na
LWB in Nt has bad reputation
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT10 February 2018
CEO and Executive Director needs to do something ASAP. My rating is about LWB in NT not nationwide, head office should investigate, staff turnover is massive, people just walk out without notice. Because of the Management.They dont treat staff right regardless on how good you are at you job. Resulting to being short staff that affects the qaulity of care they provide to the Clients. Management do a lot of cover ups , they are saving money by cost cutting on wages but dont save on the unnecassry things.
NSW Office should secretly do a survey or investigate and ask around the staff without disclosing the staffs identity because they are scared to get ousted in their job. Programs cant run properly because of the short staffing but yet nothing is done. LWB Nt is dragging all LWB’s name across Australia so it needs to be relooked at investigated.

CEO and Executive Director needs to do something ASAP
Pros
Working with Clients is very rewarding
Cons
Management are bullies and is good in blaiming other staff member on their Mistake
rewarding work
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Dubbo NSW10 September 2018
I enjoy my work with LWB the work can be very rewarding the company has a very high staff turnover and are lacking in staff numbers resulting in current staff often over work
Clients were all really well prepared and easy to get along with
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA26 July 2018
I enjoyed working at life without barrier because the staff were professional and the clients always enthusiastic to get out for the day. I made many long term acquaintences at LWB
Pros
Visibility in the community for dissability clients
Cons
a lot of transport involved
Cairns Managment
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cairns QLD13 March 2018
Support staff and coordinators are awesome and value and uphold LWB beliefs. Operation and Regional management however leave a lot to be desired. One particular OM has been reported for bullying many times,yet she still remains in the position. Poor decisions by HR and senior management of you ask me.
Pros
Great training, good pay
Cons
Management are bullies
Major Changes
Quality Business Partner VIC/TAS (Former Employee) –  Victoria13 November 2017
Major changes trying to work through changes and restructure. GM are not aligned with org purpose. we were told how lucky we were the CEO used her valuable time to explain the strategic plan. too many people of self importance instead of what the organisation is funded to do.
Pros
salary
Cons
No continuity
The headoffice was always clean and the staff were always friendly and happy
Foster Carer (Former Employee) –  Rockdale NSW18 June 2017
Being a Foster Carer is working from home and caring for the child. The company in general were always there for you if you need them. Very big on culture and you had to complete 3 courses per year to continue being a Carer. I guess the hardest part of the job was making the child feel welcome and comfortable in your home. The children obviously had been removed from danger. So they would be scared. The most enjoyable part of the job was making them happy and being loved.
Pros
They always looked after the Carers when in training
Cons
Always long hours
case management
Supporter of Carers (Former Employee) –  Beenleigh QLD11 February 2018
hard role but i was supported
there was which ever training that i needed
the management is very supportive of their staff
everyday was different the youth were always a challenge
Bullying, cover ups, deception, kids for profit
Residential Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW6 January 2018
Never report to community services or management will put you on split shifts sleep overs and even change your reports. Discredit the worker who puts kids before there profit and show you the door! Contracts for friends and family and money under the table!
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Office staff on power trips
Very committed to its people and clients.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  ASP NT8 April 2018
I have only been with this company for a very short period. An excellent organisation and love to stay with the organisation if possible, particularly if an opportunity arose in Melbourne due to family reasons.
Pros
induction at starting new post
Cons
I cannot identify one
Poor Darwin Management
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT7 February 2018
Management in Darwin are very amateurish, unprofessional and fail to follow their own policies and procedures. They constantly cut corners, and this affects client care. So much so, that if compliance were to pay a visit, heads would roll. So much is covered up and easily so, as management look after each other. Management have one set of rules and the rest of staff have another. If you dare to question the hierarchy, you are punished in some form or other. Ask management a question and you are not answered. Staff are afraid to speak up, for fear of retribution. There is no formal induction other than receiving a wad of paper work, and a pen at a table and told to read through it alone and answer any questions. Being shadowed on your first day of work depends on if there is available staff. Quite often you are sent out alone on your first day. There is no training, team building or support. Rosters are often sent out day by day instead of a fortnight in advance, and always have errors. Wages are always mucked about. Clients and staff constanly complain about no one answering phones. Clients complain about being wrongly invoiced, but do not want to fill out a feed back form for fear of having their services stopped. Management have taken all of the joy out of a caring role that should be very rewarding. Staff work very hard but are never rewarded and hardly acknowleged. This is part of the resson why staff are leaving in droves.
Pros
Caring for clients
Cons
Unprofessional Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Life Without Barriers. Our community is ready to answer.