Life Without Barriers Employee Reviews

Lovely staff
ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Warwick WA24 June 2019
Friendly happy lovely staff.

I really enjoy my time working with LWB

i have done two certification with LWB.

Thank you for time and good bye see you around
Bullying culture which starts from the top
Disability Team Leader (Former Employee) –  NSW18 June 2019
A horrible place to work with a bullying culture which starts from the NSW state manager practice and quality and filters down. A nasty environment which is best avoided at all costs.
Pros
Clients
Cons
The lies and bullying culture
Dsw
Disability Support Worker (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 June 2019
This is a very demanding job , can be fun but depends on the day and who you are looking after. Some clients are very demanding and can have very challenging behaviors, meaning they can get physically aggressive. Work place is ok if people work in a team. lots of different staff come through.Most in it for the money. Hard part is very physical and no support from other staff, best part is when you have a very happy client.
Pros
Good clients and good pay
Cons
long hours, short staffed and aggressive clients
Not my cup of tea!!
Payroll Officer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW18 April 2019
No management, no structure, no anything!! Great social environment, why pay people fortnightly and then spend two weeks fixing the mistakes? It’s not right!!!
Pros
People
Cons
Work
productive workplace
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mackay QLD11 February 2019
Teaching a client new things eg: ten pin bowling, table tennis, how to approach a retail sales person & small things like cooking.
I was able to approach my company with ideas of how/what we could help the clients with & they would take it on board.
Taking a young man with Downs Syndrome to the pool to find he could out swim me & a lot of other people (my clients are always surprising me with their efforts & their resilience).
The hardest part of my job was leaving it.
Pros
always something new happening
Cons
never enough time
Patients
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD21 January 2019
Learnt to be patient, kind and giving.
Most days where pretty ok and you really worked for the bad ones.
Time management.
When things where not flowing.
When things when right. And everyone was happy and content.
Pros
Learning. Had fun. Enjoyed most days.
Cons
Working with bullies, co-workers mostly. Clients where great.
Not up to standard
Case Co-Ordinator - NISS (Former Employee) –  Sydney14 January 2019
Unethical work practice. Management are not skilled or qualified enough for their roles, very incompetent. Workplace operates as though a call centre, bottom line is more important than client wellbeing.
Relatively high stress environment
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD14 January 2019
Due to government changes filtering through the industry front line workers are required to be more personally accountable, operate within stricter company guidelines (some of which are unreasonable), and work in more dangerous situations with less support.. all while receiving less compensation for their work.
Pros
Flexibility in working hours
Cons
High stress, minimal support
Roll Up Your Sleeves and Dive In Culture
Regional Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Broken Hill NSW 288031 October 2018
A good place to work. Flexible hours with on-call shift availability.
Computer work is extremely important.
Good organisational and time management savvy.
Pros
In-house training, satisfaction of seeing customers thrive.
Cons
Concentration leans more towards reporting and paperwork heavy over interaction with customers.
Wow... I never would have thought it possible
DSW (Former Employee) –  North queensland11 September 2018
I was a DSW employee for almost 3 years , what started off with promise soon turned into what I can only call unfair, bias, bullying and abusive environment to work in, not only for some staff... (Depending on who you were and how well you got along with management), but for clients also which is absolutely terrible and considering the business is supposed to be there for the client, it's just not on.
I am unable to continue as this site says I can't write what I really need to write.
In short, don't work there , it's a bad place with a bad work culture, when you see what you shouldn't and take it higher, they really don't care. You become a liability
You don't matter the client don't matter, only management matters and they need to be looked into seriously.
Pros
There are some clients there that make everything worth it.
Cons
I've explained the cons, there are many 😊
rewarding work
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Dubbo NSW10 September 2018
I enjoy my work with LWB the work can be very rewarding the company has a very high staff turnover and are lacking in staff numbers resulting in current staff often over work
Well meaning organisation - pathetic lower management
Youth Worker/Team leader (Former Employee) –  Mid North Coast NSW31 August 2018
Challenging days with kids who have challenging behaviours. Lots of training offered, Lots of great team members, high burn-out rate of staff.
Hardest part of the job, Too many people emotionally attached though which you cant have in community services. Thinking they can change the world instead of sticking to protocol and then spending their shift in tears!
Best part of the job, seeing a kid turn themselves around with coaxing and prompting and making themselves a worthy member of the community.
Lower level management couldnt care less. They hardly ever engage with these kids so have NO CLUE about their lives or issues.Upper management are oblivious despite having strict guidelines and policies.
Spent my final year there having the guts to complain about all the stuff swept under the carpet. I was not very liked by LLM although the team and the kids loved me. I bailed after seven years service and dedication to those kids.
Pros
Be yourself
Cons
too many double shifts
Great place to grow.
Support Disability Worker (Former Employee) –  Alice Springs NT8 August 2018
I used to collect clients from school. Enjoyed driving around the maxi van. Then we got home and completed homework and played games Then we cooked dinner together or sometimes my clients watched TV or played outside. Then we would have showers and socialise while I cook. Then have dinner and tuck girls in for bed.
Pros
Working with different people
Cons
na
Clients were all really well prepared and easy to get along with
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA26 July 2018
I enjoyed working at life without barrier because the staff were professional and the clients always enthusiastic to get out for the day. I made many long term acquaintences at LWB
Pros
Visibility in the community for dissability clients
Cons
a lot of transport involved
Great for the first few months
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Albury-Wodonga VIC23 June 2018
As permanent staff, my roster was changed all the time when I was told it would not.
Team leaders are friends with staff and those staff get what they want over others.
Managers are all over the place and you never know who you’re meant to be reporting to.
Cons
Work life balance has been terrible due to multiple roster changes
Don't even bother.
Disability/Aged Care Support Worker (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Alstonville NSW15 May 2018
As usual, staff and clients excellent. Management on the other hand, it's like you don't even exist. And this comment comes from the clients as well. I looked after a client who's needs had changed but he could never ever get the supervisor to return his calls. He is going elsewhere when his contract expires. My salary was incorrect from day one as I was made to perform duties outside my contract. It took another 9 months before they sorted it out. I was promised work that never happened. Take my advice and simply look elsewhere. Even if you are a client.
Pros
Other staff and clients
great place to work
Aboriginal Cultural Support Planner (Former Employee) –  Sydney Eastern Suburbs NSW22 April 2018
Enjoyed my time there, I need to move closer to home, to balance out my work/family time. Some executive workers have attitudes that don't align with Aboriginal work ethics and community politics.
Very committed to its people and clients.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  ASP NT8 April 2018
I have only been with this company for a very short period. An excellent organisation and love to stay with the organisation if possible, particularly if an opportunity arose in Melbourne due to family reasons.
Pros
induction at starting new post
Cons
I cannot identify one
Cairns Managment
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cairns QLD13 March 2018
Support staff and coordinators are awesome and value and uphold LWB beliefs. Operation and Regional management however leave a lot to be desired. One particular OM has been reported for bullying many times,yet she still remains in the position. Poor decisions by HR and senior management of you ask me.
Pros
Great training, good pay
Cons
Management are bullies
case management
Supporter of Carers (Former Employee) –  Beenleigh QLD11 February 2018
hard role but i was supported
there was which ever training that i needed
the management is very supportive of their staff
everyday was different the youth were always a challenge

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Life Without Barriers. Our community is ready to answer.