Life Without Barriers
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Life Without Barriers Work–Life Balance reviews

A fun and exciting career. Meeting lots of new clients and making friends is a bonus. A very rewarding career. Every day is different and lots of fun.
The team in the residential accommodation is wonderful and the management has the welfare of workers at heart because they approach issues or challenges at work with human feelings. Working here makes me feel at home and that I am with my family.
Good company to work for a lot of cultural acceptance and can listen to your needs and help you to do your work the best you can as well as a positive work environment!
Cons
- Great supportive company to work for - Challenging work - Good clients with supportive family - Flexible hours - A lot of work available if prepared to travel
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Some staff can be negative
It was very fun to work with new people i learnt many new things as well as many new responsibilities. my typical day would have been waking the kids up and getting them breakfast then making sure they have all the right equipment for the day come home prepare dinner and make sure they keep up with their hygiene
No work life balance. Staff are not respected very toxic. management in asylum seekers program don’t value the staff it’s all about pleasing immigration department. Some other programs are great as managers are great. Good organisations but you have to be in the right team.
LWB only care about making money. They only follow the law when it is financially viable. They put the client and the worker at risk. Many mistakes are made by the workers and the Managers turn a blind eye. They just dont care.
The workplace culture appears to be very inconsistent, very few chances to advance within the Organisation. It can be extremely difficult to discuss matters of concern with Upline Managers,
Cons
long hours very little Positive Support from Mangers
Horrible company to work for . For example, at the beginning they make you do a computer training in which you see examples of things that happen during the Care Sessions. They tell you some 10 times that even if you believe or know that your Manager won't like it, you have to report all significant incidents. That's what I did and my Manager didn't like it so she made my life very difficult until I left.
Great company to work for if you choose to stay an individual with a moderate support from upper management as a day to day occupation and issues within team based banter and support when challenging issues presented themselves.
Well managed, good place to work, the staff are ready to put you through if you are new, they have lots of training that will help you. Work and life balance is very ok.
management is terrible, client safety is less important then money, bullying in and outside of work, the hole place is one big mess that id never let my own family go to, was left suicidal upon my exit.
Good to work , good values , easy to learn. Flexible working arrangements and sometimes choice of location. Well supported through training. More can be done with more targeted training.
I enjoy working with people who are disadvantaged and to be apart of giving them a better opportunity in life. I also love the benefit of having a direct input into the sipper they require to help them succeed.
Pros
Feeling great helping others
Cons
I worked for 2 group homes. The first one the induction was...well, I could even call it an Induction. To be honest I don’t know what it was. I didn’t enjoy working there at all. One of the participants was physically aggressive and I got hit a few times. The second group home was better. Co-workers were good. However the job gets very repetitive, it gets boring and nobody teaches you anything that can be beneficial for the participants and you.
This is a very demanding job , can be fun but depends on the day and who you are looking after. Some clients are very demanding and can have very challenging behaviors, meaning they can get physically aggressive. Work place is ok if people work in a team. lots of different staff come through.Most in it for the money. Hard part is very physical and no support from other staff, best part is when you have a very happy client.
Pros
Good clients and good pay
Cons
long hours, short staffed and aggressive clients
Teaching a client new things eg: ten pin bowling, table tennis, how to approach a retail sales person & small things like cooking. I was able to approach my company with ideas of how/what we could help the clients with & they would take it on board. Taking a young man with Downs Syndrome to the pool to find he could out swim me & a lot of other people (my clients are always surprising me with their efforts & their resilience). The hardest part of my job was leaving it.
Pros
always something new happening
Cons
never enough time
Learnt to be patient, kind and giving. Most days where pretty ok and you really worked for the bad ones. Time management. When things where not flowing. When things when right. And everyone was happy and content.
Pros
Learning. Had fun. Enjoyed most days.
Cons
Working with bullies, co-workers mostly. Clients where great.
As permanent staff, my roster was changed all the time when I was told it would not. Team leaders are friends with staff and those staff get what they want over others. Managers are all over the place and you never know who you’re meant to be reporting to.
Cons
Work life balance has been terrible due to multiple roster changes
Enjoyed my time there, I need to move closer to home, to balance out my work/family time. Some executive workers have attitudes that don't align with Aboriginal work ethics and community politics.
Never report to community services or management will put you on split shifts sleep overs and even change your reports. Discredit the worker who puts kids before there profit and show you the door! Contracts for friends and family and money under the table!
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Office staff on power trips