Life Without Barriers
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Life Without Barriers Employee Reviews for Disability Support Worker

Rather not comment Life without Barriers can be a wonderful place to work especially if you are related to anyone within management. I loved working with the clients of LWB and many members of staff but management, communication and empathy for unrelated staff was non existent.
The team in the residential accommodation is wonderful and the management has the welfare of workers at heart because they approach issues or challenges at work with human feelings. Working here makes me feel at home and that I am with my family.
Learned alot about all types of disabilities, team meetings weeklyDiversity in the workplace Always offered extra hoursWorking with different cultures Ability to converse with family members
Pros
Learning
Cons
Nil
Have never regretted working with them. They look after their staff and participants. Great management system. Always very active in term of managing the participants.
Pros
Great work
Cons
To give staff the necessary training in order for them to do their job effectively
Toxic place to work. Bullying behaviour is not addressed. Team Leader bullies and support this type of behaviour.. Clients are adorable. Not enough Trainings.
Pros
Some friendly co workers
Cons
Bullying Culture
- Great supportive company to work for - Challenging work - Good clients with supportive family - Flexible hours - A lot of work available if prepared to travel
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Some staff can be negative
Team Leaders and Managers are friends with certain staff who gets away with what they want. Managers are in for the money. There is high staff turn over.
LWB only care about making money. They only follow the law when it is financially viable. They put the client and the worker at risk. Many mistakes are made by the workers and the Managers turn a blind eye. They just dont care.
Management are Very poor to act on bullying. LWB could not retain good staff as manager don't have good communication skills. They have big heads don't care attitude.
Horrible company to work for . For example, at the beginning they make you do a computer training in which you see examples of things that happen during the Care Sessions. They tell you some 10 times that even if you believe or know that your Manager won't like it, you have to report all significant incidents. That's what I did and my Manager didn't like it so she made my life very difficult until I left.
Great company to work for if you choose to stay an individual with a moderate support from upper management as a day to day occupation and issues within team based banter and support when challenging issues presented themselves.
Growing facilities, dedicated staff, can be a lack of stability at management level. Complex behaviours can be stressfull. Great learning experience.
Life without barriers was quite rewarding work, taking clients to and from day programs or helping with daily routines. A typical day at work would be understanding clients medications, routines (Morning, Noon and Night) and knowing how to engage when a client is displaying a typical/atypical behaviour. In addition to this, a lot of progress note taking and documentation. I learned lots of progress note taking and feel I have a good understanding of how to deal with challenging violent behaviours. There was not much workplace culture, lots of disconnection between employees due to singular shifts and management being very selective in their communication. The most difficult part of the job was the steep learning curve when dealing with clients. It took a lot of communication with team members out of shift and to other workers to get a good understanding of how to assist clients when they're stuck in a behaviour.
management is terrible, client safety is less important then money, bullying in and outside of work, the hole place is one big mess that id never let my own family go to, was left suicidal upon my exit.
This was a very exciting place to work for. I worked in the day programme and it was never dull. All co workers and managers were great to work with. The hardest part of the job for me was sometimes having to work for extended periods with very complex need clients as not enough staff willing to take on these clients. I really enjoyed the challenge and the successes I had in this role.
This is a very demanding job , can be fun but depends on the day and who you are looking after. Some clients are very demanding and can have very challenging behaviors, meaning they can get physically aggressive. Work place is ok if people work in a team. lots of different staff come through.Most in it for the money. Hard part is very physical and no support from other staff, best part is when you have a very happy client.
Pros
Good clients and good pay
Cons
long hours, short staffed and aggressive clients
Teaching a client new things eg: ten pin bowling, table tennis, how to approach a retail sales person & small things like cooking. I was able to approach my company with ideas of how/what we could help the clients with & they would take it on board. Taking a young man with Downs Syndrome to the pool to find he could out swim me & a lot of other people (my clients are always surprising me with their efforts & their resilience). The hardest part of my job was leaving it.
Pros
always something new happening
Cons
never enough time
Learnt to be patient, kind and giving. Most days where pretty ok and you really worked for the bad ones. Time management. When things where not flowing. When things when right. And everyone was happy and content.
Pros
Learning. Had fun. Enjoyed most days.
Cons
Working with bullies, co-workers mostly. Clients where great.
I used to collect clients from school. Enjoyed driving around the maxi van. Then we got home and completed homework and played games Then we cooked dinner together or sometimes my clients watched TV or played outside. Then we would have showers and socialise while I cook. Then have dinner and tuck girls in for bed.
Pros
Working with different people
Cons
na
I enjoyed working at life without barrier because the staff were professional and the clients always enthusiastic to get out for the day. I made many long term acquaintences at LWB
Pros
Visibility in the community for dissability clients
Cons
a lot of transport involved
As permanent staff, my roster was changed all the time when I was told it would not. Team leaders are friends with staff and those staff get what they want over others. Managers are all over the place and you never know who you’re meant to be reporting to.
Cons
Work life balance has been terrible due to multiple roster changes